Jump to content

Child support agency help reqd

Guest Partypip

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5655 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Guest Partypip

Hope someone can help.


The csa have decided that my brother should pay £198 per month to his ex, through them, for child maintenance. This was decided in May. Mum was on benefits then.


my brother explained they have a private agreement and that he pays her £100 per month.


In June Mum got a full time job


CSA have now decided that my brother owes £1600, and have this month deducted £480 from his wages. They say they will do the same again in december and January's wages.


My brother has asked for a breakdown of the debt, and they say they cant give him one


Although they have left him with 60% of his wages, the amount he is left with covers his mortgage and leaves him with £150.00 for the month. This £150 has to cover £60 a week petrol, electric, council tax, gas, water, and food, never mind trying to cover luxury's such as gym membership, telephone, nights out etc.


Ive looked on Citizens advice website, and csa website, but cant find help.


Does anyone know what he can do.


He has been paying, but directly to his ex. £100.00 per month, he paid for his son's holiday in August £400.00, and spent another £200 on clothes


Thanks in anticipation

Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked for CSA for 6 months so can tell you how it works but it is not necessarily my view on what is right.


Firstly they can and should give a breakdown of charges if asked so your brother should ask again. Also if your brother can prove he has been paying the £100 per month maintenance since May that should be taken off of the arrears owed.

The fact that he paid for his son's holiday and clothes is not taken into consideration, so its up to him if he pays any 'extras' for his son.

It does not matter if Mum is working or not, the amount your brother has to pay is the same.

If your Brother is genuinely only left with £150 per month after his mortgage is paid he needs to appeal the amount he pays. The letter he got stating how much he has to pay per week should have said how they worked it out. Has he told them about his mortgage. My son was in the same position a few months ago and the CSA had him as living with family, when he appealed and proved he was renting privately the assessment was reduced. Still not right though, they assessed him on what he was earning in the summer (lots of overtime), now winter and on basic pay he earns quite a lot less.

The CSA do not allow for utility bills such as gas, electric, water, phone etc, your brother should have enough left to be able to pay all these. Mum has to pay them as well.


If its any consolation I would say the initial assessment is wrong 80% of the time (unless its changed in the last 2 years)

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...