• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Arrow Global - alleged Monument Default

Geestra
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1317 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

Would appreciate some advice for my friend Ben.

He checked his Experian credit file in June 2020 and saw the following Default:

Arrow Global Limited

Credit/Store Card

Balance of £797.00

Account started 10/05/2001

Account Settled 01/12/2015

He emailed Experian for details as he didn’t recognise the account.

Experian responded saying that Arrow said "Account relates to a Monument Credit Card which the customer took out on 10/05/2001 and defaulted on 01/12/2015. Arrow Global purchased the account on 22/12/2014”.

Ben then emailed Arrow to request a CCA and all related documentation for the alleged debt.

They emailed each other back and forth a few times as Arrow asked for his DOB to proceed with communicating via email even though their auto response emails stated that they would respond to him via letter.

Arrow then asked him for a reference/account number even though he had explained he had no recollection of any account with them and only had the information provided by Experian so he wrote a stern email to the Complaints Department as he had become frustrated with the situation.

Arrow have now responded to this email 7 weeks later with the letter that I have attached to this message.

This letter states Ben has 3 accounts with them.

2 of these are not showing on any of his credit reports with Experian, Equifax or TransUnion so I presume they are statute barred.

They have very sneakily mentioned that Ben call into discuss these accounts.

The reason Ben needs advice is because in the letter attached,

Arrow have said they will be sending him a cheque for £75.00 for the distress and inconvenience they caused.

The letter is still asking him what CCA he is after even though he mentioned Monument in his emails to them

– they continue to cause distress and inconvenience, perhaps he could ask for a higher amount!

If Ben were to deposit this cheque into his bank account and claim the funds, would this mean he is accepting he owes the alleged debt for the Monument account?

I have told Ben to explain one last time that he wants the CCA and related documentation for the Monument account as he does not recognise it.

But I would rather get some expert advice for him regarding the cheque as it is a lot of money especially in this climate but obviously not worth it if it means that he compromises himself.

I hope I have explained the situation coherently and apologise for any rambling.

Thank you 

arrows letter.pdf

when did he last pay monument anything?

a DCA can't register a default

so the default would have been registered by monument upon sale of the debt or before.

does he recognise ANY of these debts?

to answer your last bit

cashing he cheque is not admittance to ANYTHING.

if the credit taken out resulting in these  debts has not been used/paid by him in 6yrs the debt(s) are statute barred and notging can unbar them, not even a judge.

more info on the monument debt please?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Many thanks for your prompt response

when did he last pay monument anything?

He has no idea at all 

a DCA can't register a default

so the default would have been registered by monument upon sale of the debt or before

The credit report only shows Arrow as a defaulted account, no mention of Monument.

Could Arrow have changed it to their name or if not, does this mean the date of default is before the date that the credit report shows under the Monument account which is 01/12/2015?

does he recognise ANY of these debts?

He has vague recollections of the accounts and also mentioned being on a DMP of some kind some years back which may mean he paid towards the debts?

But he cannot remember!

However only the Monument one is on his credit reports.

to answer your last bit

cashing he cheque is not admittance to ANYTHING

Very good, he’s really happy to hear that!

However, should he need to take the issue to the FOS for whatever reason, will claiming the cheque affect his complaint with the FOS?

if the credit taken out resulting in these debts has not been used/paid by him in 6yrs the debt(s) are statute barred and notging can unbar them, not even a judge.

I had no idea about the judge not being able to unbar them - wow!

more info on the monument debt please?

He cannot remember anything, however:

Experian = Last updated 26/06/2016 with Balance £797.00

26/05/2016 with Balance £807.00

(perhaps he made a payment via the DMP in 05/2016 resulting in the lower balance the following month)

Equifax = Last updated 15/06/2016 with Balance £797.00 and no other data

TransUnion = Last updated 21/08/2020 with Balance £807.00 and D for Defaulted since 05/2016

All quite confusing

Many thanks again

when a debt buyer buys a debt, their name replaces that of the original creditor on credit files

a debt buyer cannot change the defaulted date 

once a debt is defaulted it starts a 6yrs clock running which removes the whole account when the defaulted date reaches it's 6th birthday.

that doesn't mean the debt is still not p'haps owed, but certainly means it can never comeback on a credit file.

i'd get your mate to get in contact with whomever he had the DMP with and send them an sar 

get all the details of everything

then we can plan a way forward.

not sure why you keep think cashing a check is admittance or a problem to anyone.

in the meantime

dont use email

dont ever speak about debt on the phone

dont enter into any pointless letter tennis.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...