• Tweets

• All of the above but I don't think their default is going to hurt your mortgage application.
    • Unless you have already sent it – which I don't think it's clear – how about this as an alternative:    
    • You mention covid holiday in your title.. did you have one and missed or deferred payments?   tell us the story please though a mortgage company rarely refuses for one default.there must be another reason   DX
    • Vodafone have a reputation for doing this although it hasn't happened for a while. There an appalling company and I think they are the most complained about company and have been find quite a lot of money in the past by the so-called regulator. Frankly I thought that they had started to sort themselves out. Sent them an SAR. They may try to impose some kind of obstacle such as a special former something or other to fill in. This is unlawful as long as they have no reason to be dissatisfied with your identity details. Separately – because they are capable of understanding to issues in the same letter – separately send them a letter of complaint and ask them what's going on. You might also want to try and deal with this on the telephone – but if you do then read our customer services guide first and implement the advice there because anything that is said on the telephone could be of use. However, don't expect this to go away quickly. They are incompetent and once they make a mistake they tend to dig themselves in rather than dig themselves out. Sent they SAR – and separately the letter of complaint.
    • Nobody here can say for sure whether you should challenge this penalty or just pay it because nobody knows if a court would consider your reason(s) for not wearing a mask a reasonable excuse or not.   But... my view would be that if you can get a letter from your doctor saying that because of your medical conditions (acne and anxiety) that wearing a mask causes you such distress (and/or discomfort and/or pain) that you have a medically based reasonable excuse for not wearing a mask, then that should do it for you - in my view.   You can then use that letter to challenge the police as to the validity of the fixed penalty, and if they don't back down you can let it go to court - if you want to do that.  I would expect the court to accept your doctor's letter at face value and quash the penalty - but nothing is certain!   Have you given your doctor/your practice notice of what you want and why you need it?  Have you explained that you have already received a fixed penalty for not wearing a mask, that you want to challenge it and that you need a letter explaining your reasonable excuse for not wearing a mask so that this does not happen again?  At my GP surgery I could either have phoned them up to explain all this in advance, or emailed them explaining it.  It might not be a good idea just to turn up for an appointment without letting the GP know in advance why you are there.   If your GP won't give you a "reasonable excuse" letter - and they may refuse to do so - then you need to think again.   First thing to consider if they don't is that you need to decide if you really have a reasonable excuse or not.  If you still think you do, then you need to decide if you want to challenge the penalty further or if you just want to pay it.  But if you do that, what happens next time* you are caught without a mask?  If you don't think you have a reasonable excuse, then you'd better start wearing a mask.   *If you can't get a GP's letter I have a few other thoughts but will have to post those later - I'm just going out.
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Can somebody post a link to where I can find the relevant legislation of who is responsible to pay Penalty Charge Notices issued by a Local Authority.

To be more precise the schedule/paragraph that clearly state that a PCN is the responsibility of the RK even if the owner/keeper was not the driver at the time.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-enforcement-of-parking-contraventions/guidance-for-local-authorities-on-enforcing-parking-restrictions#collecting-evidence-of-contraventions

https://www.trafficpenaltytribunal.gov.uk/legislation-parking-penalty-charge-notices-pcns-issued-in-england-outside-london/

You were not driving the vehicle at the time

As the registered owner of the car, you will be sent the PCN and the Notice to Owner, however, if you can prove that you were not driving the car at the time, you should be able to avoid the fine.

Proving this will depend on the reason why someone else was driving the car. If you had hired the car out to someone else and they signed a qualifying hiring agreement and a statement of liability, you will be able to pass liability to the driver who hired the car, as long as you can provide their name and address.

https://www.daslaw.co.uk/blog/parking-tickets-penalty-notices-and-fines

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

can't see where it doesn't specially say 'Penalty charges Notices' and 'local Authority' in both links

nothing to do with Private Speculative Invoice anywhere.

the registered Keeper gets the NIP and are liable

unless they return the NIP Naming a separate Driver 

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Firstly, there is no NIP in local authority parking enforcement.

Secondly, the quote reproduced by Andyorch states:  "...if you can prove you were not driving the car at the time, you should be able to avoid the fine".

This is simply not the case for pcns issued by local authorities as a part of decriminalised enforcement.

:crazy: why did i say NIP...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...