Scottish Power - High electric/gas bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1295 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Since being on furlough I have taken time to address certain issues.

One of which is reviewing my bank statements and direct debits and I noticed that my electricity/ gas bills are in the region of £400 per month.

I believe that because my readings have been continually estimated this has led to very high bills.

I spoke with the energy company concerned (Scottish Power) and they had a higher elec reading on record (taken back in Nov 2019) than the current reading (which did not make sense).

They agreed to monitor the reading for a week to see how much elec I actually consume.

This will then be used to determine what refund (if any) is due. 

My question is that if I prove that I have been over paying for my elec, how far back can I go to claim a refund? 

more importantly why are YOU not taking and putting readings up on their website.??

once the account is sorted, if it is in credit 

you can goto you online portal and request the credit balance back .

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Scottish Power - High electric/gas bill
  • 3 weeks later...
On 17/09/2020 at 00:55, Neo1 said:

My question is that if I prove that I have been over paying for my elec, how far back can I go to claim a refund? 

I understand your way of thinking but you don't "go back" through individual bills to claim a refund.

Your payments will have been credited to an account and the account will be debited according to usage, be it estimated or actual.

Any refund will be calculated by simply adjusting the total debit owed on the account inline with your readings, they may also offer to update your bills with the actual reading and your bills will essentially be zero until your usage has caught up with what you have already paid for.

It may get a bit complicated if you have changed tariffs over the years but that shouldn't cause you any issue because essentially you would have been overpaying on a cheaper tariff and the refund would be applied against the more expensive tariff (assuming your tariffs trend upwards not downwards). If this is not the case the difference is likely to be small and very difficult (but not impossible) to calculate for.