• Tweets

• Bank the cheque.  No doubt it will bounce - but you never know. When it bounces - that is when you are meant to access their website link and enter your personal details - but of course - DON'T.
    • Wayne Ting, chief executive of e-scooter firm Lime, says there's room for improvement. View the full article
    • If you are absolutely certain* that you were parked OK, write a letter of complaint to the Headteacher and copy in the Chair of the school governors.   If you or the car were identifiable in any way from the photo (eg visible registration number, driver's face etc) I would very politely write that you resent the untrue suggestion that you had parked/had stopped/were waiting in a way that contravened any traffic regulations, and that you are sure that the school will understand that you would like an apology and a correction to be printed in the next newsletter.  (You can also clearly state that you were identifiable from the photo because other parents have mentioned it to you).   See if that works.   You don't want to go to court for defamation as you'll need access to about £10k in fees before you get out of bed.  You just want an apology and a correction.  If what you've told us is accurate, I don't see any reasonable school failing to say sorry.     *My wife is a former school governor and my experience listening to her is that very very few parents actually understand the meaning of the no stopping/no waiting signs and road markings outside schools.  Don't complain unless you are sure you weren't stopped where you shouldn't have been.
    • And they haven't offered a speed awareness course either?  (Have you done one in the last three years or is this in Scotland?)   And is one of the notices for 34 in a 30?  As Man in the Middle says, that ought to be below the level at which they take action.   (And sorry - I don't want to appear preachy - but...  there don't have to be any warnings or signs or lines on the road to advise you of the presence of speed cameras.  If you get away with an exceptional hardship argument you will need to stick to speed limits in future - whether you know there are cameras there or not.  NB Don't know if this applies to you, but most 30 mph limits are restricted roads with a system of streetlighting and don't even need speed limit signs - you are assumed to know this from the Highway Code).
    • It's up to you if you want to pay £300 you don't owe plus whatever Unicorn Food Tax with no basis in law whatsoever that they will have made up in the Letter Before Claim.   We'd prefer you didn't.   But you have received a LBC so it's make your mind up time.   So please    - post up photos of the signage in the dark that you'll have taken two months ago (post 14)    - post up details of planning permission for their signs you'll have found out after you got onto the council, again two months ago (again post 14)    - also let us know if you agree with Brassnecked's excellent letter or if you'd like to tweak bits depending on what you've found out    - upload the LBC.  Some of them are appallingly drafted and invariably contain Unicorn Food Tax which is all useful extra ammo    - also, where are you living now (post 35) and are you comfortable with legal communications arriving at your parents'?   If you look in our PPC Successes thread at the top of the page, you will see 275 times these cheats have been seen off with their tails between their legs (and all had the same "well known legal companies" (ho! ho!) on hand).  In reality 275 times is a massive underestimate, in all 275 cases there was a "moment of victory" IYSWIM where the PPC were thrashed in court or discontinued a claim or were called off by a supermarket chain, etc., etc.  There will have been at least that number again where they were told to Foxtrot Oscar and then crawled back under their stone.  They are eminently beatable but logically when you're in legal dispute you have to put some graft in to beat the other party.
  • Our picks

Campervan fault Marquis Motorhomes **They paid up under threat of legal action**

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you purchase the motorhome – or any other item, you are entitled to have a good which is of satisfactory quality and remains that way for a reasonable period of time. This means that any def

Yes, Docherty is the one. Okay well let us know what happens and then we will see about your next step. It's about time somebody took Marquis on. Let's see what they found and what the bill is.

I fully intend to spread the word further once I've got the money. I'll recommend CAG too as you've been a great help in keeping it focused for me. I'll be making a donation too. Many thanks

Latest repy from Marquis from the Dinnington branch general manager

Dear Mr Desnos

Autocruise Alto WA12CYH

I am sorry that you have had cause for complaint. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this matter.

I have carefully considered your complaint and propose the below.

In full and final settlement of all issues concerning the above mentioned vehicle that have been brought to the attention of, and discussed with Eddie Ruddy, I hereby agree to refund the amount of £120:

The offer is made on the basis of no admission of liability and in full and final settlement of all issues that have been raised since purchase. I would also like to make it clear that this is a one off gesture of goodwill and any future travel or outside contractor work will not be covered by Marquis South Yorkshire.

If you have not already done so can you please supply your bank details to Eddie Ruddy who will arrange for the transfer to be made on Monday upon his return to the office.

I trust our response and offer fully resolves your complaint and we wish you many happy travels in your Autocruise Alto.

Your Sincerely

Please remind me, does this still leave you out of pocket or does this take care of everything?

In terms of their remarks relating to future travel costs or outside contractor work, – you can ignore it. If they don't step up to the mark then you are still protected by your consumer rights. They are unable to contract out of them – especially because they say that the claimant is a gesture of goodwill

This covers everything we'd asked for. Could you advise how we should word the email to accept payment. Many thanks

I would simply provide them with your bank details. I don't see there is any need for any further comment. Let's hope that if you have any further problems that they remember that you will stand up to them.

Simply say "here are my bank details".

If you have any further problems with the van then you have got an idea of the approach – and of course make sure you come here

By the way, once the money is in your account, I suggest that you spread the word around all the relevant forums and trust boiler et cetera so that people understand that they are able to stand up for themselves.

I expect that there are a lot of people who simply accept their fate – when there isn't any need to.

Of course you can suggest that people come here for help

I fully intend to spread the word further once I've got the money. I'll recommend CAG too as you've been a great help in keeping it focused for me. I'll be making a donation too. Many thanks

• Thanks 1

I'm pleased to say that we received the payment into my bank yesterday. Didn't take them long did it once they made their mind up.

I can't thank you enough for your help with this.I will be recommending CAG.

I thought you might be interested in reading the email I've attached. I got an email from Eddie Ruddy concerning the bank statement but I think he missed that he was forwarding his email to the accounts department. Made me smile.

Thanks again.

Sent: 05 October 2020 10:14
Subject: FW: Autocruise Alto WA12CYH

Morning Ang 

I need to get a payment request form sorted basically wanted to reject van massive battle. Was potentially going to go on and on court etc etc

Anyway I am struggling to get a bank statement need to pay him £541.42, £421.42 we will get back from Truma

Any thoughts

Regards

• Haha 1

Well done – and thanks for this email which you posted up for us.

It shows that they are a bunch of bullies – and by and large they take advantage of the fact that the issues are generally speaking worth far more than the small claims limit a bit of extra muscle to intimidate people.

Because your case was for issues much less than the small claims limit, it gave you the upper hand and it gave you the muscle that you needed.

I'm sure they are fully aware of their consumer rights obligations that they decide to try and face it out for as long as they can.

Yes, do let other people have got similar problems know that we can offer some help and that all our help is completely free – although a donation or two to help us with our expenses, never goes amiss!

• Thanks 1
  • BankFodder changed the title to Campervan fault Marquis Motorhomes **They paid up under threat of legal action**