DVLA FINE - NO INSURANCE / APPEAL

Qwinner
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1328 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I've received a fine from Cheshire accounting division with a fine for nearly £360 saying that last year for the period of 5 weeks before I sold my car it wasn't insured. This is the first letter I've received on the matter, plus I sent a SORN to the DVLA at the time so I've not thought anything about this since. I've since moved house, this letter from the Cheshire and Merseyside collections arrived at my brothers house not even mine! So i'm wanting to appeal this as it's a scam, I sent that letter off and plus the weeks that they are saying it wasn't insured it was also on my driveway not used once. I didn't receive any confirmation that they SORN it (which they obviously didn't) but after a few weeks i'd sold the car and I said didn't think anything off it. Nearly a year later this letter arrives!!

Any advice on how to appeal? anyone had this same experience? any help would be much appreciated. 

GDPR subject access to DVLA might be worthwhile to see what records they have.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/driver-and-vehicle-licensing-agency/about/personal-information-charter

Did you keep proof of posting for the SORN, if not sent recorded delivery ?

Why did you not register SORN online ? Was there a problem using this ?

The problem you have is that if the SORN was not recorded, you had a legal responsibility to keep Insurance on the vehicle. 

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles

Sounds like you were sent Magistrates notice which you did not respond to as sent to old address and now you have a Magistrates court fine. They will now attempt to enforce this, going to your Brothers address, if they don't have your new address. So you might want to contact Magistrates to try to get enforcement put on hold while you try to find out what DVLA did with the SORN.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

They must have sent letters to my old address, but I had no obligation to update the DVLA on moving house. I didn't and still don't own a car since. I have always sent anything to DVLA via the postal service, and god knows where the proof of postage is as it's nearly a year since and I've moved house.

I would never trust DVLA in receiving post and actioning it because online/media reports contain thousands of cases similar to yours. Use online service where available and post as last resort but only by recorded.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread