Threatened with dismissal but no notice and no updates

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1284 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, thanks in advance for any help.

I am a graphic designer and I have been threatened with dismissal at work but have not been given notice.

I have worked for a large multinational company for six years. My work has always been deemed satisfactory and I haven't faced any issues with the company in spite of having a difficult and manipulative manager. Since lockdown I have been working from home.

The company is making changes and restructuring its operations. It seems that the company's structure is being simplified with some top executives about to be let go from the information I have. I have known for some time that the company may want to move some operations abroad to save costs. Graphic design would be a candidate as it obviously can be done from anywhere. I don't work for external clients, I handle design jobs that are given to me from other departments in the company, for company publications, social media content etc.

My manager told me a few weeks ago that as a result of this restructuring there would be changes to our department and I would be given notice. A colleague in the department (another designer) was told the same and was given notice straight away. However I have not been given notice or any updates from my manager, the HR department, or anyone else. My manager has stopped communicating with me altogether and I am now getting only the odd job now and then. I use my time mostly upskilling and finding and applying to other job opportunities. I have been fed up with the company and my manager for a long time and this situation has made me even keener to leave.

I am concerned about this bizarre and uncertain situation and I am not sure what to do. Is this about my redundancy pay? Is the company avoiding giving me notice hoping that I will get fed up and leave of my own accord without pay? Or are they setting me up in some way so that they can dismiss me without compensation?

My understanding is that, if they want to claim my work is unsatisfactory, they would have to explain why and set up a process to rectify the situation- They can't just dismiss me under any old pretext. But I'm still very worried.

I have drafted an email to my manager and HR asking them to clarify my situation, but I'm not sure what the consequences may be if I send it. My manager is very manipulative and I'm not sure what he might do.

For now I just sign in on our internal system every morning as usual and do everything by the book so as to not give them any reason to criticise my work. This impasse is very stressful.

Any input or advice much appreciated- Thanks!

Sounds like a redundancy.

Hopefully @Emmzzi will have a look and advise

Yup, I’ve dodged that redundancy bullet loads of times, until eventually it got me. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Sounds like redundancy to me and your manager has given you a heads up before he should have, maybe as a favour before the plans are finalised.

Head down, keep looking, keep taking the pay. Don't ask for clarification; it will come in time. Stay under the radar as long as you can. Check the notice period in your contract as well.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!