Moorcroft are chasing me for an unknown debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1337 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Checking my voicemail today I had a message from Moorcroft asking me to call them.

It's a name I haven't heard for several months.

Admittedly I was paying them something by direct debit several months back but I changed accounts and they fell through the net.

I've also moved house just under a year ago, so I would assume if they've written to me, I've not had their letters.

The thing is,

I don't know what this debt is for.

Several years ago I had various loans and credit cards which have all since been paid off.

I would imagine that if Moorcroft contacted me during that period, I'd have assumed they were something I've forgotten about and just set up the payment.

I do remember a company who I was paying by direct debit suddenly cancelling and switching to a different company who then accused me of cancelling the direct debit myself.

I've looked on my credit report on both Equifax and Experian and see nothing outstanding.

Certainly no missed payments.

I can account for everything on there.

I'm trying to save to buy a house and I'm really anxious about Moorcroft taking me to court and ending up with a CCJ.

Do I contact them and ask or is this some sort of scam?

Surely if I'd missed payments for months from somewhere, it would be on my credit report?

if you were blindly paying any dca on a debt that was defaulted more than 6yrs , the debt will no longer show after the default reaches it's 6th birthday.

you should never blindly pay a DCA

they are NOT BAILIFFS

and have 

ZERO legal powers on ANY debt no matter what it's type.

as for moving , ideally one should not move without informing anyone that owns a debt of you correct and current address, if you might of used that credit or last paid it within say 7yrs and left a debt balance.

as for moorcroft, they don't buy debts, so can't get a CCJ or anything, only their client, the owner of the debt 'could' raise a court claim should they think you owe them money and that can quite legally be raised against the old address.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If your credit file is clear and these clowns don't appear on it, then treat their voicemail as a wrong number.

As DX says there is sweet fanny Adams they can do, and their robo calls can be ignored.

Wait until they send a computer generated missive out, that's IF they can get an adult to operate the computer!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I usually strongly advocate the black hole technique whereby you never talk to them, email them, or answer their correspondence, just file everything neatly along with the envelopes it came in.   

However, if you don't know who the creditor is or if you even doubt you have a creditor it might be wise to write a very simple letter to Moorcroft advising them of your new address, something like the following:

I am writing to advise you that on DATE I moved from OLD ADDRESS to NEW ADDRESS and I request you update you records accordingly.

Yours sincerely

YOUR NAME

DO NOT sign it.

By doing this they will be able to write to you with their claim, which for the most part can be ignored.  However, if anybody out there is coming after you for a debt you need to receive the correspondence just in case the original claimant, spurious or not, goes for a County Court Claim.   If nothing else then a record of the above letter and the date of posting ought to give you grounds for turning over any future CCJ they get.

But in any case this is 99%  sure you will get any letters before action/claim packs etc.

Also, File EVERYTHING you get.

moorcroft don't buy debts and cannot issue claims..................

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just write to them with your current address, after that they are safe to ignore.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If they write then advise them that you did have debts some time ago and believed at the time that they were collecting on behalf of the creditor.

You now understand that was not the case as sums paid to them were not reflected in statements and that you now require an immediate full refund of all amounts paid to them in the past.

You will accept that this was a genuine mistake on their part only if they comply with this demand.

If they write just ignore them, unless it's a letter before action.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Well unless the OP comes back and interacts with us which theyve not done for almost a week...

and they