• Tweets

• Hi thanks for your help, I’ve sent the letter. I am worried though that I won’t know what to ignore and what to not? Will the notice of claim be marked as such ans can I post back on here if I get one?  Also- how do I know I haven’t had a CCJ already ? I just can’t quite understand why they would wait this long ? thanks 
    • It's not necessary to see an invoice. You will have to figure out how much you paid for the installation part of the work which was carried out – because that is what you want to claim back. If it's not clear what proportion of the bill was in respect of the installation, then you will probably need to get some outside opinions – independent opinions – as to the cost of an installation. It would be better to understate the value then overstate it – because if the cost is not clear then that could become the subject of a dispute if you take this to court. You will be better off identifying an amount of money which you could reasonably attribute to the cost of installing the new turbo – and which will be supported by independent evidence – and which will be accepted without much question from the judge.
    • It's clear, but it's. Not correct. The 2000 was for other work also  I do understand what you're saying but it may be easier for me to show you a copy of the invoice then we can be completely correct.   I will send a copy this evening after work if you don't mind.
    • I'm not too sure what to suggest other than to keep on trying during the day and try again tomorrow. I suppose that it is just possible that they have now filed an acknowledgement and that in some way it has overlapped with the end of the 14 day period – which apparently ended on Sunday. If you are not able to enter judgement by tomorrow, then I think you should phone the court. Keep on trying throughout the day.
    • As far as I understand it, your turbo failed and had to be replaced. That means that you have to pay for the turbo unit and also you have to pay for the costs of installing it. I understand that the first garage supplied you the turbo and therefore the cost of that is legitimate and cannot be claimed back. I understand that the turbo was installed incorrectly so that eventually the work had to be redone by a second garage and that you paid the installation fee to the second garage. In essence that means that you have paid the installation fee twice. Once to the first garage who did the job so badly that you then had to pay the fee again to the second garage who did the job correctly. This means that the payment to the first garage – is recoverable. The payment to the second garage, is not recoverable because the turbo failed and it had to be replaced. You say that you paid the first garage £2000. Find out the cost of the turbo – and deduct that from the £2000. So, if the turbo cost £200 – deducting that from the £2000 means that they have charge you £1800 for Labour. That means that you can recover the £1800 because it was wasted as they didn't do the job correctly and the job had to be done again. Is that clear and is it correct?
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Bought a Clocked & damaged Car

MiE - I  have replied to MB and copied their UK CEO in to make exactly that point. Thank you :)

In other news, I got MY SAR data from Marshall. This shows 0 communication between Marshall and Creartion which is V odd. I have asked for clarification as to why it is not included. i.e are they claiming some kind of privilige or does it simply not exist!

The only interesting SAR nugget is that I forgot that I had refused to sign the handover sheet to say I had seen the mileage statement or had chance to check the car. This is beacuse they couln't find the mileage sheet while we were at the dealership  (because we now know the car is clocked) and that the car could not be inspected because it was dark. I am glad they have sent the sheets as filled in and that they haven't edited them. I think it may help with the claim.

Creation are now out if time for the SAR, what should I do please? 

Edited by sallyblackburn
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick question, but from reading this, I get the impression that you have not had the body works carried out, is this correct?   if you have an estimate but not had the works carried out, th

eversheds are solicitors for hire but part of the Creation Group of Companies or their parents - just one desk nearer the bog..

Creation have a appointed the city law firm Eversheds to defend the section 75 car claim. They claim that they have filed an AoS stating that they intend to defend in full. Will update when the defenc

Posted Images

I emailed Creation to confirm they have the LBA yesterday.

"I sent you a Letter Before Action over 14 days ago. I can see no reply by post or by email. The next step is for me to issue court proceedings. Unless you confirm that a response to the LBA has been sent by 16:50 tomorrow I will be issuing court proceedings at that time.

A copy of this email will be provided to the court in respect of costs."

Today I received this.

"Thank you for your email, please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

We have received your Letter Before Action and we have no further comment to make at this stage.

Kind regards"

As such I have issued a claim against them for damages for breach of contract and misrepresentation. I cannot quite understand why they would accept getting and LBA and be so blase about ignoring it!

Edited by sallyblackburn

When you send a letter of claim – it gives a certain deadline after which you will take action. At the expiry of the deadline – you take the action you threatened. You don't send them reminders

Partly because they don't believe that you will follow through with your threat – and in fact so far they've been proved right

Please will you post up your POC

As BankFodder said back on page 1, Creation's original response to you was plain nonsense - so perhaps they haven't got a clue what is going on.  Wait to see if they formally acknowledge it and file a defence.  They can't very well say they didn't receive it now!  (I can see Creation might be difficult to deal with.  Are you suing the dealer too?  And have you asked MB UK about the diminished "value" of their approved car scheme?)

AS BF says, having sent the LBA you need to commit to it.

(several cross-posts while i've typed this)

On 24/09/2020 at 18:41, Manxman in exile said:

As BankFodder said back on page 1, Creation's original response to you was plain nonsense - so perhaps they haven't got a clue what is going on.  Wait to see if they formally acknowledge it and file a defence.  They can't very well say they didn't receive it now!  (I can see Creation might be difficult to deal with.  Are you suing the dealer too?  And have you asked MB UK about the diminished "value" of their approved car scheme?)

I am not suing the dealer. They are very slippery, willing to lie and It is very likely that I am going to have to sue them under the GDP/DPA2018 as they are really messing around with my data. So far they have sent me what they claimed was all the data, and when I challenged them about some documents I know they have, they claimed LPP, then when I said LPP didn't apply they sent those, but they have still failed to disclose a single piece of communication with Creation and there is a distinct lack of internal correspondence on this whole matter.

I have just sent the detailed particulars of claim to Creation and the certificate of service N215 and copies of the particulars to the CCBC.

With regards to Creation and the LBA, I spoke to a friend who has just bassed the bar exams and who does county court advocacy work as a part time job and he said he can see no reason why someone would acknowledge an LBA but decline to reply. It is clearly a breach of the pre action protocol and if the court decides my claim is without merit it would be easy to argue they shouldn't get costs. He says the standard practice he sees from parties when ignoring a letter is generally to act like they didn't get it and feign surprise, so by acknowledging it Creation have not helped themselves apparently.

Edited by sallyblackburn

Good luck with the case – we are all following you.

However, there is no breach of pre-action protocol by failing to reply to a letter of claim. I don't know where your friend gets that from. Maybe you'd like to give us the source of that wisdom

(b) the defendant responding within a reasonable time - 14 days in a straight forward case and no more than 3 months in a very complex one. The reply should include confirmation as to whether the claim is accepted and, if it is not accepted, the reasons why, together with an explanation as to which facts and parts of the claim are disputed and whether the defendant is making a counterclaim as well as providing details of any counterclaim; and

The defendant is required to reply to the LBA in a way specified in the Practice Direction apparently.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct#6.1

Well thank you. That is the second time that you have put me right on a point of procedure.

I still don't think it's going to matter very much to the issue of costs – but I shall be interested to see what happens.

Anyway thank you for the source link. We learn something new every day. Maybe you should be an adviser on this forum!

He just sent this:

https://keoghs.co.uk/keoghs-insight/aware/when-ignorance-is-not-bliss

I think the breadth of knowledge I would need to have to be an adviser on this forum is way beyond the very limited fields that I have been reading up on. I really appreciate all the help you've given me. The SAR idea in particular has been a goldmine! 

BankFodder. I made an SAR to Creation on 24 August and have had an email asking for ID, which I supplied. Since then I have heard nothing, despite chasing it. What should I be doing please? I have 0 idea about this aspect of things.

Edited by sallyblackburn
  • 2 weeks later...

I have still not had my SAR data from Creation. They have acknowledged the request on 31 August and asked for ID which I sent. Since then despite chasing twice I have heard nothing from them. What should I be doing please?

Okay, I hope you don't find this too frustrating – but this thread has been going on for over six weeks and frankly I rather lost track.

Would you mind just summarising the story again – and pull the various bits that we have discovered as we've gone along this thread together into one post.

Try to avoid extensive narrative but let's just have it short and sweet.

If you want you could start a new thread – I understand that at some point during this thread we suddenly discovered that the car had been clocked in addition to the other issues.

As I say, I'm sorry find this frustrating – but the thread has revealed various things as it has proceeded and it would be nice to have a distillation.

Sorry, I think we may have misunderstood each other. You seem to have started a new thread dealing simply with the breach of the SAR rules by Creation.

I had expected you to give us a distillation of the entire case

1 minute ago, BankFodder said:

Sorry, I think we may have misunderstood each other. You seem to have started a new thread dealing simply with the breach of the SAR rules by Creation.

I had expected you to give us a distillation of the entire case

The only live issue right now is re the SAR. The car litigation is awaiting a defence. 

Well that shows you how much I've lost contact with the thread.

And presumably you have sued creation.

So at some point it will be useful to add this breach of SAR to the case against creation. I suppose it's rather a shame that the claim has already been issued because then it would have been a simple matter.

Because you have already got something going against creation and it's all a bit complicated anyway, it might be simply best to send creation another letter telling them that they are in breach of statutory duty and making it a formal complaint and in which they are required to provide you with a final response within eight weeks so that you can then go to the ombudsman.

When they eventually file a defence – as they surely will – then you can take a view that I would suggest that maybe on the directions questionnaire, you asked the judge to order them to comply with the SAR dated XXX and in respect of which they are in breach of statutory duty.

I think that might be the easiest way to proceed so far.

Based on their response to your next letter, and also make a complaint to the ICO – although that won't get you anywhere but it should get your reference number which will help

Posted (edited)

I sued Creation and served the detailed particulars on them the next day and filed the N215 with the court the same day. I sued them the same day that they told me that they had received, but did not intend to reply to the LBA

I will make the formal complaint to them and then refer to the ICO. 

If they file a defence I will come back here. The failure to reply to the SAR and the failure to reply to the SAR makes me very curious as to what data they have.

Edited by sallyblackburn
  • dx100uk changed the title to Bought a Clocked & damaged Car

I think it's far more likely that they don't receive many SARs and it has either passed them by or they don't really know what to do with it.

Anyway, it's just more iron to your fire

• Thanks 1

The SAR team is part of the parent company BNP Paribas which is a huge worldwide operation. I'm really  curious as to the lack of response, especially when combined with the nonchalant attitude towards the pre action correspondence. Nobody I have spoken to has any idea why they would behave in such a way.