Anytime Fitness - Refusing to Cancel the Membership

InvinMaddy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1320 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have read through few of the similar posts here but my scenario seems a bit different.

I signed for a 12 month contract which is supposed to expire by July 2020.

I was initially told by the staff that I cancel anytime during this one year

also but I dont have any proof for that as the staff who told me is not around now.

During March the club suddenly closed because of COVID.

I was not informed about the closure.

I sent them an email asking the details and they said that the club membership is suspended until further notice and If I wish I can cancel the contract as well.

I opted for cancellation and told them that they can charge me during April as well and cancel my membership. I have emails to prove this.

They did not charge me in April and I did not get any further emails.

In June, I again sent them another email asking whether my membership has been cancelled.

The reply was the same :

Memberships are on hold and will continue after the clubs are open again.

I sent them past emails and asked them to cancel.

The reply was that they cannot process and asked me to contact them when the club opens.

Now, I was charged during August through my direct Debit.

Actually my contract is supposed to end by July and they did not send any new contract.

I checked their website and it says the club is temporarily closed.

I sent an email again to enquire whether the club is open and whether they can process my cancellation request.

I dont get any reply for 5 days.

I contacted their facebook page and after a couple of days I get a new email from the local club saying that "They are open since last friday and my contract will end in Sept 15th 2020". I asked them to cancel as I have already given notice and the reply is that

"They cannot process any cancellation requests now and can only freeze them"

So, My concern here is

what are my options?

I know that DCAs are not BAILIFFs but I live with my family and do not want some scene created at my apartment infront of others.

What are the best possible ways to get the contract cancelled without any problems.

I have all the emails with me so I can attach them or the agreement copy as well.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

you have cancelled

they have their 1mts notice payment too.

cancel the DD and simply ignore everyone.

dx

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Invin and welcome to CAG

Contact your bank and tell them the DD should not have been taken and you need it refunded under the DD Guarantee Scheme.

Stop contacting the gym as this will get you nowhere. If the DD is managed by Harlands, no doubt they'll contact you with demands, followed by CRS who are Harlands in disguise.

Trust us when we say there will be no problems  where you live.

You've done all you need to cancel so stop making further attempts.

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Ok, just cancel the DD mandate via your bank.

The gym or their admin Co will complain and tell you you owe increasing amounts of money but come here first before making any response.

There are no consequences you should worry about. Empty threats !!

Read other threads here about Harlands and their methods pre-lockdown.

• Thanks 1

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

a refund would not serve as notice of payment.

and dca's are totally powerless

never heard of a doorstep visit for a gym debt anyway..

• Thanks 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

yes online.

dx

and they

Update:

I simply wrote this mail to the club and cancelled my Direct Debit. I am not planning to reply to any of their emails from now on. Lets wait and see.

Dear Sir/Madam

This is with reference to our earlier conversations ranging from March to June 2020.

I have given Notices to cancel my membership in the months of March and June as well. Now that my contract is over as per the attached agreement, you are not supposed to take any payments in the month of August as the Gym status is still "Temporarily Closed" in your website.

Anyway, I conclude that the payment was taken as a Notice Period charge which I have no problem with.

I have cancelled my direct debit now and we do not owe anything to each other.

Thanks for the services provided.

Thank you

Cheers

Noted.

Have you told your bank to cancel the DD mandate yet.

Hi Invin,

Excellent that you've cancelled.

Can I suggest you don't make further contact with the gym, Harlands or CRS any you've updated us and received advice.

Latest Update:

1. I got a text message yesterday saying that "Hi, We have received a notification that you do not have an active direct debit at Anytime Fitness Manchester Piccadilly. Please reinstate this by clicking here.. somelink.. Thank you"

I did not click on the link. Simply ignored the message. Got the same message for my wife as well reg her membership.

2. Got an email today from the club with the subject "Long Term Club Reopening". The contents say that the club has reopened now and I can go and workout. It does not say anything about membership. I just ignored it as well.

Thanks

Hi Invin,

Correct to ognore for now.

Keep us posted.