Access to garage blocked by a bear

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I rent a garage from a large Housing Association in London, and I have for many years.

The garage  is in a cul-de-sac with few others, and the entrance is through a small path between two houses.

I live in a different area and I use it for storage.

A few months ago  I found a pillar bar installed at the beginning of the path.

I contacted the landlord, thinking that they had installed the bar, to get a copy of the key. 

In fact, I tried unsuccessfully to contact the responsible area manager for nearly a month, with countless phone calls and messages left with the receptionist, but was never called back. 

In the meantime I found out that the bar wasn't installed by the landlord but by another garage renter, who then asked a hefty fee for a copy of the key from myself and apparently everybody else.  I was totally enraged by the request which bordered extortion, but in the end I had to fork out as the landlord never ever got back to me and I needed to access the storage.

The lock of the bar is now broken, and I am dreading having to pay again for a replacement in order to access the garage where my belongings are.

To challenge the individual is not an option.

He was very confrontational, and I don;t want to feel intimidated when accessing the garage.

How can I make the landlord take notice and remove the bar?

I feel the landlord is responsible for ensuring that the access is open, but my messages always stop with the receptionist. 

Thank you

Cris

what rights of access do you have on your agreement with the landlord?

i suspect you shouldn't have to pay a thing.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Is this a lock up in a block behind houses, and the path is just wide enough vor vehicles to access. ?  If the HA could be bothered they should be the initial contasct as per DX, its up to them to tolchock tne other renter if there is no permission to restrict access.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

As you are the renter of the garage, you have a direct right to sue the person who erected the bar in the tort of nuisance.

Very straightforward and you can do it as a small claim by suing for the return of your money and a small amount of damages - say £100.

We can help you.

Get together with the other people affected and do it together.

Normally you would want an order from the court that he stops the nuisance.  This would be a more complicated procedure - but if you win your small claim action is is scarcely imaginable that he will continue.

Nuisance is the wrongful interference with the enjoyment of land and as long as you have a legitimate interest in the land then any interference with that could be a nuisance.

You are renter and he has interfered with your access to it

The HA might be jointly liable with the other renter, if they have not done anything and allowed the interference to continue.  As BF indicates talk to others affected, and go after t him as a group, and involve the HA as they are also remiss permitting the interference.

Just an aside, wonder if the HA would like people to vacate and end their garage tenacy as they have other ideas for the land.  I know of HA's in wales that wanted top demolish and use the land for building living units as income barely sufficient to maintain the garages.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• BankFodder changed the title to Access to garage blocked by a bear