style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1350 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya - thought I'd may as well say hello as we may be seeing more of each other in future.

I left the UAE at the end of January with payments remaining on a loan from Mashreq Bank.

Long story as to why I left, and largely irrelevant here.

I kept making the payments up until April as I was still earning from freelance, at which point Covid put paid to that.

Did the predictable trying to negotiate a new payment schedule which was refused point blank.

Today, I received the email from IDRWW that a few people seem to have had lately (we've been asked to take on a portfolio etc).

That's just two months after I missed my first payment - in the middle of a pandemic! Is that a record?

I don't think any specific help is needed regarding just the phishing email.

I don't even have a new residential address yet to give them if I was so inclined as covid kicked off before I'd got anything properly sorted, and need even sure if I plan staying in he UK long term as my wife is overseas, I've been locked down on a mate's sofa and will start to look into more permanent options now things are opening up.

I'll have an entertaining evening reading other people's stories on here, and may well be one of those stories myself before too long!

Have you provided any UK address to any company that would have updated your UK credit history ?

At the moment it is just emails to ignore, but as soon as any UK postal address is recorded on your credit history, you will no doubt receive letters in the post.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

All my UK finance-related stuff is currently registered at my mother's address.

Bit concerned about that as she's 80, opens all of it, and prone to serious anxiety

(she was in tears when I got a letter from a UK credit card I thought was paid off saying I actually still owe £5 interest, so god knows what knuckle-dragging DCAs might cause).  

I may need to look at updating everything to a mate's address just to avoid her getting anything!

What you have to be careful of, is that the foreign creditor obtains a UK Court judgement, because you did not defend, as the Court claim went to the address on your credit record.  And then of course they might instruct enforcement officers to attend the address.  

So yes it would be sensible to ensure you update your address so your Mother is not bothered by this.  And you might want to tell IDRWW of the UK address, where the can send any letters.  Always better to be receiving any correspondence, so you can deal with it, as appropriate.  

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Cheers - yeah, I've been reading about the backdoor judgements.

I've been out of the country 10 years, so just had my mother's place by default, but really don't want any future correspondence related to this going there

(long story short I had to get smuggled out of the UAE after being trapped there for two years with no passport and no income as a very talented scammer had successfully seized my bank account and salary with the support of their contacts at the UAE courts.

Unfortunately the smuggling wasn't 100% successful and I spent four months in prison in Oman as an illegal immigrant before I finally got out. Any more Middle East-related grief may well finish her off, lol)

If, as anticipated, I end up going and joining my wife in Asia (not via Dubai or anywhere else in the GCC obviously), can I give them my address there? And if so what will they likely do then?

Actually, a second query that occurred to me - their email states they're handling accounts of people who are "resident" in the UK. I'm not sure if I even am in legal terms.

I'm a UK citizen, but have been out of the country for 10 years.

I've been back around 5 months - my understanding is that I need to be in the UK for 183 days of the current tax year to be classed as resident, and that probably isn't going to happen, border openings notwithstanding.

Conversely, I am still legally resident in the UAE, where my residence visa has about another four months to run., though I'm highly unlikely to return. 

Are they even barking up the right tree?

you don't own the asset of the house so they cant get a backdoor CCJ.

give 'em your mates UK address to protect your mam

but other than silly letters there is nothing they can do to you

have you locked down all social media to totally private

cause they will ring and pester everyone on facebook twitter linked in etc etc 

to embarrass you into being mugged.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yup, social media's all locked down, awful place tbh.

That's reassuring to hear. I'm actually quite looking forward to the prospect of giving them an address thousands of miles away and telling them I'm not even a UK resident, so what are you doing exactly?

There was a court case going back to the early 1970's which set a precedent, that a debtor only has to be present in the UK for a creditor to apply for a CCJ.  In the case in question, a lady was attending a horse race and the creditors knew of this intended visit, so made sure to put in their claim.  Of course if you then have no funds or assets to settle the debt, it is a waste of time. 

But those chasing the debts often see results from harassing relatives snd friends, as the debtor is faced with trying to stop this from happening.

So you need to ensure the address creditors have is where you can receive correspondence and that as soon as you leave the UK, you write to creditors to confirm your new foreign address.  You may get chased by a different company in the country you move to. These Banks have many different companies that chase debts in most countries, where the law does not prevent this.

Appreciated again. I'm not someone that loves the idea of "escaping debts". I do, however, love the idea of [edited] over that country's retarded legal system, where a Russian woman with fake documents in Russian that the court will only tell you you're not entitled to see via documents in Arabic, neither of which you speak, can have you trapped there for years and force you to sell all your assets in your home country to survive until you pay someone another several thousand to get you out.

Irrelevant, and I already have a publisher for the book, but I am kind of looking forward to this.

• 4 weeks later...

Be very diff to enforce it. So what is their point?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They can still get a Warrant of Control or Third Party Debt Order or possibly Bankruptcy subject the judgment amount. 

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

On 13/07/2020 at 22:25, unclebulgaria67 said:

Have you provided any UK address to any company that would have updated your UK credit history ?

At the moment it is just emails to ignore, but as soon as any UK postal address is recorded on your credit history, you will no doubt receive letters in the post.

if the op does the above, then surely any ccj/sd/enforcement is out the window, the op is not resident in the uk and hasn't been for 10yrs....?

and they

I've given both the bank and the IDRWW people a fwding address, and explained the current situation to the bank yet again, but now neither of them are responding to my emails, so I guess hang in and see if I get pulled on an interpol notice at some point in future, UAE banks being chronic abusers!

doesn't actually happen like that

stop reading silly scare story sites that are solely interested in gandering 'fees' out of you to supposedly 'protect' you from this and resolve the matter by securing a settlement agreement by monthly payments that they get 99% of.

dx

and they

I've no intention of paying anything to any dodgy DCAs, but it's not a silly scare story that the Gulf states, UAE and Qatar in particular, are chronic abusers, and coincidentally massive funders, of Interpol. No biggie in the long term, but an undeniable fact.

the tide is rapidly turning again due to covid and the focus going on on these people and has been for a longtime 

in reality there are very few that are actually now reported to interpol or interpol doing anything about it.

as i say, don't read scare stories, these most often are perpetuated and publicised by the fleecers and are most often found to be patsy cases anyway.

the person that gets pulled often gets money out of the creditors by a backhander to let things happen to scare others into coughing up.

dx

and they

When I looked into the Middle East Interpol flagging, it was mostly related to corporate debts and not personal debt. 

The personal debts that were flagged with Interpol, were where there was suspected fraud involved.  i.e people gave false information to take out credit.

Unfortunately, when cases are reported online, they don't always contain accurate information.  i.e. there is much more to the story than was reported.  

I’ve heard recently that IDRWW and Mr Coyle are at it again !!!! Maybe another email to the SRA and The FCA is needed! 

when are they going to stop abusing and harassing when they don’t even own the debt