Unknown Calls from Abroad

Geronimo1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have often had spates of unknown calls on my landline which I know are spoof numbers and there is little point in blocking them because without shelling out, there is a 30 number block limit on my phone contract and they never use the same number twice.

But recently, I started getting 'two ring' calls from mobile numbers in Germany. I actually have a small number of contacts in Germany but it wasn't them and when they were briefly visiting me, there were a few calls whilst they were here and because they could call German mobile numbers without paying for the call, they called all the numbers that I had had from German mobiles; without fail, they all rang twice then the line went dead.

I haven't had a call from Germany for maybe six weeks and then a few days ago, I started getting calls from different numbers in Cuba, of all places. I don't know anybody in Cuba and Google did not have anything on the numbers.

Before anybody feels the need to warn me that this is probably a scam, I know. I'm not in the slightest tempted to phone them back. I'm only curious to know what the payoff is and why Germany and Cuba.

i use 00* that block all international calls

but yes the german and the cuba stuff are the usual scams too

use the https://whocallsme.com/ site 

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

19 hours ago, dx100uk said:

i use 00* that block all international calls

Can I ask which service provider or telephone hand set you use that's allows you to use 00* to block all international calls ?

Ofcom advice

https://tinyurl.com/y577dlb8

Some examples of call blocking phones

https://tinyurl.com/yyaxsgd4

Edited by 45002
URL as ever

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

I should have added the above links are for  landlines and mobiles there are plenty of free and paid for apps android and iphones to block calls.

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

yea old truecall box.

but many phones now have truecall software or akin within.

neighbour has a panasonic set too that has call blocking and 00* works on those too.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The problem is nuisance/ spoof calls could be coming from the UK or anywhere around the world ?

They are tricking caller display into showing number from "Example" 0161 123 4567" Manchester number, but the call can ordinate from the other side of the world. 

BT and Ofcom are aware of this problem, but they are  not having much success in finding a solution as most these calls come from overseas and are outside the EU.

Another trick these scammers are using is, they have software set up on a computer that would dial every phone number Possible.

A computer with dial the code "Example" 0121 200 then dialling every number range from 0001 to 9999, then every time some answer call a operator is alerted, this is how scammers are even getting through to ex directory number.

Same with mobiles, a computer with dial the code "Example" 07661 then dialling every number range from 500000 to 599999.

Scammers are also using VOIP to make All these calls for very little cost to them or even free.

https://tinyurl.com/y64dvvh2

Edited by 45002

nothing new always been that way for 25+yrs now i had voip lines with NTL back in the late 90's

which is why a real trucall box or a handset with real truecall software in it is SO good.

on average i get about 25-35 of these calls a month

NONE get thru 

the ones that spoof UK or mobile numbers are still screened are easily dealt with the truecall system

if they are real, the only thing they have to do is speak and you get an alert ring to listen to whom call with the option to accept or ZZapp them.

once zapped that number never gets thru again.

its worthy to note that the scammers only ever use disconnected numbers, or fake numbers after a known local UK dialling code

well the truecall software already knows these numbers as it gets the same databases the scammers use.

if the number doesnt come up on the fake/disconnected list, it also then checks if the UK number is listed active UK and will auto put people thru

very clever little device worth every penny and mine is from 2006 when i joined CAG.

and they