• Tweets

• I agree with my site team colleague above. We need to know all the facts including which company you are dealing with and an explanation of the problem. It really is too difficult to start giving speculative advice on some speculative problem that you have laid out as a generalised scenario
    • Moorcroft are sending a rep round to my house this week. What is the best way to handle this? Ignore and not answer the door or engage with them? I haven't acknowledged anything since I started on this journey and defaulted on my cards in December 2022
    • Very sorry but with the best will in the world, I don't think we can at all understand what the situation is here. Please can you try rewriting this on a word processor and maybe send a copy of what you have written to a friend and working out together so that the story is complete but as brief as possible. Maybe a list of dates as well. If you can do that and then repost your story we can have a look
    • Hi, I am a local authority tenant and was in a 3 bed house. At the end of last year, my last child moved out and so did my spouse as we are now going through a divorce which meant that I was in the house alone and decided that I needed to downsize not only for myself but to offer the property to a family that needed it. I registered on the local authority housing bidding site as i was asked to do and I was accepted and given a priority banding as I was downsizing and they were desperate for my house. I have been extremely lucky and after about 6 weeks was accepted for a new build from a housing association via the housing gateway. I viewed the property 2 weeks ago and had to sign the tenancy last week when they were doing bulk signups for the houses and that is the day I moved. In between viewing and sign up, I contacted my current local authority landlord and asked how I give notice as I had been accepted for a property I had bid on and was moving.  The lady told me how to do it online and then said that I needed to give a full weeks notice which wasnt a problem as I had enough time.  (I was also told a weeks notice was what i would need to give by another staff member about a month ago when I phoned up for another housing related question.  I dont have any of this in writing.) I have now moved, handed back the keys and I am now being told that I need to give 4 weeks notice which I cannot afford. I hav e spoken to the council again explaining that I was told a week and that to be honest, if I knew they were going to charge me 4 weeks I would not have been able to move and would have stayed in the other house.  I thought I was doing the right thing. They said that calls are recorded and they asked me when I called in and was told a week and they would listen to the telephone conversation and if it was correct what I was told, they would see what they could do to reduce the notice period. They have now emailed me back and said that they have listened to the conversation and the lady said 4 weeks notice and I am liable for 4 weeks rent.  Now I may well of misheard her when I thought she said a full weeks notice she may have said 4 weeks notice but I am sure she said a full weeks notice and i was told a week by another member of staff a few weeks ago. I have emailed her back and said that I may of misheard but I would like to listen to the phone recording myself.  As yet they havent responded. I think its unreasonable for them to make me give 4 weeks when I had to sign the new tenancy with little notice or loose the property.  And it was all done through their gateway, and they will have a tenant in there pretty much straight away getting rent from them. I am on a very low income, I am on my own, I have serious medical issues and I am really getting myself stressed out over this. Any advice would be so appreciated.  Can I insist they let me listed to the recording? RH  
    • Susan Crichton is at the Inquiry today. She seems to have trouble remembering a lot of things but seems to find it easier if it's something that shows her in a good light.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

David Lloyd Gym

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1326 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

This one goes to Swansea@davidlloyd leisure centre

. I was a member at a different leisure complex.

Neath Leisure centre and Aberavon leisure centres,Neath Port Talbot.

The 2nd leisure outlets are i believe council run or buildings rented by said Celtic Leisure

.i had been a paid member for nearly 8 or more years.In the Aberavon Afan Lido is it was called had a fab health suite, with private changing rooms.

But sadly there closing times got earlier and earlier as in 5 pm on Saturdays and 4 pm on Sundays

.Also when the new Aberavon Leisure centre got built it looked great modern but for lack of funding they never had the health suite built to it..The one in Neath is small housing roughly 35 members/visitors at any one time..steam rooms got smaller and sauna well not much bigger..

Reasons i left were purely because there poor closing times on weekends..After all its the leisure industry it should open pretty much 24/7. its how the membership works.Membership monthly £26.50 with passport to leisure.

So i decided i wanted a fresh chapter in my leisure life one that would hopefully exceed the past i know it was a private owned PLC and membership was somewhat more but you should get what you pay for.my original joining fee was i think £58 a month

,I joined in November 2019 As i recall it was a few days before the end of October i went for a trial day..They have an open day for prospective new members to give it a try.

I am by no means the strongest or brain type person to quiz a sales membership guy over my options but actually even i got confused to actually how much i would end up paying depending on the level of my membership. I simply wanted basic joining membership.

There was a slight twist in that although i was a few days off the start of a month this guy did say that if i did not join on that day i may incure a £50 joining fee .

paid a joined,So wish i hadn't.

I found the changing rooms nice,the gym itself was old and tired and slightly set out different to a few years previous i tried it.The pool area had never really changed either,very dated if i am honest..

The steam room wasn't to my required heat level,but having spoken to a few members was told the women wanted the heat less than more,sad i love a good sweat..The sauna was much the same,Also there were issues with the sauna and steam rooms not working 100% correct,but that had been mentioned to members of staff by many members,in one ear and out the other i would say..

So many stories about customers memberships,and those saying about cancellation..it was scary subject like David Lloyd really don't like their customers to leave.ir

Then December came round and people had e-mails from the company saying an increase in membership fees. not even been a member 2 months and already an increase.. Surely there must be a law in place stating a persons rights regarding membership increase within A time frame 3 months minimum..I learned lots about time scales on customer changes.

But to come towards my actual issues,i was told by a membership adviser Kayley Lewis if i went to my doctor i could cancel my membership without issue giving some medical evidence. to which i did.

This lady did not accept my doctors e-mail as i made a slight spelling mistake within my e-mail..id put swansea@davidlloyds,not swansea@david lloyd  But then she never believed it came from my doctor, i had sent my copy of my doctors e-mail..

I have always known my doctor to be a bit strange to allow myself to go to the gyms mentioned he gave me a lecture one day,but actually how does my doctor expect me to go for walks if i actually am unable to walk more than 3 bus lengths..i prefer riding a bike,i cannot walk far and chose my preferred places based on that reason.

Would love to hear your David Lloyd stories and please do add there locations and name and shame.. 

Im finding it hard to understand what issue you have from the big block of text that i've now spaced into paragraphs above?

what is your complaint?

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Dx

i am not sure what you do not understand and have now really confused me.

However David Lloyd made contact with me back in December 2019 regarding membership.

i was upset that i joined DL for that fact my new job would give me more time to spare at this leisure establishment.

My job wasn't happening so i ended up putting myself in roughly £90 quids worth of debt a month.

Which i was already in some debt.

The membership adviser advised i get a letter from my doctor to cancel early. 

Struggling to make ends meet.

The complaint is DL are really making it difficult for me to cancel a 12 month membership..

There maybe that explains it.

i joined November 2019.

But with Covid19 it would not be as practical for someone with my health issues to go there.

all the other info was describing how i come to change gyms ,and to try and draw a picture describing how long i had used the other gym and my reasons for leaving it. 

gyms don't do court

gym debts don't appear on credit files

any DCA they might get to chase you are totally powerless

a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF on ANY debt no matter what its type.

if DL are refusing to cancel you membership, or, as they usually do, state you must give 3mts notice...is WRONG.

the only thing, if you wish, you need to do is once you have informed 'someone' by 'some method' that you wish to cancel..you allow ONE further payment, then cancel the DD and ignore everyone.

i think that answers your issue.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi CourierGuy and welcome to CAG

I see you joined DL in November 2019 but you don't tell us other dates and exchanges.

1. Are you still paying the monthly DD ?

2. What did the last email from the gym say about your need to cancel ?

3. When did you last use the gym ?

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi CAG,(slick132)

1, No cancelled my direct debit.

2,DL knowing i was due to cancel membership still took a payment of £31.50 from 10/08/20,i was told by membership advisor somewhere between 3rd -8th/8/20 as long as i had a medical issue from my doctor they would except an e-mail,given the Covid19 restrictions 

(Normal d/d was always taken on 1st of every month)

3 Only ever used gym once and fell really ill which really wasn't normal for me from my old gym.

I must add i only ever used the bike for a 10 miles bike ride or 16 kms..

My main activity was steam sauna and hot tub, and i tried walking in the swimming pool.

As i don't understand your first line dates and exchanges..?

I want to make it very clear to anyone who reads these messages, never give especially David Lloyd's your own phone number unless your very serious about joining.

.Me and girlfriend lived across the road in London from a Virgin gym, They hassled us with numerous offers as bate catchers..

Luckily for me i had gone back to Wales, so my excuse was "can you stop phoning me i no longer live in London". 

Which i believe afterwards was taken over by DL.

This is my true advise try a trail day.

If you know a friend who goes there ask them if they had a recent e-mail from DL about introduction.

Goes something like this "introduce a friend for a half price 3 month trail"

You save over 50% Also never join close to the end of the year as i learned to my horror my membership was increasing with in 2 months of joining.

David Lloyd's really should have a system in place where new members should get a 12 month package at a flat rate regardless. And if you really want to leave within those 12 months. Your free to do so..Two week notice should be ample.

Your direct debit goes out 1st of every month so around the 12th of the month a cancellation letter and you wont be charged on the following month..

Really hope that helps people..and or people agree with my comments love to read others reviews on how you were actually treated.. 

Hi CG,

Dates and exchanges ? - I was looking for info about what was said between you and the gym (exchanges) and the dates this happened.

In any event, you've cancelled the DD and we'll see if the gym continues to make demands.

The advice you offer is flawed in several ways - e.g. suggesting you give just 2 week's notice as that should be ample. This is wrong.

Also, the time of the year you join is not so important - if the gym raises it's monthly fee, you have the option to cancel and not pay the increased fee.

People wil find plenty of good advice about respective gyms on the threads in this sub-forum.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

The dates it took part in ranged from around the 7th - 15th of August.

the e-mails from David Lloyd's, was saying if i provided a doctors reasons why i as his patient should not be fit for the gym use of pool,sauna ect. in regards to Covid19. (Need paper from doctor, to cancel gym membership)

I did do this but i wrote the correct e-mail address ([email protected]) but on input of it sent to mydoctor,([email protected])

This was to go to Membership advisor

.Because i made a 1 letter spelling error S on this occasion..

And they had not received it from my doctor But i requested a copy that he would send them .

used that to send them.

They did not except and thought it was from me not my doctor.

.i was trying to send my doctors one but file is to large..

They Have to be honest, sent me an e-mail asking me to re-join as a platinum  member dated 04/09/2020 at 14.51pm 

Hi CG<

I assume you're not going to take up their offer to re-join.

Keep us posted ...........

15 hours ago, slick132 said:

Hi CG<

I assume you're not going to take up their offer to re-join.

Keep us posted ...........

There platinum membership is more than my original cost i don't have children.So why would i want to waste more money on a plc such as there's when you possibly cannot have full standard normal use.

I do believe there are far better DL clubs out of Wales,which sadly i never got to explore.And given this vast leisure times people seem to have why is it these sites are not brought up to date i guess its lack of membership within the private sector and the drain on company resources.

I's like to clarify something i did here in one or more e-mails that because our direct debits had been frozen.The general staff never got wages.In my eyes that shows just how bad the company see there staff but also the big chief lives like a king..Wrong really..he should be a team player too..