• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

sally v Halifax 2 ***SETTLED IN FULL***

sallysas
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Tell me people if you think this is a silly idea.

I can file for judgment on 21 March. Just wondering if it would be an idea to call Halifax just before that and suggest they settle to save me the bother/them the aggravation of having the baliffs calling on them. Now I live in Beautiful Birmingham - where Howard comes from..... Supposing I suggest that I ask for the baliffs to go to Howard's branch with the media in attendance. Go on -tell me this is stupid and I can't specify which branch the baliffs attend. It's a lovely thought though................

Might be worth calling and being polite though.

• Haha 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sally,

I've not been in the Halifax forum for a couple of weeks, so haven't been checking your thread - I an't believe that you're still waiting... :confused:

IMHO, I'd give them a call. I did and got a negotiated settlement of the full amount. Just remember to be polite and courteous at all times - I was and it worked.

I would suggest that when yo call them, just ask if there is any furter pdate regarding your claim. Whoever you speak to will probably put you on hold and finally come back to you and tell you that there are no updates. At this point I just tahnked the woman on the phone and asked that the file was updated with the information that I had filed at court - shealso said that she would e-mail a customer relations manager in the hope that it may 'gee them up a bit' - her words, not mine.

90 mins later, I got a call and was offered approx 60% of my claim - upped to 100% + costs + 8% s.69 interest.

I'm sure that many people will advise you to let it run, and others willsuggest hat you make the phone call. At the end of the day, the decision will be youre, I can only tell you how it worked out for me..

Survivor :cool:

If you found my advice to be useful, then please click the scales to the left - Thank you.

Halifax - 13/01/2007 - Prelim sent

Halifax - 27/01/2007 - LBA

Halifax - 19/02/2007 - Filed N1

Halifax - 21/02/2007 - Telephone call from Halifax offering FULL SETTLEMENT (inc costs & 8% s.69) - RESULT!!

Advice & opinions given by Survivor are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Just to bring you an update. Survivor, it seemed like a cunning plan, so I rang on Tuesday, asked about progress and reminded them that I had filed at court and would file for judgment next week. Whether this had any effect whasoever we will never know, but

I've won!!!!!!!!

Letter arrived in post this morning saying it wasn't worth their while 'on a purely commercial basis' to defend so they would be refunding £4187.74 within 5 days. We checked and it was there. Been on cloud 9 all day particualrly as I had overtime to do. Will make a donation tomorrow. Thank you so much for all the encouragement and help along the way. I suppose I had better let the cour know.

But there's more............. There is £350 showing on statements outside the 6 year rule. Will be going after that next with contractual interest. Am I evil?87.ett

FANTASTIC...!!!!:D :D :D :D

Thats brilliant. I am sooooooooooooo chuffed for you.

So whats first on your spending list?? :p

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

We've just got back from a balti.......... Does that count as No. 1?

Going to Matalan tomorrow to stock up on some clothes, buy tickets for Cropredy folk festival and check out ISAs to invest £1000 towards Italian holiday in 2010 when Sarah has finished her GCSEs. Sort out central heating problems, make a donation here and just TRY and calm down..............

Oh yes. Pay £1000 off my 2nd mortgage so I can then complain about their unfair charges.

I've got a bottle of Disaronno to try sometime. Feeling a bit tooooo tired now after doing 7 hrs overtime on cloud 9.

• 3 weeks later...
LBA going off tomorrow. If the information I obtained from the courts yesterday is accurate I will be filing 2 claims for free when time is up. Oooohhh perhaps that is too ambitious.

Hi Sally

Could you give me Halifax Card address in England to send LBA I have send 1st letter to Fife no reply.

Thanks;)

It is the trinity road address.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

After 40 days elapsed with no sign of my data I sent a non-compliance letter to :

Stephen Webster

Head of Customer Services

Halifax Credit Cards

Pitreavie Business Park

Dunfermline

Fife FY99 4BS

Within 7 days I got a 2 replies one saying they had not received my original letter and the 2nd (which arrived the same day) saying I will get my data by 9 April at the latest. This is later than 7 days but perhaps I did send it to the wrong address as 2nd letter came from HBOS (which stands for Halifax Bank of Scotland) 10 Carlton Street Halifax HX1 2LA. Head office for Bank of Scotland is: The Mound Edinburgh EH11YZ

which is where I shall be sending my N1 if necessary.

Hope this helps, Sally

ps have you started your own thread yet. I think you should

• 1 month later...

Hi Sally

I am just at the stage were I have received my bakn statements from the Halifax and have sent the letter off to claim the charges. Did you have lots of problems at this stage please give advice.

Morning. If you read mine and other 'WON' threads you will have a much better understanding of how Halifax operate. Every bank reacts a little differently but Halifax were quite easy last time I claimed. Be prepared to have no reaction from them until you send the LBA and then stand your ground. Should they call you don't agree to anything, just tell them politely that you would like everything done by letter as it is likely they will offer you only half what you are claiming. Have you added on 'interest debited - as noitified last month' as it is yours so add it on. If you haven't don't worry add it on to your LBA. You can add on any charges etc until you file at court - and then you tell Howard you want 8% on top.

It would be a very good idea to start your own thread. Just go to start of 'Halifax forum' and on left-hand side it will say 'start thread' give yourself a title and start happily posting. Sally