Currys/Dixons insurance

Its WAR
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1327 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My uncle has gone into care and I am trying to tidy up some of his finances.

He has been a loyal customer of Currys and has  bought dozens of electrical items over many decades from them.

Mostly, cameras, camcorders , laptops etc.  

He has always bought (been sold) the upgraded insurance for every item.

I have found half a dozen policies going back 12 years, ranging from £2.99 a month to £8.50 a month.

All being recurring direct debits.

It seems wrong that a company should continue to accept monthly payments for such historical purchases, especially where these premiums have now totalled 3 times the cost of the purchases.

Is there anything I can do (apart from cancelling the policies)?

Its WAR

yes you can.

i would suggest you have a very good case to reclaim every payment on every policy say passed the 2yrs time frame from purchase.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This is encouraging. But the policies were insuring for 'whatever happens' in the event of breakdown after the manufacturers guarantee expires. I am not sure that's the same as paying for an extended warranty which has expired, but premiums still being paid. Or am I missing something?

Its WAR

conned from day one....

warranties be them from the manu or a guarantee (samething) are totally worthless and dont over ride your consumer rights under sale of goods act (now CRA) . so any extra after this 'runsout' is pointless and i bet he paid them from purchase anyway so why? if warranty is still current?

as said you have a very good case to argue (if what you say above is true?( that ALL payments should be returned then..

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It looks like he bought extended warranties as one premium, plus after care policies payable by monthly direct debits.

All add on selling at the point of sale by over zealous sales staff.

Then after a few years, he fancies a new camcorder or laptop and buys new ones, whilst still paying the monthly DDs for the free extended service insurances on the old products.

He doesn't think to cancel the old policies.

He has been paying out over £30 month for these policies for over a decade.

One item looks damaged (so he bought a new one), but didn't claim for the repair or cancel he policy.

It looks like he forced out a picture card with a screwdriver, so it was probably excluded anyway through mis-use. 

I doubt Currys will want to reimburse around £2500 in premiums without a fight.

Its WAR

you go to his bank and do a DD guarantee reclaim as i said.

and they

I will certainly be dealing with it via the DD guarantee.

Although I can understand how the guarantee works for stopping a DD and or having a refund for one or two months payment that should not have been taken, I don't understand how the bank can refund say 6 years worth of payments (or 12 years worth).

Surely the retailer, Sky or BT would claim a contract was in place and therefore be able to defend it? 

In the case of my uncles BT direct debit £87 a month of which £44 was super fast fibre broadband (which he hasn't used), the amount would be £5,000. I can't see this being refunded on just one letter to the bank.

How does it work for historical issues accumulating to such a sum?

Its WAR

If currys or any company breaches the DD guarantee and there is evidence of this,  then the Bank may be willing to refund amounts for a period of time.  Not sure how far they can go back. I thought it was limited to 12 months, but this is from memory only.   Something to do with restrictions on the Banks systems to reject a debit entry.  The Banks have to comply with rules set by the organisation that supervises the Direct Debit system.  This is the website with info and contact details.  They will know the period where a DD refund can be offered by Banks

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/FAQs/Pages/FAQ.aspx

The issue needs to be registered as a complaint with the retailer and if the Bank do refund amounts, they should therefore understand reasons for this.  The retailer will have to respond to the complaint using their complaints processes, which may include referral to an independent adjudicator. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

i've known 10yrs of DD's to be refunded.

the company must prove a valid contract for the period.

no proof the DD's all get refunded

dx

and they