• Tweets

• Hi I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof? 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No    Have you had a response?  n/a 7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice'  
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
    • Evening all,   So today, I was sent an updated offer that includes the £12.60 I spent on letters, but they have declined to add the interest at £7.40. They have stating 'We acknowledge your request to claim interest to date, however, this would be at the discretion of a trial judge if the claim did proceed to a trial hearing.' I think I am content with this outcome, and pushing this to a trial for a total interest of £15.30 throughout the claim does not make sense to me.   What are people's thoughts? I am sure our courts have better things to concentrate on?
    • FFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdfFFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdf 2pages T&C,s UCM
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Caravan from leisure caravans - riddled with issues - Advantage Finance cancelled agreement and have the Van but will not refund Payments/repair costs sighting 12mts ownership/use as the reason - Court Time?

summer9810
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

By the way, is the dealer https://www.leisurecaravans.com/

Okay, I suggest that you phone Baileys of Bristol and make some casual enquiries.

Tell them that you are interested in buying a second-hand caravan – given the make and model number. Tell them that it seems to be in quite good condition but you are interested in knowing what the price would have been new and how long would they normally expect their caravans to last if they were properly maintained. Ask them what they think the resale value of 2011 caravan might be now.

See if they can let you have a copy of a brochure for that model. They may will have one in PDF format.

What we are trying to do is find out the value you have had – if any from your ownership of this caravan for one year. It seems to me that you had no value – and I'm wondering whether in fact you might be out of pocket stop

Also, you need to understand particular kinds of action you can take.

You could decide to make a complaint against the finance company to the financial ombudsman service. This would be completely risk-free – but would take quite a long time with a very uncertain outcome because the FOS is limp wristed and far too cosy with the finance industries. On the other hand, against this kind of finance company they may be more prepared to be assertive – unlike with the bank where they would tend to be biased towards the bank – in my view.

The alternative is to take a small claim in the County Court. This would be very assertive. You would incur some fees – probably about £300 all told, which you would get back if you one. This would send a real warning shot across the bow is of the finance company and I suspect that they would rather pay up then go to court. However they might push you to a hearing and if you won the hearing, then you would get your money back plus interest plus all your costs. My view is that you would probably win and I hope that you would get everything back because it seems to me that you have had no benefit from this contract.
However, can you tell us of any use/enjoyment you have had from the caravan.

Phone Baileys tomorrow

Where are you in the country? I understand that the dealer is in Durham

I had already raised a complaint with the ombudsman the same date I informed leisure caravans of the problem, however as yet still have not heard from them.

the three outings we had were ruined as the hot water wouldn’t work nor would the heating. My daughter has chronic lung disease so needs warmth etc 

this is what cost us £700 to fix 

I live right near leisure caravans and ok I’ll call baileys and update tomorrow 

When you raised your complaint with the ombudsman, had you already complained to the finance company and received their final decision?

Yes their final decision at that point was to let the leisure caravans repair it 

I did not want it repaired as it was not fit for purpose hence why I involved ombudsman. However when I realised how long it would take for the ombudsman to get back to me and upon reading the credit act etc I knew I had to give them chance to repair before I could reject 

Well you could have gone directly to court.

It's up to you know whether you want to wait for the ombudsman or go to court. Maybe will be a good idea to contact the ombudsman and see what's happening and see what their timescale is.

At least you haven't got the caravan sitting in your driveway so it's just a question of money and so you might think that it is worth waiting a bit.

Please could you post up a copy of the complaint which you sent the ombudsman

I can’t provide the complaint as it was filled in online and submitted in text boxes if that makes sense. 

I can’t afford at the moment to go to court so I will await the ombudsman help firstly. I am pleased I am no longer financially attached to the credit agreement etc But feel upset at the amount of loss we have endured and Stress. I really thought we would have gotten something back out of all this 

I tried calling the ombudsman today but they said they could not answer my call due to COVID 19

Okay. Well telephone Baileys and get the information that I've asked for.

Even though you fill in online forms, you should take screenshots of what you are sending. This stuff is quite important. Phone the FOS tomorrow and see what their timescale is.

My view is that you made a contract for an item which was not of satisfactory quality and it is clear from the evidence even of the finance company's own inspector that it was not of satisfactory quality when you bought it.

In contract law, if an item is so unsatisfactory that you are effectively deprived of the entire benefit of the contract then the contract should be treated as void and you should recover all of your money and any ancillary expenses.

It seems to me that you had no enjoyment at all from this caravan during your period of ownership. I think it's outrageous that the finance company are apparently say that because you've had it for a year before they eventually – and grudgingly – agreed that it should be returned, that you should effectively pay for a years usage. At the very worst, it should be said that you only had usage of it from the moment you took delivery to the date of your first complaint to the finance company. How long was that?

However, on the basis that you had no benefit from the contract whatsoever, it seems to me that you should recover all of your money. Let me warn you that the FOS is unlikely to recommend this. However they are likely to recommend that you receive a portion of your money – and maybe it will be sufficient to satisfy you and you won't feel as if you want to try and get the rest.

In the event that the FOS considers that you are not entitled to any further payment at all, then frankly I would recommend that you go to County Court and sue both the dealer and the finance company together to recover all of your money on the basis that I have described above – and I would say that your chances of success are much better than 85%.

The action would be on the small claims track and that would mean that in the highly likely event that you won the case, you would recover all of your costs plus your money +8%.

In the highly unlikely event that you lost the case then your losses will be limited simply to the claim fee and the allocation fee – which would probably be in the region of about £300.

We would help you all the way. We would help you draft the documents and advise you step-by-step – although you would have to conduct the case yourself and it would probably be done by way of a telephone hearing.

My personal view is that it wouldn't go as far as a hearing and that they would back down and pay you out. Personally I think it's a try on and they're taking advantage of the fact that they think that you don't know your way around and that you lack confidence

One thing you should probably realise is that this finance company is properly got a fairly long term business relationship with the dealership. To a certain extent they depend on each other so don't imagine that the finance company is going to be impartial.

I have a recording from the leisure caravans slagging off the finance company stating that if I had used their usual black horse finance none of this would be taken seriously. Leisure caravans actually told me they were repairing as a good will gesture and that the independent inspector the finance company are using haven’t a clue what they are talking about 

FYI I recorded the conversation because I new the seller was not going to repair it as instructed by scotia and I wanted this evidence to put to the finance company to help me. Even with this evidence it did not change any course of action and I still resulted where I am now 

If its any help our 6 birth bailey pageant bretagne 2008 was 8,000 about a year ago in good condition

Unfortunately it too now has a slight spot of damp, it's common around the front right window for some reason (point to watch on the next one) 

I'll be fixing it myself because it's just a couple of beams and a new window seal but be warned damp can be very expensive and hard to fix

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Ok so if we say that the lifespan of this caravan is 17 years, and you've only had it for one year then that seems to me ME2 that you have enjoyed £1,000 worth of its usable life assuming that you actually enjoyed it.

Because all the problems you have had no enjoyment of it.

On that basis the worst case scenario should be that you you should be out of pocket to the tune of £1,000. I still think that you shouldn't have suffered any loss at all and that furthermore you should be able to recover all of your out of pocket expenses plus also I think it might be worth examining the possibility of claiming something in respect of the lost enjoyment of holidays.

Call fos tomorrow and see where they are with this.

Also ask them to send you a copy of your complaint

Spoke to ombudsman then said I have to wait for the final response letter to arrive and then send it to them to review 

ombudsmen state this should have the next steps on what I can do if not happy so we need to follow that in the first instance

no joy from baileys they were too busy to discuss due to COVID 19 issues 

You said that you had a final response letter already. He told us that you had already begun the complaint to the ombudsman.

When you get the final response letter, please post it here and also we will help you to draft an accompanying letter of complaint

I had the final response email but the ombudsman says I should receive a letter so to wait and see if that arrives if it doesn’t within 5 days to then ask finance company to send it 

in that letter it needs to state what my legal rights are if not happy with the complaint 

I have already raised the complaint with ombudsmen and when I called them today to update on my complaint this is what they have advised I do 

The cost of being a small claim for a sum up to £5000 is £185.

The hearing fee – if it went to that, would be £335.

If you won your case – which is highly likely – then you would get these back. If you lost your case then this would be the extent of your exposure – £520