£10 bank charges?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Have just found out about claiming back bank charges and im really excited as I was stung quite abit as a student! Never though i'd be so happy to see so many charges on my statements!

Over last 6 years Im estimating about £1200 calculating from last 12 months statements I have, that come to £260. I have phoned barclays and am now awaiting last 6 years statements to be posted to me. Does anyone know how long this should take to be posted?

The main question I have is that most people appear to have larger charges than £10. All the charges applied to my account for an unauthorised overdraft are for £10, will this still be a good enough fight to claim back

Would appreciated any replies, thanks!

Hi and welcome to the site,

:p

You've definately taken the first step into claiming back what's rightfully yours.

In answer to your questions, the bank has got 40 days to supply you with your statements although it shouldn't take this long. Even though you've only incurred charges of £10 it is still worth the fight, afterall its still your money!

Spend time reading the FAQ's and the Step by Step guide as this will stop you making mistakes along the way. Use the letters and spreadsheets in the Templates Library as these have all been tried and tested in successful claims. Read as many threads as you can especially ones that relate to your bank. This is a SELF HELP site and won’t do the work involved for you. However, everything you need is on here somewhere.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions, no matter how stupid they may seem, but please remember that any advice that you receive is normally based on experience only and that you should seek expert advice if required.

Once you start the process of your claim remember to open a thread in the relative bank forum, this will enable you, and others helping you, to keep track of your claim.

All the best in your claim!! :wink:

Useful links to help with your claim

FAQ’s

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Letter Templates

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

Interest Spreadsheet

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-6-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

Court N1 form

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/681-4-particulars-claim-n1.html

Mcol Particulars of Claim

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/34887-5-money-claim-line.html

• Haha 1

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

Hi Deller1

Thats really helpful, thank you very much for your advice.

I read vairous bits about bank charges yesterday and saw something about charges under £12 but can't find it again, but in my opinion £10 is still unlawful and not proportionate to the costs they incured. As i'm going travelling in January every penny counts and all those £10's certainly add up!

Good luck with your case!

Precisely, when you send them your preliminary letter it quite clearly states that you believe the charges to be unlawful and, If they say that they are not, then will they please demonstrate this by letting you have a full breakdown of the costs to which they have been put by as a result of your breaches, in order to reassure you that their penalties really do reflect their costs.

Hi Deller1

Thats really helpful, thank you very much for your advice.

I read vairous bits about bank charges yesterday and saw something about charges under £12 but can't find it again, but in my opinion £10 is still unlawful and not proportionate to the costs they incured. As i'm going travelling in January every penny counts and all those £10's certainly add up!

Good luck with your case!

You appear to be in the same position as my son whos charges were #10 whilst he was a student.

I have claimed for them also. I havnt had the payment yet but I am expecteing it shortly.

Its up to the bank really. If they want to disclose their costs then fine but they wont. so crack on.

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I have read through the templates and the prilim letter says 'I enclose a schedule of the charges' is there a separate form/chart/template to enter the charges made as I cant find it, or do I just list all the separate charges and dates?

Also do you know if there are any cases that have gone to court and failed???

Thank you!

Thanks for the link Deller.

Ok, I have received my statements form Barclays but they have not included the full 6 years I requested, any have only supplied the last 4 years.

I have called them to request the missing 2 years of which they have charged me a £5 fee, although they have said they will be with me in 5 working days.

I am going travelling on the 15th January (so will have about 5 weeks in this country left by the time I have sent out the intitial prilim letter) I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of timescales as by the looks of other threads I will have to take it as far a filing a court case.

SO question is how long does the process take and will I still be able to take action whilst not in the country? Eg if I get someone else to open mail etc? Although a bit worried about getting a court date and not actually being here...

Any help/advice much appreciated

Thank you

Thanks for the link Deller.

Ok, I have received my statements form Barclays but they have not included the full 6 years I requested, any have only supplied the last 4 years.

I have called them to request the missing 2 years of which they have charged me a £5 fee, although they have said they will be with me in 5 working days.

I am going travelling on the 15th January (so will have about 5 weeks in this country left by the time I have sent out the intitial prilim letter) I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of timescales as by the looks of other threads I will have to take it as far a filing a court case.

SO question is how long does the process take and will I still be able to take action whilst not in the country? Eg if I get someone else to open mail etc? Although a bit worried about getting a court date and not actually being here...

Any help/advice much appreciated

Thank you

The chances are that with Barclays you are not going to get any sort of payout until just before the court date.

Ive been doing it for all my kids and to be honest they havnt been that involved and its certainly something a friend or family member could do for you. Im fairly sure that if you write a letter to barclays with your initial approach and inform them that XXXX will be dealing with the matter and have your authority to do so they will correspond with the name person.

Court dates a bit of a problem but todate Barclays havnt let it go that far but thats not to say they wont.

I would start the process and see where you are when you go travelling.

I just got a payout in full from Barclays 3 weeks after filing the MCOL as they failed to acknowledge. you may be lucky

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500