Used car issues

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1349 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

New to the forum, so please feel free to move the topic if needed.

I need a little help with a used car:

I bought an 04 BMW from a dealer about 2.5 weeks ago. It cost £1,600. I gave it a test drive and it seemed pretty decent so paid via bank transfer and took it home. The issue started when I took it on a national speed limit road as the car started to sway on the road. I reported this to the dealer and he agreed to fix the issue. He took it to his mechanic who informed him that it was the drivers side hub. They didn't have time to fit it so gave me the part and the option to use a local mechanic. The mechanic agreed it would be causing the sway, charged me £80, which the dealer refunded to me. 
The car was improved but we went on a short break over the last few days and I drove the car about 35 miles away. The issue now is there is a rumbling sound, noticeable on motorways and it doesn't feel particularly safe, especially over deviations in the road. As the swaying was the main issue I can't say if that rumbling was there to begin with.

The dealer has been fair to me so far in refunding me the money but he did admit he only test drove the car and it wasn't checked over fully when I took it back the first time. My mechanic said the play on hub was so bad it should never have been sold in that condition. I have messaged the dealer this evening explaining the issue but he has been a bit defensive saying the car does not have a warranty and he has already spent money on repairing it. He will need to speak to his manager and get back to me.

To be fair to him he has attempted to repair it but for me he should never have sold it without it being mechanically checked over. 

What do people make of this? What are my options if he won't budge and I need to take it further. I would like a refund rather than another repair as I feel I have been pretty patient so far. At the moment I have a car that isn't safe and I can't afford to take a £1,600 hit in my pocket.

Many thanks,

Mark.

Edited by Mazzone10

This is a tricky one, BMW's , wide wheels, low profile tyres, stiff suspension over deviations, German Cars are known for that.  It might have winter tyres on, that would cause a rumble. My Volvo is also very weird like that.  It could also be a wheel bearing, which isn't expensive but would need to be done. Why not take it to your mechanic for a an inspection, or the AA/ RAC also do that.  I've learnt the hard way that's what you need to do before you buy the car, 

What BMW is it?  I would only buy this brand of car at that age if it had a full history of every service and everything that has been spent on it during it's lifetime.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have the money to get the repairs or inspections done to be honest. 

It's a BMW 1 series.

I've learnt my lesson.

I was having a pretty hard time with my health to be honest at the time.

I bought it as a present to myself but was too trusting. 

Within the first 30-days under the consumer rights act you have the right to reject your defective vehicle and to insist on a full refund.

I suggest that you do that. You need to write them a letter make sure that it is delivered by recorded delivery and asserting your rights to reject the vehicle under the Consumer rights act.

Even if you don't eventually want to do that, sending the letter now will reserve your rights so that you can enforce them later if necessary.

One thing you should not do is accept some money in lieu of the problems because that then will amount to you having sold your rights.

Send the letter immediately and we will take you onto the next step.

it really sounds to me as if you have bought yourself a load of problem. It is a good thing that you are reacting early on in this purchase. This means that you can use the available statutory rights to your best advantage.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

I will draft a letter this evening.

They keep mentioning the fact the car was sold without a warranty but what I've read that seems irrelevant.

Why do these car dealers play dumb when it comes to the rights of the customer?

Surely they must be aware of them?

What I am worried about is they have ticked a box on the sale sheet saying "No warranty taken by the customer, it is understood this is sold on a spares or repairs basis'.

I paid market value for the car and this wasn't on the original advert.

I must have missed them ticking this when I transferred the money.

doesnt matter.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Who would I address the letter to?

The website says "Canalside Motors' as does the invoice. I have just checked and there is a Limited Company operating from the premises called 'Perry Barr Motors'. I do not have the individuals name.

I've seen this on those bailiff shows where they will try and wiggle their way out of paying by using different operating names.

Thanks. 

Hi all,

Sorry to duplicate/bump a post.

I need to get my rejection letter out in the next few days but need to know who to address it to.

The dealer on Autotrader is listed as Cansalside Motors and on their website. I have searched their address in Google and a Limited company comes up as 'Perry Barr Motors Ltd'. I was told there are two different businesses operating from the same premises by the dealer, I'm not entirely convinced of this though.

There is no business name on the receipt he gave me.

I do not know the individuals name. Nor will he give it me.

If anyone could help on this I would be grateful.

Many thanks,

Mark.

Hi.

I've merged your old and new threads, please don't start new ones about the same issue. I've also amended the title a bit.

Do you have an invoice from the company from when you bought the car? It may show other trading names.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• honeybee13 changed the title to Used car issues

Right, I can see that Canal Side Motors are at the same address, but I haven't found them on the Companies House site so far. Perry Barr Motors has one director, Muhammad Saqib. They don't have any other directorships listed for him. You can see that if you click on the blue tab People on the page I linked to.

As you say, Canal Side are on Autotrader and most of the reviews are good.

6 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

This is the thing. I don't know. I was told there were two traders at the premises. They trade as Canalside Motors but could be under that Limited Company. 

Their website doesn't list the Limited Company.

Thanks

Mark.

Other people will advise on what to do about the two companies, one address issues. It's worth digging around the internet to see if anyone has posted more information about the company.

Being picky, I see it's written Canal Side as two words. It sometimes affects searches. Google doesn't have any reviews for it so far.

HB

Canalside or Canal Side please? So that was definitely the name on the account you sent the money to? Were you encouraged to use a bank transfer in preference to other ways to pay, or was it your decision?

Sorry about all the questions.

I've flagged your thread to the site team so that people with more experience of this than me can have a look.

HB

I've just checked my bank and the account was CSM Motors. That's the name I was given.

I was told to use a bank transfer or cash as he did not have any other method of taking payment.

PS thanks for your help.