Tax credit fraud- compliance interview

Waffledog20
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I’m in a right state. 

I live with my partner and 3 kids.
The older two are from my previous abusive marriage. 

I have claimed as a single parent.
My defence is that I left an abusive marriage in tens of thousands of debt and have borderline personality disorder and can not be safe with money.
The tax credits I was getting was for my debt and my older two children.
I have a spending addicted and I can’t be trusted to pay bills etc so absolutely everything is in my partners name.
The house is his. 

He has no idea.
He gives me an “allowance” once a month and he thinks I live on that.
He will leave me if he finds out,
Ive already had bailiffs to the house.
My mental health has been awful the last few years and my psychiatrist is fully aware of my spending problem. 

I stopped claiming tax credits last month as I started a part time job.
I earn £300 a month. 

I had a letter today saying that they have linked my partner to his house.
They want a telephone interview next week but also all bills etc that are in my name.
Nothing is. Literally nothing apart from my bank account. 

I’m so scared.
The letter has asked for details from March 2019 - July 2019.
Why only these dates? !!!!!!

what do I say. If I admit everything surely they will look further back?
I honestly feel like this is the cherry on the top and I’m not sure can survive much longer.
I have so many debt collectors after me.
Partner refuses to help as it’s technically ex’s debts. 

I’m so nervous about the interview.
I don’t want to go to prison.
I don’t even want to go court.
I’m so scared. 

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I know this all sounds scary but we haven't had anyone from here go to prison. Everyone has reached an agreement with HMRC to have what they owe deducted from future credits.

There was a lady earlier this week in a very similar position to you and she resolved her problem. Have a read of this thread please.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

They don't send people to prison due to forgetting to report change in circumstances.

You just need to provide the information they require and they will recalculate tax credit award, sending you details of how much is owed .  Your claim may be closed and if so you can claim Universal Credit with your partner.

Use a benefits calculator to see how much Universal Credit you and your partner could be due.

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Is that when records might show you had become a couple living at same address ?

If so, perhaps they will look at the monthly average earnings for the period that they asked and use the average to recalculate awards up to the current period.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

also let us help you with your 'debts' please.

please start a new thread about them in our debt self help forum. and list them.

it might well be some can be WIPED because of your situation.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

do need someone to help with regards to money. I can’t be trusted with it. My partner trusted me with his credit card for emergencies and I maxed it out behind his back and he now has to pay it back. The allowance he gives me he thinks I only have and that I live on that. He has no idea about my debts as I hide the letters, eVen when a bailiff turned up and his dad had to pay it. 

I’m so scared. I actual can’t cope, I’m such a drain on my family. 

Do I ring them on Monday and just admit everything? Or do I wait for the interview? do I just be honest and say this is the date I moved in, all bills etc are in his name. Then what happens? They send me court? 

Just take part in the interview and answer questions, providing the information requested. No point in phoning, as they will tell you to wait for the interview.

Might be worth speaking to your GP, if you feel that your spending issues may be down to long term psychological aspects which may be resolved through talking therapies.

Thank you, 

Iv just worked out for the first 2 years partner was earning £31k Before tax. Would we hAve been entitled to something? If so will it be less owed than I originally thought? Iv worked it

out that every penny Iv had will be paid back, so roughly £25k. 

I can’t provide the requested infomation  like bills/council tax bill etc as it’s all in his name. 

Yes you can provide the information. Council Tax bill is in name of Mr xxxxxx

It is simply the case of answering questions and providing the information as it is.

It is anxiety that is making your brain think, I can't provide this or that. Just wait to the interview and you won't have any problem. 

Following the interview, Tax Credits staff will work out overpayment using the information provided and issue a letter. 

That would be up to them.  You have to just provide the information requested and Tax Credits will follow their normal processes.

Even if they did eventually calculate an amount going back to 2016, you can only pay an amount that is affordable each month.

Others who are more aware of Tax Credit compliance interviews, where someone has failed to report a change of circumstances, advise people to contact Tax Credits, before the interview to make a late report of the change in circumstances.  

Apparently this  is seen in a favourable light  as it is volunteering the information, rather than waiting for the interview, where they are asking for it.

Up to you really. 

they will ask you, just be truthful.

simply phone up and state you are ringing because of the letter you have just received.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...