Appearing in court for using Zip Card. 149 offences

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1336 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've been summoned into court next month for getting caught using my younger sisters oyster card.

But they also analysed her card and saw that ive used it 149 times other than that.

I'm only being chargerd with the one offence and am having to pay fines and i can chose to plead guilty or not guilty. 

HOWEVER the letter states

"The schedule gives particulars of 149 offences, which we suspect you of committing but have not been charged with.

If you plead guilty in person and are found guilty of any offences with which you have been charged you can, before any sentence is passed, admit all or any of the matters in the attached schedule and ask the court to take them into considerations.

This in turn will result in not being subsequently charged with any of these matters"

I have heard that you can write a letter to try to settle out of court but who do i send the letter to as there is no contact on the summons letter?

you sign the list of TIC's and plead guilty to the one specimen offence you are charged for, stating you wish to appear in person to show your genuine remorse for the error of your ways.

is this a single justice procedure hearing and when?  

have you evidence that since the offence you have paid for tickets etc ?

148 uses is a heavty weight so you are lucky they aren't after all of them.

there are a few threads here of multiple use cases already have a read of those.

did you not reply to the original TfL letter asking for you side of the story and plead remorse then?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

1 hour ago, honeybee13 said:

That sounds like their appeals people, yes.

If you want to show us what you're proposing to send, we can help you to refine it.

Did you really misuse the card 149 times?

HB

Okay thank you for your help

and yes I was consistently using her zip card for about 3 months in hindsight it really wasn’t worth all this hassle.

So it’s a hearing and it will be on September 5th.

if I don’t plead guilty to the other 149 offences I will be further prosecuted for them desperately but if I do they will only charge me for the one time I was caught so the smart decision for me right now is to plead guilty unless I can somehow manage to settle this out of court.

I replied to the original letter with a very short statement that wasn’t exactly expressing remorse as I did not think all this would lead to being dealt in court I thought I would just pay a fine and be done with it. I now realise I should’ve takes more time with the original letter and perhaps it wouldn’t of led to a court situation

They can't 100% prove the other times were you.

You plead guilty regardless to if/not you get latterly an OOC .

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

2 hours ago, ashbelushi said:

if I don’t plead guilty to the other 149 offences I will be further prosecuted for them

You are not being asked to plead guilty to them. You are asked if you agree to them being "Taken into Consideration" which is entirely different. I doubt very much that they will offer an out-of court settlement for 149 instances of misuse, but it's always worth asking.

Just to clarify, when you say you have been "summoned into court", have you received a summons or a Single Justice Procedure Notice? You cannot attend a Single Justice hearing. I don't really know what you are asking here. I should have thought the time to discuss an out-of-court settlement was a coupe of months ago when TfL corresponded with you.

You might also want to express remorse to your sister as you expose her to a risk of action as well if they feel that she knew what was going on.

I'm not sure what a single justice notice is but all i know is ive recieved a letter stating" You are required to appear on saturday 5th september at 11 am before X magistartes court to answer the following charge" 

Also this is the letter I drafted please offer any constructive crticism it would be much appreciated!

To whom it may concern,

I am writing this letter in response to the requisition I received to appear in Wimbledon Magistrates Court, in regards to my case X. I would like to start by apologising for my defiant actions against TFL. 

TFL runs the day-to-day operation of the Capital's public transport network and manages London's main roads. Millions of Londoners must pay for their travel daily and I selfishly have tried to evade payment. I now realise I have ignorantly tried to abuse the public transport system which undermines the jobs of those at TFL and all that are affiliated.

Me being 19 years of age has acted childishly in attempts to save money in this foolish way. This situation has been a destabilizing experience for me and has put reality into perspective for me as I now realise the effects my actions will be having on my future prospects. In hindsight I should have been more liable to my responsibilities as a law abiding British citizen. Since then I have begun paying my fares as I should have done and also made use of my bicycle more often as a responsible way to save on travel costs.

I would like to humbly ask if this matter could be handled out of court with me willing to pay any unpaid fares or other appropriate costs which will help settle this matter in the least damaging way. I acknowledge my wrongdoings and can promise to strive to rectify my past mistakes and overcome them. I have taken this experience as a life lesson and will hope that you consider my proposition, I appreciate the time taken to read this.

Kind regards,

X

dx

and they

• 2 weeks later...

HOWS THIS GOING?

DX

and they