Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • I’m currently on day 9 of mild symptoms  Starting about 5 days after My daughter had symptoms and subsequently tested positive.  she’s well over it now.   From my point of view I’ve had far Worse but Christ the symptoms are weird.    Anyway apparently if I’ve made it to day 9 or 10 without taking a turn for the worse , chances I’m on the road to recovery, so that’s some kind of relief.
    • Dr North highlights an unwanted effect of Lockdown and closure of food outlets and pubs, rodent infestations, rats go where there is food.   https://www.turbulenttimes.co.uk/news/corona/covid-rats/
    • We will see if the Role Of 6 and being outside etc hold fast tomorrow with Halloween, will the Children rebel and go Trick or Treating?  Will 9 and 10 year old's be Tasered for disobeying a copper?
    • It's not just the elite and the masses either. It seems to me that lockdown is skewed to the north, or at least away from the south east.   The R number seems to be a blunt instrument and there are areas with higher number that aren't locked down. Yet again, let the local public health people decide.
    • Firstly let me say that this is not a frustrated contract because in order to meet the requirements of the doctrine of frustration, the contract must be really impossible to perform.  Maybe because the house doesn't exist anymore or because there is a law against it etc. Here you are simply talking about delay. So please forget frustration.   Secondly the advice you have received from Citizens Advice I'm afraid is dangerous and could lead you into litigation which you might possibly lose. Ignore it.   One thing I am not clear on it is how long the installation work will take. What have you been told?   I understand that you made a contract which suggested that the installation might take place at any time before mid-november. I'm afraid that in these kinds of service or building contracts you have to accept a reasonable delay. A 1st of February deadline was completely unacceptable and would have been unreasonable. However I understand that under pressure from you they have now given you a deadline of 7th of December.   Firstly I think that a delay of a time up to the 7th of December is probably just within the bounds of reasonableness. Secondly because you effectively put pressure on them to have a shorter deadline and they came up with the 7th of December one could say that you have now been complicit in the delay and so I don't think you are in a position to reject it.   I understand that your confidence may have been undermined by what has happened so far and I think that you are justified but I'm afraid that I don't think that gives you  a reason or an opportunity to void the contract now.   I think you are going to have to accept 7th of December installation date but I think it would be reasonable now for you to write to the supplier and to let them know that time is of the essence and that the 7th of December deadline is the last date which you will accept for installation and if the installation does not occur on that date then you will consider that the contract has been terminated by their breach and you will take all necessary action to recover your money.   I think you should send this letter in the form of a letter of claim.   A letter of claim normally gives 14 days notice before County Court action will be commenced.   In this case I think that you can give them notice that if the installation does not occur by the 7th of December and if you then do not receive your full refund by the 14th of December you will start the immediate action in the county court to recover the money plus interest and without any further notice.   The advice above depends on what you have to tell me about the time needed for the installation. Also if you decide to send the letter of claim which I've suggested above then I think it will be a good idea if you would draft your letter of claim and post it here so we can check it.    
  • Our picks

    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.
      We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.
      After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.
      It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.
      A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?
      After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.
      The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 
      You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.
        • Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.
      I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.
      As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.
      If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.
      They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.
      If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.
      The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.
      They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.
      Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks
        • Like

Lost SIM - requested but never received

Recommended Posts



I am with Vodafone, I lost my SIM and requested it over the phone twice, but after a month I have not received it. I complained to them, and all I am getting are emails requesting me to fill out forms to pass security checks first in order to look into the matter.


I cancelled my payment and I want to end my early contract for their failure to provide me with a SIM.


I sent them a letter today with 7 days to reply or take the matter with the Ombudsman.


I am wondering if there is any ground for ending the contract for their failure to provide me with the SIM.


If not, can I request compensation for the loss of usage and being without a phone for more than a month now.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Failure to provide you with the same is excellent grounds for ending the contract. If you have given the reasonable notice that you need a new seven and they have failed to provide it then they have effectively deprived you of the entire purpose of the contract and that amounts to, what is known in law, as a – fundamental breach. This effectively can terminate the contract.

The big problem is that Vodafone don't recognise this kind of reasonable behaviour or the legal rules. As you have stopped your payment, you can be certain that Vodafone will go into debt collection mode and will blight you and eventually blight your credit file.

Make sure that you have got everything in writing. Don't rely on phone calls unless you have recorded them. Read our customer services guide.

Before you fall out with Vodafone completely, get your PAC code – go to GiffGaff and get a Sim card there and transfer your number there. GiffGaff is probably the best as they are monthly and you could alter your monthly contract to suit your usage month by month and you can leave anytime you want.

Be careful about Vodafone. They are like dinosaurs and they are more interested in crushing you then providing a decent service.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tips, I will do so, but to get my PAC isn't possible, since they have my sim, I am not sure what else I can do regarding my number.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that there was now a website link where you simply clicked and entered your number and got a PAC code


Link to post
Share on other sites



I see, you're saying that as you can't access your text, you can't retrieve a PAC code.

How about going online? Surely if you go to the Vodafone website you will be able to access your account

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...