Hermes Failed Delivery -> Redelivery -> Lost Parcel

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I recently had an ebay refund case through which I had to return an item for a full refund, i've sent the item by using Hermes.

Postage: It's a signed tracked item, but haven't insured it. Label paid and printed at a local Londis shop which has a Hermes drop off point/machine.

Item Value: £500

Item: Audio Equipment

Postage cost: £6.90

Type: Ebay refund (I paid for the label)

Proof: Pictures of the package with the label attached at the drop off point and receipts

The story is short. I had posted an item. Checked the tracking, it says that there has been a problem delivering an item (haven't specified the exact reason). 

I had called their customer support, asked what was the problem with delivery. They had told me there should've not been a problem with the delivery in the first place as the representative which I talked to had checked the address and it was all fine. Thus they will try to contact the courier and redeliver.

This morning I get an email from hermes that they had "lost" my parcel and I should fill out their form, which I did.

But by reading this forum, I see that I will not get anywhere without pushing Hermes. I hope they will comeback with good news to me, but I highly doubt it.

I know this might be a typical case with Hermes, and they most likely try to get out of it. But the package has been lost in their handling, how should I proceed? Again, I took pictures of the item at their drop off point with the label attached as a precaution.

Summary:

Posted the item(no insurance) -> Problem with delivery (no specified reason) -> Called the representative and they contacted the courier for a redelivery -> Next day email with "we had not been able to locate the parcel" -> ???

Edited by HermesAudio
More information

Hi, welcome to the forum. Did you declare the value of it correctly

firstly , you may have noticed elsewhere on this forum that it has been suggested that you could go to the resolver service and attempt a resolution there . 

this certainly is a possible avenue for action and of course it is risk free for you . However , we have found that resolver has become rather lukewarm over the years and also some of the information that the give , for instance about the party rights is completely wrong . 

However our view is that hermes are happy to use resolver because it tends to legitimise their complaints process.

there is a huge facebook complaints group with over 11000 people who are mostly complaining about hermes . Some of them have used resolver and a few of them have achieved a resolution but in the main , they get no result but instead suffer delays and fatigue and eventually they give up.

you are quite right that you will need to push hermes and it may even come down to having to issue a legal action. this is not without risks and you should be aware of your risk factors which are that you could lose your claim fee and also an allocation fee.

however you should begin by embarking upon the hermès formal claims process to test them and see whether they reject your claim, which they surely will, and on what grounds.

Then come back here

Hi,

Hermes did contact me and asked me for receipts and value of the item. And now just sent me an email: "We're happy to let you know that we have today accepted your claim for £26.89.". The item value is: £500
And it has been lost in their handling. (First courier couldn't deliver -> called them and they told me they contacted the courier to re-deliver -> Next day email: Sorry your parcel has been lost.)

Haven't given me any other information at all.

How shall I proceed in this case? I am obviously not happy with their service and £26.89 claim

Thanks again

Annotation 2020-07-31 092947.jpg

Additional information: 
1) It has been posted through a local dropoff point. Used a Hermes tablet to fill out the information on and buy a label.
2) After label has been printed at the shop I applied it to the parcel and took pictures of it at the till with all information on the package and label visible before handing it over.

of course they are very disingenuous because they say that you opted to take a particular insurance package suggesting that it is an opt-in choice but of course it is not opt-in, it is an opt-out choice with the only alternative being some rather more expensive insurance so that they are of course asking you to insure them against their own negligent handling of your goods.

I'm afraid that it will cause a little bit of extra delay but I suggest that you write to them immediately and say to them that you did not opt for the insurance and that you do not accept the offer. 

they will knock you back again but you may as well see what they say and then I would suggest a letter of claim giving them 14-days.

please read around the forum so that you understand your risk factors that your claim fee and also the hearing fee because I expect for £500 they may decide to push it to a hearing especially because nowadays hearings seem to be on the telephone or on video.

Also please do understand that there was one case where somebody made their claim on the basis that they should not have been required to purchase the insurance and they lost.  we think that they drew a short straw with the judge and that it was not properly argued. However, do appreciate your risk factors. We will help you all the way but the case is yours to win or to lose.

Thank you for your support. I had replied to Hermes as you advised. I will update as soon as I hear the response from them.

I had read around the forums and there are a lot of people in the same situation. As i understand the small claims court fee's are around £80 and I understand the risk factors if I lose, but I will still pursue this issue till the end

Well hopefully you have read all the various stories thoroughly enough to understand that your position now was entirely predictable and that there is nothing that you can say or do or threaten which will make them pay you any money and that your only way forward is to send them a letter of claim followed by issuing a small claim in the County Court.

Also you should have read around sufficiently to understand that there are risk factors which mean that you could lose the case in which case you would lose your claim fee and also the allocation fee – which for a value of £500 – the claim fee is £35. The allocation fee is about £55 – so your risk factor is probably £90. If there was actually a hearing then you might have to pay the reasonable costs of travel of the representative that they send to the hearing – but it is most likely that the hearing will be conducted by video or telephone.

If you want to go ahead then we will help you and of course if you win then you will be hero because you will have delivered a serious slap to Hermes.

We've already pointed out that it's extraordinary that customers are required to take out insurance against negligence or dishonesty by Hermes or their employees. This provides absolutely no incentive for Hermes to improve or to put their act together. It simply encourages more negligence and more dishonesty.

If you decide that you want to claim then send the letter of claim – but be certain that you are going to follow through with your threat at the end of 14 days because you can be certain that they will ignore your letter of claim.

If you do send the letter of claim then make sure that you understand all the steps in taking a small claim and register with the County Court's Moneyclaim service and start drafting your claim there. Post up here any draft letter of claim and also particulars of claim for us to have a look at before you click them off