Expedia & Vueling Refunds into Thomas Cook Account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1326 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Writing on behalf of my parents who aren't on the internet.

They booked a holiday through a Thomas Cook high street agent in 2019 for May 2020.

When Thomas Cook went out of business their holiday wasn't cancelled because it had actually been booked with Expedia and Vueling Airlines.

When coronavirus stopped all holidays, Vueling cancelled the flights.

My parents contacted Expedia (by phone) about a refund and I received an email on their behalf saying the refund had been made for the hotel into the Thomas Cook account that had paid for it.

My parents contacted Vueling (by phone) about a refund and were told to make a claim on the website, which I did for them.

The website then said the refund was being processed.

Now the website says to contact the travel agent.

I assume the flights refund has probably been made to the Thomas Cook account as well.

If the refunds have been paid back to Thomas Cook, which obviously doesn't exist any more, how are my parents going to get their money back?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

The question has been asked multiple times on this forum already, but unfortunately has not been answered yet.

First question is: how did your parents pay for this? 

If they paid via credit card they can do a section75 claim to get their money back.

If they paid via debit card or bank transfer, they have learned the hard way that you should never pay for a trip via debit card or bank transfer.

Second question is why leave it so late to complain? 

This will make things harder.

This question is purely here for judgemental effect and is of absolutely no help to you, but hopefully will serve to warn others.

A bit of googling suggests that you should be able to contact the CAA to claim for a refund. You will probably need all sort of supporting evidence including the emails/letters you received from Expedia or a recording of the telephone calls.

Good luck to your parents. Please let us know if you try the procedure below and how it worked out for you.

This will help other unfortunate Thomas Cook customers in the same situation.

I've not had a refund – what should I do?

The CAA insists it wants to issue refunds "as soon as possible".

It says if you haven't heard anything about your refund by the end of today, you should check your junk and spam folder to see if you've been asked for any additional information to support your claim.

If you're really stuck, you can contact the CAA on 0300 303 2800 or on [email protected].

Ahh yup, the above will only work if the package sold to your parents was ATOL protected - which you would expect a AAA company such as Thomas Cook to sell by default.

You may need supporting evidence such as original receipts / travel confirmation, to show that the holiday is guaranteed ATOL protected.

Good luck again!

if they used a debit card don't forget chargeback

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

To answer Kyosanto -

They paid by debit card this time unfortunately, usually they pay by credit card :(

Expedia and Vuelling have only just paid the refunds, bringing to light the fact that it went to the Thomas Cook account not my parents as they were expecting.

Isn't the CAA/ATOL refund you mentioned for those claiming for a Thomas Cook holiday when TC went under. This doesn't apply to my parents holiday, it was going ahead until coronavirus.

To answer dx100uk -

They did pay by debit card but chargeback has to be claimed within 120 days, so too late :(

no its not too late.

its a total of 540 days from payment.

the 120 days only starts to count when you realise there is a problem.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...