Jump to content

Unexpected Letter from Council

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 264 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi all, I've been quietly paying council tax at my current address for more than 3 years, and at another address for the previous 2 years but within the same council. I received a letter from the council this week stating "You may be entitled to some help towards COuncil Tax by way of a COuncil Tax Reduction (CTR), but you will need to make a claim for this support..."


Does anyone know what could have triggered this?


I recently changed jobs from working in a NHS hospital to being self emplyed, BUT I have not informed HMRC or any others of the changes, and I have not been paid at the new job yet.


Thanks for any replies.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the best thing to do is to call them and find out what's going on.

You don't want any errors or misunderstandings with council tax because they are pretty swift to make their move on you if they think that you owe them money or there is something funny going on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, what BF says. Each council has its own CTR scheme so the only way to find out what has triggered the letter is to contact them.  It's possible your council has sent the letter to everyone  to help ensure all those entitled to claim are doing so. If so then they won't know anything about your personal circumstances, it's just coincidence that you received it shortly after changing jobs and becoming self employed.


General explanation of CTR here on Citizen's Advice:  https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/help-if-on-a-low-income/help-with-your-council-tax-council-tax-reduction/council-tax-reduction-what-you-need-to-know/


Before calling them have a look at what the council website says about your local CTR scheme.  gov.uk has a handy page that will take you straight to it  https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction

Edited by Ethel Street
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...