Peeling Leather on Sofa

Mathers
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1123 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I’m hoping to get some advice about my 16month old sofa and armchair.  

I noticed some peeling leather where my husband sits and contacted the retailer.  

Choices are

pay £50 for an independent inspection - they said no when I asked if I could appoint one of my own.

2.  Contact Guardsman for a repair.

I have just run my hand over the armchair as husband also sits there and that has a sticky texture where his head would lie but no peeling as yet.  

I don’t want to get Guardsman repair - if covered - as it isn’t an accident, it’s caused by sitting on it which is surely it’s purpose making it therefore not fit also as the chair seems to be starting to have an issue I’m presuming wherever he sits will start.  He has hair which is close cut and all he does is wash it - no products.  I cleaned the suite before Christmas with the retailers kit and it is in a north facing room which is secondary seating area. 

Any advice on how to proceed would be great as I currently have leather furniture in our back room which doesn’t have any issues nor did the 18 year old sofa this one replaced which is still going strong at a friends house.

I could get shot of the husband but I quite like him, I could chuck a throw on it but why should I have too?  

Thank you 

you can use your own ..

under consumer law as the complaint is out side of 6mts you will need a report

and the retailer has the choice of repair/refund or replace = please name them too.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

A very similar issue was reported on a forum a few years ago concerning leather sofas which started to peel.  The person concerned took the retailer to Court using their own inspection report and the Judge actually came to the claimants house with the retailers representative also in attendance.  The Judge awarded the the full amount of their claim.

If you use the retailers own inspection company, which the person mentioned did originally agree to, the inspection reports often favours the retailers.  From I remember the retailers inspection report tried to blame the customer in a most ridiculous fashion saying the furniture was used too much, the customer had not taken care of it but did not provide any evidence.   When the not very independent inspector visited, they also asked questions about eating and drinking while sat on the sofas, looking for any response, they could use to undermine the persons claim.

The customers own independent inspection report revealed that the leather was not fully leather, as it had quite a of vinyl content and was a pretty poor material, which would have peeled after a relatively short period of usage.  

So definitely obtain your own inspection report and be prepared to have to issue a Court claim

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You will have to permit them to carry out their inspection. However, they would have to do this at their expense which would be recoverable if they won a court case.

If you prevented them from carrying out their own inspection then I think would weigh against you in court. On the other hand, if they refuse to carry out their own inspection because you wouldn't pay for it then I don't think that a judge would be very happy about it.

The thing to do is to write to them and tell them that you are more than happy for them to carry out an inspection by appointment – but it will be at their own expense

That’s a good idea, they said Homeserve or something like that and upon reading up it seems they are not very independent and seem to do a lot of what unclebulgaria67 mentions. In the cases like mine it sounds like they’ll say I’ve not cleaned it or cleaned it with the wrong stuff  🙄. Thank you 

Leather doesn't "peel".  Was it sold to you as genuine leather or was it described as faux leather or leather-look or something like that?

Let them do their own inspection at their own cost (and I might be inclined to ask their inspector to confirm whether the material is genuine leather!).

If you don't like their opinion, get your own report done.

in otherwords stuck on bits of 100% leather  - stuck onto man made backing. 

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Information on the type of leather

https://www.leather-dictionary.com/index.php/Semi-aniline

Does  it feel cold when touched ?

"Leather that feels cold and plastic-like should be checked thoroughly as this is not a normal characteristic of semi-aniline leather."

• Thanks 2

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

That's a really interesting website.

So if the OP can't see any skin pores on the leather (using a magnifying glass or macro lens on a camera) or the leather feels cold and plastic like, it probably isn't semi-aniline?

Sounds like it needs to be looked after quite carefully though and marks/stains easily.

OP - that photo' looks a bit like something has been spilled or spattered on it?  (Not saying it has been but it doesn't look like wear from rubbing etc either?)

It is where my husband head lands - presuming the natural oil has degraded whatever coating is on top of the "leather" - I am getting to a certain age and am molten lava hot some nights and have to get up -  I head straight to the couch as it is cold.  🤔

sofa cushion big .jpg

• 5 months later...

When I had a problem with my DFS sofa and they were fobbing me off, I took pictures of it, posted them on the internet with the heading "look at the wonderful quality of this DFS sofa", or words to that effect and sent the link to DFS head office.  It worked a treat and the issue was resolved, plus some large scatter cushions thrown in for free.