CrispDust's OH v Halipox

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5429 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My OH has just been stung for £210 over 3 days for exceeding her OD limit (despite fact that known funds would be in account day later)

We wrote to local manager asking for refund.

Reply was comical, Ill post transcript otmmorrow - too tired today.

SAR submitted to local branch. Smile wiped of desk lady when I asked for a receipt and she asked what it was.

40 days to go....

Transcript of letter from bank manager:

Dear Mrs CrispDust,

I refer to your recent letter and have taken into account your comments regarding the charges you have incurred on your account.

However as the charges aren't due to an error on the Halifax's part (she never said they were) I am unable to agree to any refunds.

Like other organisations, Halifax incurs additional costs when and item is returned unpaid, or is paid against an unauthorised overdraft. Rather than pass these costs on to unaffected accounts, charges are applied only to the account concerned, so we do not PENALISE (admission?) all of our customers. These charges only partially cover the costs we incur (!!!!) and compare favourably to our competitiors.

Blah bla complaints system etc

I hope this is now resolved blah blah.

Charges referred to in T&Cs etc blah blah.

I appreciate this isn't perhaps the outcome you were hoping for.

Too damn right it wasn't the outcome hoped for! I hope to be able to use the same phrase when we receive a refund after prelim, LBA MCOL etc :)

We have written a reply requesting him to expand on the "partially cover costs". Can't wait for the reply. watch em squirm....

Thats hilarious, he seems to be saying he's doing us all a favour by only charging us the £39 etc. I could do without favours like that personally.

Good Luck

TezViper

TezViper

I give advice not as an expert on law, only as a guy who succesfully claimed back £3385 from The Halifax. Followed by another £2611.

Lloyds TSB settled in full before hearing

Cap One offered full settlement and default removed.

If I help in any way then please donate to the site when you are succesful

Copy of letter sent to local noddy branch manager:

Dear Mr Noddy, (not his real name)

Thank you for your prompt reply explaining the rationale behind the punitive charges made by Halifax.

I note with particular interest your comment:

“These charges only partially cover the costs we incur and compare favourably…..”

I would be most grateful if you could provide a detailed breakdown and itemised costing for the charges incurred in making 3 items that are paid against an unauthorised overdraft, on the same day and at the same time.

Given that you are confident that these charges are justified and that they are comparable to your competitors, they cannot be regarded as commercially sensitive information. I am sure you will have no hesitation in providing the requested information.

Yours sincerely,

Not surprisingly, the local branch manager declined to provide a breakdown or detail after contacting his "Customer Relations department".

He also seems to be confusing the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) made the day before with this letter, he is saying that Halipox are not obliged to provide a list of transactions or charges. Goodness sake do these numpties think we are stupid?

On the SAR a reply was received the next day saying the info would be provided within 35 days. They returned the £10 cheque too. Is this normal for Halipox?

It seems to vary between each branch. I went into my local branch yesterday and asked the lady on the customer sevice counter is she would reverse a charge that is due to go on my account in the next couple of days and she did. A couple of years ago I asked at the desk again and she refunded 3 charges (got a bit of a lecture on that occasion!) so maybe next time try the customer service desk and act really sorry and upset and spin a hard luck story (starving kids and no money for food seems to work best!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My OH used to work for the Halipox, apparently Barclays have been the clearing bank for the Halipox, and have a "tenuous" relationship - so perhaps not too surprising (she left 0ver 6 years ago, never looked back)- good luck!!:cool:

Halifax - paid out without getting to court - £250 WON - no intention of going, stated too costly!!

Halifax no 2 account - paid out without a fight - (by mistake, £1650 - should have been £1200 - had to pay some back)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2 days ago received a reply to Prelim from 7 weeks ago! Offered less than 40% - no mention of court action. Rather patronising and condescending letter.

No defence or acknowledement submitted.

Filed request for judgement today.

Do Halipox apply for setaside or just pay up before baliffs go in?

• 3 weeks later...

Judgement received.

75% offer received (no mention of judgement) from Halipox.(no contractual interest and no penalties prior to 1/3/2001)

Interestingly this letter di not stae anywhere that it was full and final settlement or anything similar.

OH decided to accept, against my advice. I worded the letter very carefully accepting the payment but that did not imply any acceptance of full settlemnet.

Now we have the judgement we're going to see what happens. If Halipox just let it run and accept the CCJ or if they try for setaside or something similar.

Maybe we can get the balance off of them for easing their path.