Want to VT advantage finance car but it needs work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I had a car via advantage finance and I've had nothing but trouble.  It's been in and out of the local garage like a yoyo 

Now there are starting problems and a eps warning light on the dash. The mot is up in 3 weeks 

Finance company has agreed to VT but the car has to be in reasonable condition 

So do I pay for an mot and any work that needs to be done before returning the car or return the car and wait for them to send me the repairs bill

They have confirmed I have 0 to pay to return the car

Thanks

Please can you tell us when you bought the car, was it in good condition when you bought it or has it simply deteriorated since you purchased it?

How much did you pay for the car? And you may as well tell us the make and model just in case we need to know that.

I got the car in 2018

In good condition for £ 2400 plus the interest £1263 and fees £325

Proton savvy 2010 model 

Only 12000 on the clock

It's now got 30000 on the clock 

It's been a nightmare 

For the last12 months I've had problems starting it. Some days it dont start

I've had new 

Head gasket 

Coils and sparks 

New crank shaft indicator 

Battery

Rear bearings 

And still there are days it doesn't start

Now a warning light has come on which I think is traction control 

I have to do 60 mile round trip to work and cant afford any more time off with this damn car

So you're saying the car only had 12,000 miles on the clock when you bought it in 2018. That seems extremely low. Are you sure that is the genuine mileage for a car which was about eight years old when you bought it?

When in 2018 did you buy?
What date did you have all this work done – particularly the head gasket and the bearings?

Miles were genuine got the most

Bought in march 2018

All the work has been done with in the last months

I cant get another car on finance as my credit score is kaput

My employer can loan me a grand to get another car but I could end up with a duff the same 

I'm not sure just to get the work done and keep it

Nighmare 

Last 12 months work has been done 

I think the best thing you can do is to get the condition of it assessed by a garage and also a quotation for the work. Then come back here.

If you end up returning it to the finance company in its present condition, at least you will have an independent quotation for the cost of repairs. You can be certain that the finance company will try to rip you off and you will then be up to challenge them because you will have your independent quotations. I suggest that you get to assessments.

These quotations will allow you to make a decision as to whether or not to have the work done and also to challenge the finance company if you decide not to have the work done and then they try to hit you with an unrealistic assessment.

On the basis of "reasonable condition", you may well find that they want the car in a very good condition. However, you bought an old car for a very cheap price and you have since more than doubled the mileage which is a reasonable thing to do. So this then amounts to wear and tear.

When the finance company says "reasonable condition" they have to accept that they want in reasonable condition for a car of that age and of that price. They are entitled to expect anything more.

Get the assessment of its condition and then we will help you challenge them if they start making unreasonable demands

Be careful about booking in. You aren't asking for the work to be done. You are simply asking for an assessment and a price quotation. Two of them will be better than one.

Well reasonable condition doesn't necessarily mean that an MOT must be done. If it's towards the end of its MOT for that year then that's just too bad for the finance company

Oh ok.  Well it currently wont start to get to the shop

I think the finance company need to just get it on a tow truck and take it out of my sight and I'll deal with the aftermath. 

The problem is 3 different mechanics haven't been able to find the issue hence all of the changed parts

All in vain 

If you don't get quotations for the work then you will find yourself in a very difficult position if the finance company decide to chase you for repairs.

I'm afraid I think it's a very bad idea to let the car go without the condition and repair bill being assessed.

urm..sorry

you don't have to MOT it.

And

you were not liable for any of those repair bills..its not YOUR CAR.

advantage can't charge you a bean for anything they find 'wrong' with it.

neither can they charge you for collection of the car.

if they get nasty later 

simply state that in the (less than 2yrs) you've had THEIR car

you've spent £1000's repairing xx faults

and can they please refund those bills

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Want to VT advantage finance car but it needs work