Closed Accounts Query

Mr_Matt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Can someone tell me how long a credit card company or bank is legally obliged to hold your records after the accounts have been closed?

I had an Abbey National account which I closed around 2001/2002. When I phoned them today to try and get the account number they said they had no record of it! The lady said they don't hold closed account details for more than 1 year.

I said I was sure that they were obliged to hold it for longer than that but she was adamant.

Any help appreciated!

Matt

They should definitley hold 6 years worth of all information including closed accounts - for tax reasons alone. If they haven't got the information you can get them in serious trouble with the Inland Revenue and maybe some other governing bodies.

The issue is probably that the person you spoke doesn't know how to access closed account information or doesn't know it is kept - a lot of companies ship off this stuff to other countries or sealed storage elsewhere. However, they still have to abide by the DPA limit of 40 days and that starts from the date you paid the DPA charge (Max £10 - If required - they don't have to charge it but most do). If you send them the template letter found in the library on this site with a £10 cheque (recorded delivery of course) then they have 40 days from say two days after the date of posting.

If you give them your address at the time you held the account, date of birth, full name then it should be up to them to trace the account.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

One further query. I found from my Experian report that the account was opened in 1997 and settled in March 2001. Is the six year period from the opening of the account or the closing date? It may not be worth pursuing!

Thanks once again.

Matt

Hi again

I have now spoken with six different departments at Abbey and none of them have any record of my account with them. I will send a DPA request to them and see what they come back with. What are the repercussions if they cannot supply the data requested?

Thanks in advance

Matt

If they can't provide (or indeed find!) the information I believe the correct course of action is to lodge a complaint with the Information Comissioner.

Someone else here should be able to give you a bit more help, but in the meantime if you Google for Data Protection Act then you should find out what the correct procedure is.

If they really can't find it then it's a serious issue and will not be taken lightly. Keeping records like this for 6 years is a basic legal requirement for any business, even self-employed and sole traders. I do the odd bit of web design in my spare time and I run it all legitimately (even though I can't spell it!) and I know how much grief I would get for not being able to provide records on demand. I suspect it would at the very least trigger a big fine and a full audit of the bank in question.

Keep us posted on what happens!

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

• 2 months later...

Finally a response from Abbey:

"Blah, blah....after making a search for this data based on the information you provided, I regret that we have been unable to locate any information regarding the actual account and as such we can find no transactional information. Blah, blah returning your £10 etc.

Historical information can only be retained if there is a legitimate reason for processing the personal data in accordance with the rights of the individual. It is possible that due to the time that has elapsed since the account has been redeemed or closed, the original files may have been destroyed in line with our retention policies."

Is there any financial point in pursuing this any further? Abbey obviously can't find my old account so there won't be any chance of me making a claim. What are the possible outcomes if I report them to the Information Commisioner?

Just wondering if this one is worth pursuing.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

The only person who can decide whether it is worth pursuing is you. Do you think that you had many charges in the year between july 2000 and the closing of the account? If you don't think there will be many then don't bother but if the account was in difficulty at the time you might have some money to claim.

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks