Safety Recall Notification - Faulty Airbag

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I received a safety recall notification for my Mazda 2's (62 reg) passenger airbag. The car has been with me since new. I'm of course very disappointed because it means I need to take it to the local official Mazda garage which I dislike very much. (They're overpriced and rude). The garage didn't have any slots until 3 weeks from now, and they told me (rudely as they always do) because it's a safety recall they don't offer free pickup. Anyway the following questions are popping in my head:

1. Am I entitled to claiming compensation for the taxi back and to the garage. (I'm probably going to walk mind. It is however a solid 45mn walk)
  2. Any other form of reasonable material compensation for making me waste 2 hours of my day?
  3. Any moral compensation? I mean not only I have just found out I have driven a car with airbag that may not deploy for 8 years, but also the letter from Mazda's customer service director started with "Over time we occasionally identify issues that could negatively impact your driving pleasure and we take action to remedy this." which is quite frankly poor form, downright offensive in its use of euphemism.

I'm of course not expecting anything, but it doesn't hurt to contemplate it. I think it's a valid form of venting.

Thank you in advance for your opinions 😎

They sound like a crap garage so when you get your next car don't buy a Mazda (or at least don't buy from them).  Have you ever complained to Mazda UK (or whatever they are) about the standard of customer service this local dealer provides?  (Dealers can lose marque dealerships so it's always worth complaining).*

I don't see why it being a safety recall means they won't offer a free pick-up?  Seems all the more reason to me to do it for free.  All the dealers I have used have always offered a free pick-up for any recall.

1.  You can always ask for a taxi fare - they'll probably say no, especially if you can't produce a receipt.  I doubt you are legally entitled to anything.

2.  You can always try billing them for your time off work at your wage/salary rate or litigant in person rate, but I think they will rudely tell you to go away.  Again, I doubt you are legally entitled to anything.

3.  No - you haven't suffered any loss.  In fact, I presume you've only just found out there's been an issue.  I had the car I'd been driving around for nine years written off in an accident where the air-bags didn't deploy when they should have done.  I suffered no injury and never thought of asking for compensation.  [EDIT:  You've not even had to find out if fit works or not]

You may not be entitled to anything legally on any of these grounds, but if you ask nicely you may get a goodwill gesture.  If you get nowhere with the dealer, try Mazda UK, but I think you'll be wasting your time.

*Interestingly our local Mazda dealer seem very good.  In fact, on the last two occasions we've bought a car, we would have bought from them on customer service grounds if we hadn't found more attractive cars elsewhere.  Seriously, complain to Mazda UK about the standard of customer service they provide.

Edited by Manxman in exile

Thank you Manxman, appreciate the thorough response.

If my only choice is to depend on the garage's goodwill I might as well give up now :D I stopped doing my services there a few years back after they yelled at me for not understanding the difference between aircon service and aircon regas. And for the same level of service they were charging £250 compared to £120 at formula one , who as a sidenote also aren't rude.

Will definitely consider writing a complaint to Mazda Motors UK. The prospect of having them lose points sounds great! Will also think about driving 40 miles to the next official garage, especially if they can fit me in sooner. I do hope to continue driving Mazdas because they are pleasant to drive and extremely reliable.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with an accident. Glad it turned out for the better.

Complain to Mazda UK.  Tell them you've got the safety recall and you don't want to use Mazda Crap Dealer for the work but your nearest alternative is 40 miles away.  Ask what they suggest you do...

Of course, as you've already got it booked in etc you probably don't want to mess about with it, and it is a safety recall so needs attention.  And your old dealer might not be happy with you - but can they be any worse?  Think about it.  You could just complain and see how they treat you in 3 weeks time when you bring it in...

But I like being awkward... and it can have it's downside...

There are loads of Mazda Dealers. Find one in a nearby town which you would like to visit (The town not the Dealer).

Book it in and whilst they replace the airbag, go for a relaxing walk, stop for coffee etc. Browse the shops (with a mask).

Never seen anyone call a recall notice 'Offensive' before, you need to calm down.

H

Edited by Hammy1962

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Never had someone tell me to calm down before for a bit of hyperbole, and I find it a good response to euphemism.

"Your passenger airbag not triggering may negatively impact your driving pleasure". Honestly who comes up with stuff like this 🤣