Refused a refund

Fringer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all 

I bought a dress for my sister from a small high street shop last Saturday.

I asked to try it on as we are the same size and was told yes I can but if I didn't want it, to give it to her, not to put it back on the rail.

I ended up buying it but when I gave it to my sister, she didn't like it so I took it back to the shop yesterday, with the receipt and asked for a refund

The owner was very abrupt and said she doesn't do refunds. I asked her to repeat it as I was a bit shocked to be honest, again she said abruptly 'I don't do refunds' I asked her where her sign is stating that as it should be displayed somewhere in the shop and she told me she doesn't have to display anything.

I asked what do I do with this dress then as it's not needed, she said 'take it home with you, I don't do refunds!' and proceeded to pick up her phone and start talking to someone while I was stood there with my mouth open

Is she allowed to refuse a refund? 

In a nutshell: yes, they can refuse a refund.

You have no right to demand a refund.

If the goods were as advertised and not faulty and the only reason you want to take them back is that you've changed your mind then I'm sorry but you don't have any rights to demand this. 

You can only return store-bought non-faulty goods for an exchange or refund if the retailer has a returns policy. 

It's worth noting that shops aren't required by law to have a returns policy, but if they do have one they must stick to it.

They should have a sign displayed if they have a returns policy which gives you options over and above your statutory rights. But the absence of such a sign is fine as they are not offering you any additional options. 

now the intweresting thing about this is the demand that if you try it on you have to buy- no you dont.

So can you explain the whole conversation with the owner of the shop again, using as far as possible the exact words exchanged as you may have a reason to challenge the no refund policy.

You may well have shot yourself in the foot by saying the dress wasnt needed though so try and be as accurate with the conversation as possible