Confusion over gas supply and no bill for 2 years..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1336 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This is my first post here and I would like some advice please..

My domestic gas was supplied by British Gas, as soon as my bill was due to be paid they would ring me from an overseas call centre every day without fail.. 

it was ridiculous and in the end I lost it and told them I was going to change my supplier.

This was May 2018…

I actually never did, but in late July of the same year I got an email saying “we’re sorry to see you go”, I just ignored it as I was still seething with them.

There are two flats in my property and a residential letting business has been run from an Office on the ground floor for over 50 years, its on the electoral register.

The name of the business attached to the address always comes up when you search the address, not the individual flats which can get quite confusing sometimes…

it transpired that the chap I share the house with, (he lives in the flat upstairs), decided he was going to change his supplier at the same time as I had told them I was, and it just so happened to be British Gas! I remember him mentioning something about some confusion with the whole thing and a mix up with the address’s when he did it, but again I didn’t pay much attention to what was going on…

I never received another bill from British Gas or any other supplier since, as I said, this was back in 2018.

I couldn’t be bothered to get in touch with British Gas.

really had had enough of them and I didn’t know if I had another supplier (or who they were anyway)

Just left it…

in May this year upstairs got an estimated bill for both our meters and wanted proof that my meter wasn’t his responsibility.

He took photos of both meters, explaining that mine was in a separate property and wasn’t anything to do with him.

didn’t hear anything more until this month when I seem to have been sent a welcome pack by Green Star energy saying they were the supplier to the property and a bill for the period Aug 2018- May 2020 for £1211. It’s addressed to ‘The Occupier GROUND FLOOR FLAT’ etc,

I didn’t notice this for a few weeks as it wasn’t actually addressed to me personally so it got left in the hallway.

around 15th August I got a letter from Shell Energy who it transpires have bought out Green Star with another welcome letter and another bill saying I had to settle up by August 27th (today).

today, (27th), I had a threatening letter from MIL Collections (again dressed to The Occupier) demanding arrangements for the  bill to be settled within 72 hours or they may instruct an agent to establish residency and reason for non payment.. “This may be my final chance to resolve this before legal action is instigated”..

What is annoying is this letter was dated the 22nd August, 5 days before I had been asked by Shell to settle the bill.

Slightly premature I think…

I have never signed a contract with either Shell or Green Star to supply my gas and would like to know the best way to proceed.

Don’t mind paying the bill for the gas used but none of this was really my fault and also I have been out of work since lockdown and would have to pay it in instalments.

any advice as to what my rights are and the best way to deal with it all going forward, whether I have to use them as a supplier,

(maybe I could get a better deal from a different supplier?)

I don’t like the idea of giving my money to Shell either, not the most ethical of corporations…

Thanks in advance for any help received!

Your supply should still be registered with British Gas as you did not arrange for another company to take over the supply.  Not quite sure why Green Star/Shell think the occupier of the address owes money.

As it is possible for Gas supplies to be disconnected or a pre-pay meter installed, I think it might be sensible to find out from British Gas  about your supply before any contact with MIL collections.

Write down details of the meter number and contact British Gas to find out what happened to the supply at your address.  Ask them why  was the supply contract closed ?  And If so when was it closed ?

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

ignore MIL collections stuff and all a powerless DCA can do.

you should be able to find out who the system thinks is your supplier by the link below

Who is my gas or electricity supplier?: 

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/connections-and-moving-home/who-my-gas-or-electricity-supplier#:~:text=Who is my gas supplier%3F&text=Or call 0870 608 1524,where your meter is located.

Find My Supplier:

https://www.findmysupplier.energy/webapp/index.html

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Also send them all an SAR - each of them

Also I think it's reasonable to point out to you and also anybody else who reads this thread that to go into one and then to start ignoring companies out of some fit of pique only means that you store up a load of trouble for yourself later.

I think you are probably starting to appreciate that

no but with the confusion regarding addresses etc.

is your MPAN/Meter number correct for your meter on the shell details?

?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

British Gas should be first call, as you say you were their customer. Record the call if you can or take very good notes.

It is possible if you had paid bills to British Gas, that Shell have hijacked your meter in error. This is where the supply has incorrectly been transferred without the home occupier being aware..

Any calls you make to companies are just for basic enquiries and you should still send letters to obtain information such as the SAR, as then you have a paper record which may become very important.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread