Booking.com won't refund my son - *** Refunded***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1114 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son booked a few days away in a cottage, 23/3/2020 until 26/3/2020. £375.

He could not go because of lockdown. Booking.com have been giving him the run- around along with the cottage owner.

Booking.com, said they can't refund because the owner has not confirmed the refund request? He can't get any reply from the owner. I have used Resolver, and basically they don't do anything, its been escalated, all to no avail.

His bank ( Halifax) say it's too late for them to help?

Can anyone advise please?

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

How did your son pay...CC or Debit Card or  Transfer and what date did he make payment ?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

There is a time limit on chargeback claims - typically 120 days from the transaction processing date, or from when you expected to receive the goods/service if it’s being delivered. So, contact your bank as soon as you identify the problem because the clock may have already started ticking.

There are some scenarios where the chargeback timeline is longer than the usual 120 days or starts from a different date.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-do-i-use-chargeback

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

And why did you leave it so long before coming here?

the 120 days runs from when he discovered he could use chargeback.

that must be within 540 days of the relevant card transaction.

sadly halifax are useless everytime over chargeback 

and never get things right.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

What are my rights if I paid for travel with a debit or credit card?

You may be able to benefit from either chargeback (payment dispute) or Section 75 (credit card only).

Chargeback

A chargeback is a scheme put in place to protect customers, also known as a payment dispute. It allows credit and debit cardholders the ability to request a refund through their card issuer in a number of different scenarios. This includes where you have not received what you have paid for. We as your card issuer will refund you and will then seek to claim the payment back from the original merchant. However, merchants can dispute the chargeback request and this may result in your account having the payment taken again.

Chargeback rights cover the amount of the card transaction only, other losses cannot be claimed. A chargeback claim must also be made within a set time period. This is usually 120 days from the date of purchase, or from when the goods or services were expected to be received, though longer periods may apply in certain situations. 

https://www.halifax.co.uk/helpcentre/coronavirus/travel-disruption-faqs.html#:~:text=A chargeback claim must also,may apply in certain situations.

If it's helpful the "official" description of how Chargeback works is on the 'UK Finance' website (the website of the UK banking industry), Visa's own site redirects there.

https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/area-of-expertise/cards/chargeback-and-section-75

"...your card issuer usually needs to start the chargeback process within 120 days from when you made the transaction or when you were due to receive the goods or services."

our guide

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yup, find the CEO/ MD details and email them. Worked for me with Opodo. I believe Booking are part of the same organisation .

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I may be wasting your time, but I regularly use Booking.com including three times this summer.  I vaguely remember them e-mailing me several times at the start of the lockdown mentioning extraordinary cancellation policies, all of which I've unfortunately deleted as I had nothing booked with them at the time (I booked for this summer once lockdown was eased in June).

However, surely they have policies to deal with properties that absolutely refuse to reply to guests.

Can you name the accommodation please?  Then I'll log on to Booking.com and see from the reviews if others have had the same runaround or if anyone has found a solution.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Not section 75...thats for credit card payment.

I can certainly see why your son booked there.  The place has rave reviews from previous guests.  I'm surprised they are being so unprofessional with your son.

On their page under "Questions" they've written

Hi there! On the booking listing on the search page it says free cancellation, however when I go to book it says non refundable. Please can you confirm whether there is free cancellation on this for November bookings? Thanks!

Hello, Our cancellation policy is free cancellation upto 60 days before arrival. However if White Cross Bay has to close due to a second lockdown, we will re schedule your stay or offer a full refund.

I would suggest your son write to them through Booking.com's internal messaging system (Bookings > Owls House > Contact the property) and if they don't reply within 48 hours demand that Booking.com intervene. 

N.B.  After a certain amount of time and/or a certain amount of bookings this internal messaging system ceases to work for old bookings so it might fail, but, hey, it's worth a try, it'll only take 10 minutes..

On their COVID Info. page Booking.com go on about bookings after 6 April, basically saying that after that date everyone knows about COVID and that travelling is a risk so it's a good idea to book places that offer free cancellation.  However, before that date - which would apply to your son - I'm pretty sure they had some scheme where you could cancel even if not normally allowed.  Sorry to be vague, but again this is worth looking into.

I suggest these things on a "belt & braces" basis. Obviously keep fighting to get the money back through the Halifax as others have suggested!

Great, so far I have emailed the CEO of booking.com, the Owels cottage ( they apparently told booking.com) that they won't 'accept' the refund / cancelation. I have now contacted them via Kalvin login via booking.com. and raised a charge back is via Halifax.

The booking was for 23-26 of March, Boris Johnson forbid it on 23th March announcement :

From this evening I must give the British people a very simple instruction - you must stay at home.

Because the critical thing we must do is stop the disease spreading between households.

That is why people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:

• shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
  • one form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household;
  • any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person; and
  • travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.

Surly, one of them will pay off. Morally the are very wrong, legals I have no idea.

Many thanks to you all.

Cheers,

Paul 

Well, at least you now know the accommodation's position of refusing the refund.  Totally unprofessional of them not to be bothered to reply to your son though.  He should leave negative reviews on Booking.com, Google Maps, TripAdvisor, etc.  I see on TripAdvisor they reply to every review so are very conscious about their image.

So they will refund in case of a second lockdown but not the first one!!!  Doesn't seem very logical to me.

Good luck with the Halifax, that is definitely the way to go. 

An update!

I took all the advice, Social media, contacted the cottage direct ( mail and letter) sent an email to the CEO and the UK Director of customer service Booking.com, Halifax re charge back.

Oddly, this morning Kalvin got a text message saying they tried to contact him months ago ( yeah right) offering him a refund or alternative accommodation!!  So, to keep inline with data protection ( that was mentioned in the text) they can only reply to him.

Offered his money back or another date. He agreed to a refund within the next 7 days.

I really appreciate all of your input and I will gladly make a donation to your good work

many thanks again,

Paul

• Like 2

• dx100uk changed the title to Booking.com won't refund my son - **RESOLVED**

Well done Paul...delighted you have managed to resolve this.

Andy

• Andyorch changed the title to Booking.com won't refund my son - *** Refunded***

Well done on standing up to these clowns  👏

Please update us when they cough up.