Problems with B.T.?

Inspector Gadget

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've just joined today and been asked to post my experience with B.T.

For about 6 weeks we had problems with our phone line. The line would crackle, hiss, echo and sometimes cut off a call completely.

The drill is the usual. You phone an automated number, press this, press that and if you persevere, you get to speak to a human.

The first "adviser" told me that I should firstly check all my connections within the house, as their testing showed our line to be working OK.

I checked all the connections and even went out and bought a new modem, 2 new filter/splitters and new connection cables.

The problems continued, so I went through the procedure again with a 2nd "adviser". She said "Have you checked...?" I replied "yes AND changed all my PC connections". Then there shouln't be a problem, she said.

I was getting pretty peed off by now and gave her an ultimatum that if an engineer did not come to check my line, I would migrate to another supplier.

Of course, nobody came so I phoned AGAIN with the same result.

Broadband dropping out every 1/2 minutes, barely any phone service.

I had had ENOUGH!!

I emailed Sir Christopher Bland, Chairman of B.T., and cc'd the Customer Service and South East Regional Directors with, I have to say, some pretty sarcastic stuff, but basically saying that if they bought a 40 year old house in original condition, the first thing they would do is have it rewired, right?

Yet they expect cables which are outside in all weathers to last for 20/30/40 years.

The upshot was that within 24 hours, I was called on my cellphone to be told that an engineer would be with me at 9am the following day, which he was and he renewed all the cabling to my house because when he tested it, his machine showed a BREAK 60 feet from my house.

Sorry to go on, but the moral is if you keep getting the runaround, go straight to the top. Be quite rude without being unpleasant and make them aware that if they don't fix it you won't stop there!

I find it quite appalling that consumers/customers/clients have to go to all these lengths to get a service that should be yours as of right!

I've some good phone numbers which I shall post when I can find them.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Cheers.

Don

Well done for getting it sorted but may i also say that having worked in Customer Service for all my adult life I disagree with the 'be rude' attitude it will fail with the majority of people.

Firm and persistant yes, rude and sarcastic no. Not always worth it when a CSO has to read that letter...

Ex CAG helper ^_^

I agree completely with regards to getting the run around and then just heading straight to the top!!

On two occasions i tried to sort out a complaint with my broadband with Orange and also a mobile contract problem with them - got the run around from their customer service centre therefore just went straight to the CEO and got it all sorted within a matter of days!!

Going to the top works, lol

Nathe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

UNTIL MY CASES ARE RESOLVED/WON IM GOING TO KEEP MY SIGNATURE BLANK AS IM AWARE THE BANKS TEND TO TRAWL ON SOME OF THESE FORUMS AND AS MY CASE IS A LITTLE COMPLEX IT WOULD BE EASILY SPOTTED

DONT WORRY - THE INFO SHALL RETURN ONCE THE CASE IS RESOLVED/WON

• 3 years later...

I was so sick of BT that I set up a BT Complaints site where people can send in complaints to share with other BT customers and also to include in a report that will be sent for investigation to Watchdog, Offcom and also BT themselves.

Join us at BT Complaints

I'm glad to hear you had success with BT. Unfortunately my experience was that even a complaint to the top doesn't work with this company. They seemed unable to explain why a line which had previously supported ADSL was suddenly incapable of doing so and were clearly totally unconcerned. Repeated pleas to the Chairman just resulted in responses from the same complaint handler who was unwilling/unable to provide a direct answer. As a result BT are on my avoid list for anything over than basic telephony (and then only so I can overlay a 3rd party calling plan).