Govia fare evasion used 11-15 years oyster card. **RESOLVED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

In June and July this year i was caught with a 11-15 years Oyster card (cousins) at London St Pancreas Int (Thameslink), which was taken away from me.

I used the card from 08/06/2020-12/06/2020 (5 days) to travel to work.

I used the card the following month again on the 28/07/2020 for the same reason (only then i was stopped and ask questions from the inspector waiting at the gates)

Now for some context first im 18 & I got through the gate fine however the inspector come up to me and showed his ID and i and asked to see my ticket, he asked me to follow him back to the gate (Was not going to run for it)

He asked me for details such as name address as i had no ID on me at the time (he looked up my address and asked me to tell him who i lived with and their name) - talk about privacy! & he also check when the oyster was last used etc....

after that was done i went on my way just thinking i would get a fine,

on the 26th September i got a letter about "Notice Of Intention To Prosecute" and i had to tell my side/events in which i sent back apologising and explaining the reason. 

Today i got a letter back from them (can be seen in attached) 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What can i expect, as a settlement out of court has gone out the window i take it now.

First time going to court so what could i get charged for

Lastly i for sure learnt a lesson and am 100% at fault 

can you pop the letter up as a PDF please so we can zoom

read upload carefully

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

probably be a single justice Procedure case

can yo popup your begging letter please

there is no need to 100% assume OOC is dead yet.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

There you go 

To Whom It May Concern:
I had lost my own Oyster card (Did not want to tell my Dad as it's not the first time) and I needed to
travel into town.

I borrowed my cousins card not thinking it would be a problem as I would still be paying for the fare
and didn't want to touch the machines due to Covid as I'm very conscience as my Mum works in a
care home and I needed to be careful.

I was 100% compliant with the inspector when I was stopped and I'm sorry that if I knew at the time
it was wrong to use another family members card, I would have never done this and profusely
apologise, I'm very embarrassed and this certainly has been a learning exercise and it will never
happen again.

if i were to be honest 

that is woefully lacking.

have a good read of a few threads here of like cases

and knock up a better personalised begging letter

post it here 1st .

• Thanks 1

and they

Thank you

The first letter they sent me which i had to explain my reasons and events didnt have a phone number, name or email address only a address to post the letter.

This email that i got in response now has two phone numbers but no name 

i was more pointing toward your personal stuff of what happened and why you did it.

its good you didn't intimate number of uses and i suspect the org letter simply referred to one incident?

and they

Okay ill work on another letter and the org letter says,

"Details of Offence"

"That you on 28 Jul 2020, Did enter a train for the purpose of travelling on the railway, and upon inspection At London St Pancras Int (STP); did not produce a valid ticket entitling travel."

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wish to offer my sincere apologies for the offence I committed on 28th July. My actions were foolish and I promise I will never do anything like that ever again.

I decided to use my cousins’ oyster card in a brief moment where I lost my judgement on being honest and staying truthful. I can only apologise for my actions, explain why I did it and then promise to never lack that kind of judgement ever again. The reasons behind my actions are stupid and in hindsight, should not have impacted my judgement whatsoever. 

Regardless, I used my cousin’s oyster card and not mine which I had lost and didn't want to tell my dad as it's not the first time and at the time I was unaware that I couldn't use his card and did not know the consequences .

I have just come out of college and started a Cyber Security and Network Engineering Apprenticeship at a telecommunications company. I am currently learning the Cisco Networking curriculum. If this goes to court, I don’t stand a chance because it was such a stupid, easy mistake to make. If this goes to court, I could be served a criminal record which means I can no longer learn the Cisco Networking curriculum, no job in Cyber Security/Network engineering and no promising path ahead of me. 

please understand that I whole-heartedly apologise for my careless, stupid and foolish mistake and I promise nothing like that will ever happen again. I appreciate TfL and Network Rail and without these two crucial companies, London doesn’t move.

In conclusion, nothing would make my life better than if we could settle out-of-court. I am more than willing to pay for the fares and of course, any administrative/legal fees you have incurred as a result of my lack of judgement.

Sincerest Regards,

NAME

blue bit needs rewording , and you seriously need to stop relatedly apologising again and again through out the letter.

once at the top 

once at the end.

try this:

start it by saying

i thank you for your letter dated xxxx, it's contents are duly noted and very concerning to me.

Since my fatal mistake on (offence date) i have ensured i have always purchased valid tickets and now use a new oyster card and am taking extra special care of it. ( adapt if not the method now used). My life has also moved on in many other positive ways and having finished my college course i am happily now employed in my chosen career with a market leader as an apprentice in Cyber Security.

It Troubles me immensely to learn that my silly mistake by listening to my friends at college might lead to a criminal record that will destroy my present and any future prospects of employment in this field. 

As i indicated in my earlier letter, i am now even more regretful of my actions and i wish to profusely apologise for the time, trouble and inconvenience i have cause TfL and it's staff over this juvenile mistake that sees me possibly facing court action.

i wish at all costs to avoid a criminal record and I am happy to make immediate payment of the unpaid fare and any incurred costs that my actions have caused to settle this before it proceeds further.

I would appreciate your consideration and I sincerely hope that you can show some leniency in this matter.

and they

@dx100ukThank you very much for your response and what you wrote is written much better than what i sent in first.

I edited it with the correct information.

Dear Fare Evasion Manager,

I thank you for your letter dated 28th September, it's contents are duly noted and are very concerning to me.

Since my fatal mistake on 28th July I have ensured I have always purchased valid tickets and have done so through apple pay. I have not ordered a new oyster; my new job requires me to move far out of London.

My life has also moved on in many other positive ways and having finished my college course I am now happily employed in my chosen career path as an apprentice in Cyber Security/Networking.

It Troubles me immensely to learn that my silly mistake by listening to my family & friends might lead to a criminal record that will destroy my present and any future prospects of employment in this field. 

As I indicated in my earlier letter, I am now even more regretful of my actions and I wish to profusely apologise for the time, trouble and inconvenience I have caused TfL and it's staff over this juvenile mistake that sees me possibly facing court action.

I wish at all costs to avoid a criminal record and I am happy to make immediate payment of the unpaid fare and any incurred costs that my actions have caused to settle this before it proceeds further.

I would appreciate your consideration and I sincerely hope that you can show some leniency in this matter.

MY NAME

DATED 00/00/2020

Just an update, 

i have not sent this letter yet...

My Father has started the process of getting a solicitor involved and says we will be having a chat next week and that it could be resolved over the phone instead. (stating i was going to send this letter)

My question is, i feel so stressed that im not sending this letter so what should i say to my Father so i can post this letter ASAP (Feel like waiting and waiting and not trying to send this letter is a bad idea)

Edited by Adamh8

a solicitor is a waste of money and cannot help you

send the letter.

dx

and they

then let him waste his money

there is nothing a solicitor can do for you that you can't do yourself.

and ofcourse moneywise it will end up simply a greater overall bill for the same outcome.

there are 100's of charlatan solicitors out there that simply charge money for rubbish advice that is of little help other than lining their pockets 

there is no sign of a court case yet either

and he wont even be able to attend as it will be a Single Justice Procedure 

:crazy:

and they

If you want your case to be heard in magistrates court, you can either plead guilty and request a hearing or plead not guilty and a hearing will be allocated. The options should be on the SJP Plea Form which you received.

Edited by Will Goodfellow

I agree with dx.

I've been following our transport forum for years and I don't remember a case where having a lawyer helped. What's more likely to happen is that your father will be billed for the lawyer's learning curve on fare evasion.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

please don't ever plead not guilty on public transport ticket issue.

you'll end up a nasty creek with more to pay than ever.

and they

3 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

please don't ever plead not guilty on public transport ticket issue.

you'll end up a nasty creek with more to pay than ever.

Indeed. We had a member called iambilly who played that game and lost badly.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

3 hours ago, dx100uk said:

there is no sign of a court case yet either

and he wont even be able to attend as it will be a Single Justice Procedure 

:crazy:

So why is dx100uk saying the solicitor won't be able to attend if he's submitting a not guilty plea? It makes no sense to me.

What is the single justice procedure?

The single justice procedure is a special type of magistrates’ court proceedings.

Cases are dealt with:

• By one magistrate (the single justice). who has a trained legal adviser with them.
  • Outside a courtroom. Most cases are heard in an office inside the court building.
  • On paper only.
  • In private. Prosecutors, defence lawyers, police officers, witness and defendants are not allowed to be there.
  • Without a fixed hearing date. Unlike traditional court hearings the single justice does not give a specific time or date when the case will be considered.

When will the single justice not deal with a case?

• When the accused pleads not guilty. These cases will be referred to a magistrates’ court for a trial.
  • When the accused asks for a full court hearing. The single justice can never deal with a case when the defendant asks for a full court hearing.
  • In all cases where the defendant asks for a full hearing.
  • When the accused is going to be disqualified from driving. If there is a possibility of a driving ban, the single justice will normally refer the case to a full magistrates’ court hearing. The court then sends out a summons with a court date. The defendant can then go to court and put forward mitigation and arguments about a driving ban.

https://www.gov.uk/single-justice-procedure-notices

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread