Caught speeding - Penalty letter arrived 52 days after offence

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1303 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, i got caught speeding (45 in 30 zone) back on 10th July by a manned gun type and only just got the Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty today - 52 days later. Can i assume this is time-barred or will they pull the 'ol Corona Virus delay trick? Thanks very much

The time limit to commence the court proceedings is six months from the date of the alleged offence. Allowing for the time you have to accept or refuse the COFP, that will still be within the six month limit.

Edited by Raykay

I thought that there was a statutory 14 calendar day limit to be informed by post?

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

The 14 day limit only applies to the initial notice of intended prosecution required to be sent by post (Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988).  It is not required for all offences, or if the person is stopped and told at the time.

49 minutes ago, Stigman said:

I thought that there was a statutory 14 calendar day limit to be informed by post?

I'm not up to date, but it used to be 14 days to issue a Notice of Intended Prosecution unless it was given verbally at the time of the offence.

Saying it was a "manned gun type" suggests you were stopped and therefore it would have been a verbal NIP.