Housing benefits, universal credit and esa

Hey all,

I am male 33 I receive employment and support with severe disability premium, pip enhanced daily living, lower mobility rates and housing benefits. 

My partner 23, pregnant and gets universal credit.

The council have a joint application and we are on a high banding so that we can move in together,

my question is

how will our benefits be affected,

we both was advised to stay as single claimants as we dont live together at the moment and I dont understand what will happen to our benefits will they stay the same?

Will I get moved to universal credit?

If I do what outcome of income should I expect?

I am worried I will just get moved into standard universal credit or my money will stop.

Could someone help me do a benefit calculator and explain what benefits I will loose and how our rent etc will be paid 

you must do a joint claim if you move in together.

try one of the many benefit calc websites like entitled.to

there is a calc and lots of advice there upon what will happen too.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s -  would collapse overnight.

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs - that's why they will never tell you they are not bailiffs and have absolutely zero legal powers on any debt.

Hi thank you

I'm not really good at the calculator

I dont understand it properly

I will call mind on monday

Because you claim Severe Disability PSDP), you will stay on your existing benefits.   At the moment, you cannot claim Universal Credit, if you currently receive the SDP.

Because you receive SDP, you are treated in a totally different way. This is because Universal Credit does not currently include any amount similar to SDP.   

Edit-  See below from Sirbob00, that if your partner does move in, you will lose the SDP and the consequence is that you then have to move to a joint Universal Credit claim.  Think this is correct and you will have to think carefully about the consequences.  

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If you move in together you’ll loose the SDP premium and you’ll have to go onto her Universal Credit claim. 

You would loose your housing benefit but you would get the housing element on UC.  When baby is born you can claim child benefits and the child element will be added to your UC.  

As regards ESA if you’re in the Support Group or WRAG this should be transferred over to UC

On 29/08/2020 at 17:21, Sirbob00 said:

If you move in together you’ll loose the SDP premium and you’ll have to go onto her Universal Credit claim. 

You would loose your housing benefit but you would get the housing element on UC.  When baby is born you can claim child benefits and the child element will be added to your UC.  

As regards ESA if you’re in the Support Group or WRAG this should be transferred over to UC

Thank you to both of you,

On 29/08/2020 at 17:21, Sirbob00 said:

Thank you to both of you, so will I also loose my pip aswell? And dose universal credit not have a disability component? Because I wouldnt be able to live on a standard joint claim of £409.89 my eating disorder costs more than that for supplements. Also my partner is only 23 so she also has the under 25's amount what is alot less

No you won’t loose PIP.  That will be paid separately.  Also as you’re over 25 you’ll get £594.04 standard allowance even though your partner is under 25.  The standard rate at the moment is roughly an extra £80 per month due to COVID and is due to end April 2021. 

If this is your's and your partner's first child, you may also be entitled to the £500 Sure Start Maternity Grant:

"You could get a one-off payment of £500 to help towards the costs of having a child. This is known as a Sure Start Maternity Grant.

You usually qualify for the grant if both of the following apply:

• you’re expecting your first child, or you’re expecting a multiple birth (such as twins) and have children already
  • you or your partner already get certain benefits

You must claim the grant within 11 weeks of the baby’s due date or within 6 months after the baby’s birth.

You do not have to pay the grant back and it will not affect your other benefits or tax credits."

https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity-grant

This will help with the cost of items you need for your baby.

If you're in the WRAG for ESA, you will also receive an additional limited capability for work element £128.25 per month on UC. If you are in the Support Group for ESA there is an additional limited capability for work related activity element of £341.92 per month. You will also receive a housing element towards rent which depends on how much the rent is and the number of bedrooms/people in the property.

Once the baby is born, there is also a child element of £235.83 per month plus child benefit of £21.05 per week.

Currently in the WRAG for ESA - UC SA £594.04 + £128.25 = £722.29 per month plus X amount of housing element towards rent.

Currently in Support Group for ESA - UC SA £594.04 + £341.92 = £935.96 per month plus X amount of housing element.

Once baby is born LCW (WRAG)- UC £722.29 + CE £235.83 + CB £91.22 = £1067.34 per month plus X amount of the housing element towards rent.

Once baby is born LCWRA (Support Group) - UC £935.96 + CE £235.83 + CB £91.22 = £1263.01 per month plus X amount of housing element.

It is likely that all, if not most, of your rent will be paid by the housing element

You should also apply for council tax reduction to reduce your council tax bill.

30 minutes ago, Will Goodfellow said:

If this is your's and your partner's first child, you may also be entitled to the £500 Sure Start Maternity Grant:

"You could get a one-off payment of £500 to help towards the costs of having a child. This is known as a Sure Start Maternity Grant.

You usually qualify for the grant if both of the following apply:

• you’re expecting your first child, or you’re expecting a multiple birth (such as twins) and have children already
  • you or your partner already get certain benefits

You must claim the grant within 11 weeks of the baby’s due date or within 6 months after the baby’s birth.

You do not have to pay the grant back and it will not affect your other benefits or tax credits."

https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity-grant

This will help with the cost of items you need for your baby.

Thank you for the info I didnt no about it but my partners midwife did tell her about it, i have two other children so probably not 

Hi will 

I am on income related esa with sdp in the support group, I dont have to attend any meetings or carry out any work I just have to go to a assesment normally every 2 years it was every year at first. I no i probably shouldn't say but I receive £381 every two weeks and pip £451 every four weeks

Then council tax and rent is paid automatically for me except I have a direct debit setup to pay £36.90 per month 

We have now been accepted for a 2 bedroom house well they said nominated. But its via the council. Thank you 

As you are currently in the suppport group for ESA, until the baby is born you will receive:

UC SA £594.04 + £341.92 = £935.96 per month plus X amount of housing element towards rent. Plus PIP.

As it is a 2 bedroom, council property, it is very likely that all of your rent bar 12% will be paid. This is because until your baby is born, there will be a 12% reduction in your housing element for a spare room, bedroom tax. You will need to pay that 12% reduction yourself. You can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment from your local council to cover the 12% shortfall but there is no gurantee that you will receive it.

Once your baby is born, the 12% will no longer be deducted as you won't have a spare room so it is very likely that all of your rent will be paid, you will receive the following:

UC £935.96 + CE £235.83 + CB £91.22 = £1263.01 per month plus (more than likely) all of your rent paid by the housing element of UC.

You will continue to receive your PIP. 

Your total monthly income including PIP once the baby is born will be £1751.60 and in addition all of your rent will (most likely) be paid.

You should also apply for a council tax reduction.

You may have to pay some council tax depending on which local council you fall under as each council has different policies.

Edited by Will Goodfellow
17 minutes ago, Will Goodfellow said:

As you are currently in the suppport group for ESA, until the baby is born you will receive:

UC SA £594.04 + £341.92 = £935.96 per month plus X amount of housing element towards rent. Plus PIP.

As it is a 2 bedroom, council property, it is very likely that all of your rent bar 12% will be paid. This is because until your baby is born, there will be a 12% reduction in your housing element for a spare room, bedroom tax. You will need to pay that 12% reduction yourself. You can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment from your local council to cover the 12% shortfall but there is no gurantee that you will receive it.

Once your baby is born, the 12% will no longer be deducted as you won't have a spare room so it is very likely that all of your rent will be paid, you will receive the following:

UC £935.96 + CE £235.83 + CB £91.22 = £1263.01 per month plus (more than likely) all of your rent paid by the housing element of UC.

You will continue to receive your PIP. 

Your total monthly income including PIP once the baby is born will be £1751.60 and in addition all of your rent will (most likely) be paid.

You should also apply for a council tax reduction.

You may have to pay some council tax depending on which local council you fall under as each council has different policies.

Thanks again will

Severe disability premium

You cannot claim Universal Credit if you either:

• get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it
  • got or were entitled to the severe disability premium in the last month, and you’re still eligible for it.

I was really confused with the above comment on the gov website, but you have explained it alot more clearly to me, unlike the website and benefit calculators I was really confused by it all.

Would you possibly no if I will have to go threw a assesment again or will our money just simply swap over? 

Thank you

It is correct that you cannot just decide to claim universal credit instead of ESA as you currently receive SDP. However, you should be submitting a change of circumstances rather making a fresh claim so will be moved on to universal credit, and will therefore lose your SDP.

You will not have to be reassessed as a result of a change of circumstances, your change of circumstances will be processed without any affect on your limited capability for work related activity status.

Edited by Will Goodfellow
1 hour ago, Will Goodfellow said:

It is correct that you cannot just decide to claim universal credit instead of ESA as you currently receive SDP. However, you should be submitting a change of circumstances rather making a fresh claim so will be moved on to universal credit, and will therefore lose your SDP.

You will not have to be reassessed as a result of a change of circumstances, your change of circumstances will be processed without any affect on your limited capability for work related activity status.

Ok brilliant so its really just the case of ringing up and telling them when we are going to move in 

Once you have signed the tenancy for your new property, you should notify Jobcentre Plus of a change of circumstances within one month by calling 0800 169 0310.

It may advise you to submit a claim for universal credit but you should clarify the correct process with Jobcentre Plus before submitting that claim.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Thanks for your help so far, while I'm here the new house they are asking for a £679 deposit, it is with a housing association bromford housing and we was nominated by the local council for the property, since living on my own I have had 3 tenantcys and i have never had to pay the first deposit, is this right or has there been some sort of error down the line?

Each housing association has different policies so you would need to confirm with Bromford Housing whether or not a deposit is required.  If a deposit is required and you don't have it, check Shelter's advice for options, your local council may have a rent deposit, bond and guarantee scheme:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/rent_deposit,_bond_and_guarantee_schemes