• Tweets

• Public backs debt enforcement to support vital public services - survey | CIVEA View the full article
    • Well the fact that he is doing this suggests that he has a certain awareness of his responsibility – but I really don't know what to advise. We know what your rights are – which is that he should give you a full refund. On the other hand, maybe this is the best you are going to get without court action. As he is prepared to make this gesture, maybe he is prepared to listen to reason and give you your money back – or most of it. Maybe you could offer him a deal that he takes the car back and returns thousand pounds to you – you might then eventually settle for £800 or £900 – which of course leaves you out of pocket but at least you would have escaped the problem. Given the risk of the problem of enforcement, maybe that could be a way to go. It's so difficult to know what to make of it. Maybe he feels vulnerable to the risk of a legal action against him. Maybe he doesn't understand the procedure and you could tell him that you will send the bailiffs to his home if he pushes it that way – but on the other hand maybe that will simply get his backup and you will lose the tiny shred of goodwill. I'm sorry, I still don't know what to say. I think we've explained the law to you and we try to outline the risks – but I think it's time now that you need to make your own decisions based on your own judgement. I don't envy you  
    • Hi guys, I'm not sure what happened to my last post about a court date, but I received the letter of small claims, where it stated the claimant has 28 days to pay the court fees, and after which each party has 14 days to send all of the parties copies of any documents they wish to rely on   Last week I received another form from the courts, remote hearing 13th October. So I have a few days to submit my documents. However the new letter is unclear as to whether this is now 48 hours or still 14 days. i will call the courts to give my number as adbvised in the letter   ive attached the letter with personal details removed each party liaise with each other to share their bundle?   Are there any examples of a defence bundle? ive found this case on here whiich seems similar   im presuming my bundle should include my defence documents, in the above link DX100Uk refers to a statement, anything else as it states at the hearing they may not have access to the court file?   My next  steps were: - call court to give telephone - wait to see if the court fee has been paid - is there a way to do this, just call the courts? deadline would have passed by now? - prepare bundle, not 100% sure of this but will start to compile what i have - await the other party bundle - hearing date    
    • (Moved to the Private Land Parking Enforcement forum).   The fact you're in Scotland definitely helps.  In England due to the POFA 2012 they can, under certain circumstances, peruse the keeper of the vehicle.  In Scotland they can only go after the driver - and they don't know who that is! 
    • Hi all,   I just wanted to give you an update and ask for further advice.   The car has been taken to a local garage today and we have been sent a video (just a close up of the engine with the broken pipe) of the suspected issue which they have said is an air flow pipe which has broken. He said it wasn’t broken when the car was sold to us and so he will buy the part & we pay for the labour.   We really feel that he should pay for this entirely, I also don’t want to set a precedent by paying for the labour if things deteriorate further with this car.  He also hasn’t stated how much the labour is, something we will ask when we respond to his message.   How do you think we should proceed?  I don’t want to take the wrong approach now.
  • Our picks

• @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 4 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help

I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later

I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute

I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today

I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.

I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .

I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !

I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !

i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Fixed Penalty Notice - urinating in a park - incorrect name

Hello everyone.

I hope that all is well.

I know of a friend who received an FPN for urinating in a park area who, despite me constantly reminding him, has not paid the fine as of yet. 

When I looked at the actual ticket, he was given 14 days to pay the £150 fine...and if paid within 10 days, it would have been reduced to  £100. 

He has gone beyond both 10 and 14 days..and has since received a reminder notice last week giving him an additional 7 days to make payment, which he has still not adhered to either., so will he receive a summons at this point?

Also, when he was issued the fine, he did not give his accurate name. 

On the ticket, his first name is actually his middle name...and his last name on the ticket is his real first name.

For example, using an illustration, if his name was John Andrew Doe, on the ticket it appears as Andrew John, with no mention of Doe, as his real last name.

If he receives a court summons, will this also be an added concern, when he attends the hearing?

Thanks in advance for your response.

who gave him the FPN?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s -  would collapse overnight.

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs - that's why they will never tell you they are not bailiffs and have absolutely zero legal powers on any debt.

Hi dx100uk,

I think I remember him telling me that she was an Environmental Officer that was patrolling the park...

• Andyorch changed the title to Fixed Penalty Notice - urinating in a park - incorrect name

Good afternoon.

Just checking for feedback to my last response, please.

Thank you in advance.

Hi.

I've chosen a council website at random, this tells you what happens if the FPN isn't paid.

https://www.woking.gov.uk/environmental-services/fixed-penalty-notices-fpns

I'm not a legal expert but I would think not having the exact name may not be a barrier to prosecuting your friend.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi honeybee13,

Thanks for the feedback.  I have forwarded that link to him, for further reference.

In regards to this part:  '' Please note that it is an offence to fail to give your name or give a false address to an authorised officer when asked and you could be prosecuted for failing to give these details.'' ....only his first and middle names were given as 'first and last' names...while his actual surname was not given at all, so would that be handled as a separate issue to prosecute...or would that all fall within the attempt to prosecute based on a failure to pay the FPN?

Thanks in advance for your response.

• 1 month later...

Hi. A bit late, but I used to be an Environmental Protection Officer and enforced such issues. 

Several things, 1,giving the incorrect name but the correct address is just plain dumb! If you are going to lie, then lie properly. 

Secondly, there are several offences at play your friend could be guilty of, from defacing property through to public exposure. 

Third, if the council are worth their salt, they will interview your friends family under caution in order to identify him, s108 of the Environment Act allows an authority to require that a person incriminate someone in their enquiries or face prosecution. Themself. 

Tell your friend to pay the upper limit, I guarantee you if they haven't begun legal proceedings and served a summons, then they will accept the money. If they prosecute they get none. If they fine, then they keep the money. 

Lastly, tell your friend to piss somewhere more discrete next time.