Apprenticeship problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1355 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me on behalf of my son. He is 20 and has been an apprentice Service Administrator for a Honda dealer for the last year and half, maybe a bit more

He was supposed to be allowed time during working hours to complete his assessments but the workload has always been too much so has not been given ANY time to complete his coursework, they have expected him to do it in his own time at home. 

He has now completed it and submitted it as once this is complete they have said they will take him on as a full time employee but seem to be dragging their heels. It was due to be done back in March. 

for now he is still on an apprentice wage of something like £9k pa, working 8-6 when his hours should be 9-5

once the apprenticeship is up, his wage will increase to around £22k pa

The question I have is that as they are so busy, he never has time to take a lunch break. He had a quiet 5 minutes one day last week and snatched a moment to look at his phone, his manager told him to 'get off his phone and do some work for a change'

I have been in there before to request a secret leave for him as his girlfriend had booked a surprise trip for him and was told by his manager that he is the hardest working in the team, he is polite and helpful to everyone and they would seriously be lost without him. So the comment about 'do some work for a change' is an absolute liberty

Also, he informed me this morning that he was short paid in his wages by £30. He mentioned it to his manager and was told that 'it's such a small amount, payroll wont even bother about it so forget it'!

He has said on a number of occasions that the company don't really care about it's employees. He is now expected to go in early and work late as one of the other sites have closed and all of their booked services etc have been given to the branch my son works at meaning they have even more to do with the same amount of staff. 

He is stressed beyond belief but frightened to say anything in case they cancel his apprenticeship and make him pay back the costs, and be out of a job 

is there anywhere he can go for advice, apart from internal HR who are just as useless?

Hi.

People should be along to advise over the course of the day. From what I can see, the company aren't doing what they're meant to, but other people have more knowledge than I do.

If your son's an apprentice, is he attached to a college? I thought they were meant to keep an eye on him.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks for your reply

He was attached to a college yes but I think he was only visited in the very early days. Now his coursework is completed I am not sure if he can still contact them but I will find out

Hello,

if he is at the end of the apprenticeship and the coursework complete, then personally I'd sit tight until he has his qualification. I think around 20th August as a big day for results in England; check with the college what the qualification is and when he will get his results and certificate. It may be that he has misunderstood "end of the course" and "being qualified" and the employer is rightly waiting to see if he passed.

You also need to check the apprenticeship agreement to see if it mentions anything about repaying fees. If fees have come from the apprentice levy, that's unlikely. But have a good read.

After that, he'll have to choose if he wants to take action (easier with a union behind him), find a new job, or put up with it. That's kind of the only routes I can see. But I think you both need more information first.

• Thanks 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thank you 

I will go through his contract and have a read

I'm pretty sure not paying what he was short in his wages is illegal though! Saying payroll wont even bother with it as it is such a small amount is beyond belief! Shouldn't matter if it was £3 or £30, he earned it and they have kept it. Just makes you wonder how many people they do that to and get away with it 🤬

Indeed, but pick your battles; or rather, time them well!

Make sure he actually gets his qualification first; that's most important for his future.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

As apprenticeship schemes are partly funded by govet there will be a reporting mechanism via the college he does day release etc at so that is the route to go with a grievance. His senior tutor should be the first contact.

Now the govt doesnt want their schemes abused and the collges have a bit of self interest so things may not be obvious as far as changes go but there will be meetings and you can bet that the employer will be spoken to. often reporst go out to other emplopyers who send their apprentices on the same courses so word will get around if they dont start to behave a bit better.

Ultimately when he has finished he can also let Honda Uk know what their franchisees are up to.

The pay shortage happened when? if this financial year it will be easy for payroll to correct so immediate boss just talking rubbish. If son has left it a while then they will huff and puff but will sort it out if approached but that means son must bypass bully of a boss

I haven't had a chance to read through his contract yet but he is insisting that it says of he leaves his position within 2 years he will have to pay back his course fees.

I will read it properly though and get back to you 

Thanks for your help so far