• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Lowell court claim form - EDF energy and capital one credit card.

Good afternoon Everyone, 

Im new here and was advised to come here to try to help get some answers!

I recently received a letter from Lowell about some debt that is roughly 5 years old now. 

It’s for EDF energy and capital one credit card both on the same claim form?

im not sure it’s even a legit claim form but how would I know?

I just don’t know what to do about it ? Ignore it or contact them?

thank you all In advance. 

Edited by Ralphington

please complete the following (post 1 there)

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Issue date: 07 September 2020

Name of Claimant: Lowell

Particulars of claim 

1) The claim comprises the following Agreements the defendant entered into: 

a. EDF energy customer plc with reference ...... and current balance of £124.47

b. Capital one (Europe) plc with reference ......and current balance £194.97 

2.The agreements were terminated as payments were not maintained and subsequently assigned to the claimant 

3.And the claimant claims:

a)The total of the said sums being £319.44

b) Interest pursuant to s69 county court act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue, but limited to one year, being £25.56

c) costs 

What is the total value of the claim?

EDF - £124 

capital one - £194

Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? No

Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? Yes

Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? No

Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Credit Card/Utility   

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? Before

Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Online

Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? Not sure, can’t access that at the moment 

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Debt collector - Lowell’s 

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? yes 

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Not that I can remember 

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? Yes

Why did you cease payments? Change of circumstances 

What was the date of your last payment? Maybe 2015 

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes

What do you advise I do now then? 
I spoke with citizen advice and they told me that one claim fom cannot have 2 debts on the same one and it probably isn’t legit. 

yes it can have 2debts on it quite common for lowells.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thread tidied

[if mcol is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time]
 register as an individual
 note the long gateway number given
 then log in
 select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box.
 then using the details required from the claimform
 defend all
 leave jurisdiction unticked
 you DO NOT file a defence at this time

[you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ]
 click thru to the end
 confirm and exit MCOL.
 get a CCA Request running to the claimant for the cap 1 debt

get a CPR running  to their solicitors

no need to sign anything
you DO NOT await the return of paperwork.
you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count]

you might find it worthy to read this thread.

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/417916-lowells-claim-form-old-talk-talk-debt-and-an-eon-debt-claim-discontinued/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-5054568

and they

thank you so much I have done the defend all and will get the letter in the post tomorrow and will send recorded delivery. 
now when you say I must file a defence regardless what do I do about that? How do I do it? I’m sorry I have no clue!

Also please could you explain the CCA and CPR not quite sure who I need to send them to? Sorry I’m a newbie here 😔

go back and read my last post carefully

all of your q's are already answered above.

and they

• 2 weeks later...

you did send a CCA request to the claimant for the cap1 debt didn't you?

your defence is due friday week by 4pm

you do not miss that deadline no matter what...

have you been reading up on like claims here ?

the letter is std rubbish.

and they

Hi dx

Yes sent CCA to Lowell 

yes I need help with the defence please

On the letter they sent is says that EDF is a service agreement therefore they cannot provide the agreement ... how do I move forward with this one if they cannot provide it?

thank you. 

not your problem 

that's theirs

if they cant provide the docs...how can they even prove anything?

have you been reading up on like claimform threads here using self help?

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/129-legal-successes/

and they

Okay thank you for your reply. 
PLEASE help me with the defence! For days I’ve been searching but I just don’t know what to write and I’m running out of time 😩😩😩 

1,  The claimants  are claiming two different accounts with two 
different companies,.

2.  Repeated requests to the claimants for information regarding 
these accounts have been ignored.

3.By putting two unrelated debts together the claimants have 
provided the courts with misleading information and therefore the 
claim should be  struck out.

4. The defendant has no legal training and can not afford legal 
fees, therefore the claimants claim for costs and interest should 
be denied.

This is all I have so far??? Is that enough??

No.....and its not really suitable or compliant....you have until 4.00pm Friday to submit your defence.

Ill take a look tomorrow.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Can you provide a little history as to how this debt with EDF came about ? and when did it accrue ? 

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Yes sure.

its from a previous address around 5 years ago, i was there around 6 months and then left again. I had heard nothing until I received letters from Lowell recently. 

I have asked Lowell to provide me with the agreement and dates this debt is from but replied saying they can’t because it’s a service agreement?

One defence...please check and amend if necessary.

Defence Cap 1 EDF.pdf

Regards

Andy