1Life fitness center

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I signed up to my local 1Life gym last year but cancelled it in February luckily before all this covid started well so I thought 

today out of the blue I get a text from a company called DFC with 2 missed payments of the gym and a late fee 

well of course I wasn’t impressed

emailed the gym as could not get through

they responded 1 min before they closed saying I signed up to 12 months

I could have not cancelled but when I signed up on the phone the guy assured me it was a rolling month contract I could cancel any time else I would have not taken it out 

I have not paid it and sent 2 emails one back to DFC and one to the gym telling them all this and that it’s obviously a admin issue your side and to get this sorted ASAP else I’ll be taking it further 

what else can I do should I be worried I never received a contract anyway? 

It's the usual story with gyms.  Of course like most people, you listen to the sale spiel without checking the writing when you sign on and without making any record of what you have been told.

You have nothing to worry about but please wait till my site team colleague @slick132 comes along to advise you.

• Thanks 1

just ignore them all.

stuff and all anyone can do.

read the red bits below..

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Paul and welcome to CAG

When you cancelled in Feb this year, did you give them 30 days notice?

And how did you give that notice - email, verbally ? 

Or did you simply cancel the DD mandate and not contact the gym at all ?

Make no further contact with the gym or the DCA, neither by phone nor by email.

Not receiving a contract means little. More important is that you were misled by the gym staff when joining, plus the fact that there is little the DCA can, or will, do.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick 123

I spoke to someone at the gym then cancelled the direct debit. I must admit I cancelled my dd before 30 days so at the most I owe them £19.99

but nothing to what they are saying as well as 2 more payments to November 

Instead of simply ignoring demands, you could write a final offer letter to the gym saying:-

Dear 1 Life Fitness Center,

I refer to my membership that started last year which your staff member told me was a rolling monthly agreement.

I cancelled in February this year but failed to give you a month's notice. So I now offer to pay you the final month's fee in full settlement of all that I owe.

If you accept my offer in writing, supply bank account details and a payment reference, I will pay the fee.

My offer is valid for 14 days only and, if you fail to accept in writing or demand any higher amount, I will pay you nothing and ignore all further demands from you and/or DFC.

Yours sincerely,

Send this to the gym by posted letter and get a free Certificate of Posting at the PO.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Sorry Paulm, I should have also said, normally gyms and/or their DCA's are too greedy to accept the money you offer.

They'll demand more in gym fees and/or unlawful admin fees than your letter offers, but end up with nothing because there's little they can do when you ignore the DCA's collection attempts.

Let us know how the gym replies, if they do.

Oh, and if they phone you, tell them, "In writing only." , then hang up.

1 minute ago, slick132 said:

Sorry Paulm, I should have also said, normally gyms and/or their DCA's are too greedy to accept the money you offer.

They'll demand more in gym fees and/or unlawful admin fees than your letter offers, but end up with nothing because there's little they can do when you ignore the DCA's collection attempts.

Let us know how the gym replies, if they do.

Oh, and if they phone you, tell them, "In writing only." , then hang up.

Thanks will do slick123