• Tweets

• Thanks for the reply     Name of the Claimant ? CABOT FINANCIAL (UK) LIMITED   Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to. 18/02/2021   Date of issue XX + 19 days ( 5 day for service + 14 days to acknowledge) = XX + 14 days to submit defence = XX (33 days in total) -   ^^^^^ NOTE : WHEN CALCULATING THE TIMELINE - PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE DATE ON THE CLAIMFORM IS ONE IN THE COUNT [example: Issue date 01.03.2014 + 19 days (5 days for service + 14 days to acknowledge) = 19.03.2014 + 14 days to submit defence = 02.04.2014] = 33 days in total   Particulars of Claim   What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? By anagreement between New Day Ltd RE Marbles & the Defendant with a credit card. The Defendant failed to make the minimum payments due. The Agreement was terminated following the service of a default notice. The Agreement was assigned to the Claimant. THE CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 1. 2140.14  2. Costs   What is the total value of the claim? £2325.14   Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? I could have   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No   Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? N/A Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Credit Card   When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? Not Sure but im going to look back on old emails. But I think it would have been around 2018.   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? If I did it would have been online   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? No but there is a DCA on there that could be for this.   Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Debt Purchaser by the looks of it.   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? I could have but I’ll need to look back.   Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Not sure but its possible.   Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? Not sure but its possible.    What was the date of your last payment? I don’t know.   Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No.   Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No.
    • Sorry, just to be clear; I handed the car back in November time.
    • Hi dx,   Thanks for the quick reply!   Unfortunately the history is a tad complex but I'll give it a shot: I originally had a PCP contract on a Volvo. The PCP was coming to an end so I went to renew for a new car. When I went for this, unbeknown to me, my credit rating had slipped so I was declined. In a panic, as I was going to be without wheels for work, the salesman asked if anybody would be willing to take the finance out on my behalf.    Again, in a panic, I asked my brother to and he did not hesitate to take the finance. At the time of the sale, the contract was changed to a  PCH. It wasn't really explained at the time,  what this implied. I suppose it was naive on my part not to look into this further but it seemed like a rush job at the showroom. He just wanted the sale in other words and brushed past all the details... sign here....sign there etc.    Fast forward to COVID and I loose my job. Cant afford the payments. Only had the car a year or so. I ring up to explain this and they tell me of course.....but.......we (Volvo Contract Services/Santander) want £5,000 for early termination. I was goobsmacked.    I told them there's no way I can pay that; I don't have a job. Not interested. So I look into this further and there's FCA advice regarding miss selling of car finance and a lot of what is on that subject applies to my situation so I thought I could ask Volvo/Santander for their complaints procedure before I contact the FCA. I emailed them this request.   Next thing I know I get this letter through my front door today from DWF Law LLP (Manchester) saying that I have 30 days to cough up or else they will issue County Court proceedings. Of course the letters cover page with the actual threat is a mixture of my details and this other persons details and their agreement stapled to it.   As far as I'm aware though, a PCH isn't regulated by the CCA?   What do you reckon?     
    • please complete this:   You have received a Court Claim ISSUED IN ENGLAND & WALES What you need to do - Financial Legal Issues - Consumer Action Group
    • the number of people that can't pay rather than just WON'T pay, that were arrested for non payment of CTAX in the uk can be counted on the fingers of one hand. seriously, forget about that ever happening to you or it ever ever going that far. yours is very obviously not a case of wilful refusal to pay.    get you MP onboard as quickly as you can monday.   i can tell you now the council will not accept £5PCM . you need serious help if you are in such dire trouble and to be honest why has this just happened this year or is this problem greater than simply not paying since april? what happen in previous years were you able to meet CTAX ok? explaining the above in your brief but concise contact with your MP will go along way to them intervening much quicker.                
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Hi hope you are all 

My daughter had a visit from H C E yesterday when she was out its not her debt its her address but not her name however   the named person is an old neighbour so it looks like they they have wrong door number she is in the middle of moving house but only to the next street

ive told her if they come back to provide proof of who she is tenancy agreement ect 

she has never had a letter sent to her address for this neighbour before the h c e turned up 

She has spoken to her old neighbour and he has no idea who the person on the ccj is knows nothing about the debt and its 17k so its a lot of money 

the court is Birkenhead ive told him to phone them on Monday  what form he should he ask for thanks 

Debt relates to a person and not an address.  If the enforcement has been attempted at an address where the debtor does not reside, the enforcement company just need confirmation of who lives at the address,.  This could be a copy of the Council Tax statement.  Obviously point out, they had the wrong flat number anyway and they can then check.

It will be an error with an address on a document or they just misread it.  

Do not see the purpose in contacting the neighbour.  Some people do not care about debts and other people being hassled due an address being wrong. They are most likely aware of owing a sizeable debt.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It's happened to me a few times now, the previous owners of the house left a lot of unpaid bills.  On one occasion the bailiff asked for proof, the other 2 they believed me.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Good advice above, definitely don't let the bailiff in, they will try to get you to pay by saying don't care what name the debt is at the address. show them the proof, and remind them that you can report the Bailiffco to ICO for breaching GDPR by discussing third party debt with some=one not the named Debtor.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!