Hermes - two parcels delivered empty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 166 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need some help here to understand what are my rights and what are my chances.  i am an online seller and shipped 14 boxes with gaming consoles to various addresses using Hermes.  The last two boxes were delivered empty and the two buyers are asking for refunds.  I did an online booking for the shipment and declared the right value of GBP 500 for each item.  I put in a claim with Hermes for both the items and they are offering GBP 26.89 as it is postal plus 20 pound cover that comes in automatically.  I did not go in for the GBP 300 cover while booking thinking its odd that they are telling me to insure against their failure.  I initially suspected the buyers but as I used the same parcel shop on the same day for these two deliveries I am not sure who is at fault.  Both buyers have geographically quite distant from each other.  Boxes seem to be retaped from the bottom after item was removed.  

Hermes have closed the claim saying they have clearly mentioned that high value items are prohibited - my counter argument was if it was so then why was I allowed to declare a value of GBP 500 while booking the shipment.  They should have stopped me then.  

I need some help here to understand what are my rights and what are my chances

i am an online seller and shipped 14 boxes with gaming consoles to various addresses using Hermes. 

The last two boxes were delivered empty and the two buyers are asking for refunds. 

I did an online booking for the shipment and declared the right value of GBP 500 for each item. 

I put in a claim with Hermes for both the items and they are offering GBP 26.89 as it is postal plus 20 pound cover that comes in automatically. 

I did not go in for the GBP 300 cover while booking thinking its odd that they are telling me to insure against their failure. 

I initially suspected the buyers but as I used the same parcel shop on the same day for these two deliveries I am not sure who is at fault.  Both buyers have geographically quite distant from each other.  Boxes seem to be retaped from the bottom after item was removed.  

Hermes have closed the claim saying they have clearly mentioned that high value items are prohibited - my counter argument was if it was so then why was I allowed to declare a value of GBP 500 while booking the shipment. 

They should have stopped me then.  

Welcome to the forum – and we will be very happy to help you.

However, please don't post in solid blocks of text. It's extremely difficult to read properly and it puts people off giving you the help you need. You can see above that your story has been rearranged and it is much more presentable. However it takes work on our part to do.

First of all, it's clear that you will have to refund your Purchases – and you have probably better do this as quickly as possible to avoid negative feedback.

Very interesting that this time Hermes are relying on the excuse that that the items you sent were high-value. I haven't heard this one before. Do they define what they mean by high-value – and certainly you are correct, but if you declared the value correctly and they allowed the shipment to go through then they have no basis to object, in my view.

Have you got photographs of the items which apparently have been re-taped. It certainly is interesting that the element that they have in common is that they were both sent from the same parcel shop. Is it possible to say that the opening and the retyping of the boxes was very similar? Is the tape the same?

Do I gather then that you are claiming for the loss of two items each of the value of £500?

Thanks for the quick reply - and sorry for the block of text.  I realise now that its tough to read.  

Hermes has a clause that items above GBP 300 are prohibited.  

I declared the items as having a value of GBP 500/-  each.  This was my last argument to them that they should have stopped me then if such a thing was prohibited.  

The pictures are sent by the buyers which show a clear transparent tape at the bottom of the box - we only use brown packaging tape.  Looks like the same tape for both boxes, but its a common tape.  

Yes I am claiming for a total of GBP 1000/-  -   each item is worth GBP 500/-.

Should I issue a letter of action now as I dont think they will agree through claim?

• 4 months later...

15 minutes ago, tiger940 said:

This has just happened to me with a laptop  I sold (for £260) on ebay and posted through hermes. te package arrived at the buyers house empty and badly taped back up again.

I sent through Packlink and declared the value, then payed extra to be insured up to that value

I was wondering what actions you took to resolve this, and if you ever got the claim money you were owed.

We can help you but you need to start your own thread please

On 21/07/2020 at 14:00, jethit said:

Thanks for the quick reply - and sorry for the block of text.  I realise now that its tough to read.  

Hermes has a clause that items above GBP 300 are prohibited.  

I declared the items as having a value of GBP 500/-  each.  This was my last argument to them that they should have stopped me then if such a thing was prohibited.  

The pictures are sent by the buyers which show a clear transparent tape at the bottom of the box - we only use brown packaging tape.  Looks like the same tape for both boxes, but its a common tape.  

Yes I am claiming for a total of GBP 1000/-  -   each item is worth GBP 500/-.

Should I issue a letter of action now as I dont think they will agree through claim?

Any update on this please?