• Tweets

• If you do get a letter of Claim and or Pre Action Protocol pack 15. Where there has been non-compliance with a pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction, the court may order that (a) the parties are relieved of the obligation to comply or further comply with the pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction; (b) the proceedings are stayed while particular steps are taken to comply with the pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction; (c) sanctions are to be applied. 16. The court will consider the effect of any non-compliance when deciding whether to impose any sanctions which may include— (a) an order that the party at fault pays the costs of the proceedings, or part of the costs of the other party or parties; (b) an order that the party at fault pay those costs on an indemnity basis; (c) if the party at fault is a claimant who has been awarded a sum of money, an order depriving that party of interest on that sum for a specified period, and/or awarding interest at a lower rate than would otherwise have been awarded; (d) if the party at fault is a defendant, and the claimant has been awarded a sum of money, an order awarding interest on that sum for a specified period at a higher rate, (not exceeding 10% above base rate), than the rate which would otherwise have been awarded. https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct   .
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
    • Thanks all! My wife was driving at the time (took our daughter to get new school uniform) and I wasn't there so I'm not sure what the signage was actually like, but yes, Parkopedia says 2:30, so it's barely over that. I will check it out with her when she gets home later, I haven't even told her about this yet as she'll probably be quite upset. So - likely my best response at this stage is to just wait it out until a Letter Before Claim arrives?
    • check mcol does it state DQ N180 sent to you? if it does then: https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/347310-legal-n180-directions-questionnaire-small-claims-track/#comment-5088148 3 copies yes to mediation (unless you filed our Statute Barred Defence OR this is a claim for a Private Parking Ticket) 1 wit you Suitability for determination without a hearing? no (that the issues are so complex they need to be argued orally') the rest is obv 1 to the court 1 to their sols (omit phone/sig/email) if no sols send to claimant 1 for your file   dx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6224 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm really worried about my claim. Does anyone have some advice. I asked my bank for the statements and only recieved 2 years, so i have sent them letter stating,that because they have not sent the full statements that I've had to estimate the total owed to me. I have sent the Prelim letter & LBA.

I recieved a response saying that I have operated my account in such a way that I have incurred charges and they may take me to court. Also if they dont hear anything in 8 weeks then they consider the matter closed.

I'm concerned now.. I just dont know whether to give up now.. I dont want to go to court...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really worried about my claim. Does anyone have some advice. I asked my bank for the statements and only recieved 2 years, so i have sent them letter stating,that because they have not sent the full statements that I've had to estimate the total owed to me. I have sent the Prelim letter & LBA.

I recieved a response saying that I have operated my account in such a way that I have incurred charges and they may take me to court. Also if they dont hear anything in 8 weeks then they consider the matter closed.

I'm concerned now.. I just dont know whether to give up now.. I dont want to go to court...

Hi Martin, don't worry bout their response, it seems they are just getting worse with there threats - there's no evidence to suggest that your claim will be any different to any other in here, therefore it is highly unlikely that they'll take you to court - more like you'll be taking them [don't worry, they won't turn up anyway!]

YB are reknown for their scare tactics, and rely on these to make people back off. Stick to your timescale and follow each step in the FAQ's.

We're all in the same boat, or have been - they will pay up, trust me, they do not want to appear in court and prove that their charges are all bull!

If you get stuck, or get the jitters again, just give a shout here and someone will be along to put your mind at rest.

Hope this helps. PJ x

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

Martin,

Did you send off a S.A.R letter and send your £10 cheque?

If so they should supply you with at least the last 6 years worth of statements.

If this is the case get onto them and make sure they are aware they have not complied with your request and have to do so.

Do not make an estimate of charges that will not be admissable in court etc. and above all

DO NOT GIVE UP THAT MONEY IS RIGHTFULLY YOURS

Dont hesitate to ask for any help

Jules

xxxx

Hi jules

Thankyou so much for your reply.. Yes I sent the letter requesting the statements and i only recieved 2 yrs worth.. so i sent a prelim letter and a LBA.. but my amounts have been an estimate because I dont have the full statements.. Im not sure what letter to send now, being that you say that I shouldn't make estimates.. And I obviously shouldnt send the court action letter yet..

Oh boy...

Sorry Martin, it was late when I replied to your post last night, so didn't read it fully! Anyway, here is a link to what you need to do now http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/6986-data-protection-act-non.html

Hope this helps a little more!

PJ xx

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

Does anyone have any advice for me regarding my claim with Yorkshire Bank?

I sent a letter requesting the statements and made my £10 payment. I only recieved 2 yrs worth of statements.. I was advised to calculate the amount owed from the statements and estimate the remaining amount (4 yrs).

I have sent my prelim and LBA letters. I've only recieved one reply from yorkshire bank stating that I have operated the bank in such a way that i have incurred charges and they are not refunding me.

I was advised in the forum that I shouldn't have made any estimates, that I should send a letter requesting the remaining of the statements. So I have requested the statements, and I'm awaiting a reply.

But does that mean that I should start the process again.. ie; send the LBA and PRELIM LETTER again? once I have recieved the statements?

Your help is much appreciated...

Hi Martin

its fine to estimate for the period they haven't supplied statements.

you don't need to reissue your prelim and LBA, unless your statements arrive before you issue your court claim and you then have definite figures to work on. In that case if the actual figure is higher I'd suggest an amended LBA giving them a further 7 days before you commence court action. If the figure is lower you won't need to do that.

so start your court claim. this might actually prompt them into sending out the actual information if they are going to refute your figures!

you don't need to change the wording of the particulars of claim to show that the figures have been estimated but would obviously need to mark the schedule of charges to show which charges have been estimated.

once you've started your claim, if you receive the statements and discover that you've underclaimed you can apply to court to amend your claim with a non-reclaimable fee of £35. if you've overclaimed don't worry about amending the claim, just wait until the bank start negotiating with you and accept the lower figure offered. or if it gets to Allocation Questionnaire stage and they're not making any offers to settle, you just write at Other Information (on the AQ form) the fact that you have overestimated, they have now provided the info which has enabled you to recalculate your claim at the lower figure.

Estimates are not ideal, but I think Bong has advised well on this. YB are not the quickest to pay up so it is probably as well to get the ball rolling.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 3 weeks later...

Bong thank you so much for your reply.. I really appreciate it. Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply to you.

I was told by so many people that I shouldnt have made estimates, that I went ahead and sent a letter requesting my statements again. I have recieved so many letters from YB, except my bloody statements. So I started the process again. Prelim & LBA...

Problem is that I got so confused with the process that I havent continued. Im worried now that I have left it too late. Can I still continue?

Martin

Would someone be able to advise me what to do if I am trying to claim back money from a couple of accounts from the same bank..

Would I start the process again with different account details. Or could they be put together?

Thankyou for your help in advance..

Hi Martin.

When you send for your account info, include both account numbers, you will get it all in one go then.

Provided the total claim is below £5000 then lump them together, (where you would put the account number in your claim, put both.

If the total comes to over £5000, then you would be better keeping them seperate and therefore in small claims rather than fast-track.

Good luck with your claim.

Regards, Rooster.

• Haha 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Not a problem.

Calculate the charges on each account seperately, then just add the totals.

As easy as that.;)

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

• 4 weeks later...

Just sit back and wait.They will defend ,then you will get a letter from court advising of a transfer of proceedings to your local court.The AQ to fill in and a copy of the banks defence.

If I have helped please click the scales bottom right;)

• Haha 1
;) If this helps please click the scales bottom left