Just found default for account Barclays closed 5 years ago

kitkatplum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1383 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've just started the mortgage application process and broker has flagged a default on my account.

On further inspection this relates to a student account that Barclays closed without my approval in Dec 2015 due to inactivity (I assume, I hadn't used it in several years).

I wasn't served any default notice,  nor received any paperwork.

As I still have 2 other Barclays current accounts they have my current address even though i have moved several times since.

On my credit file, it is showing a default amount of £350 relating to an overdraft on the account.

I have spoken to 2 people at Barclays and had 2 conflicting messages.

One - yes there is an outstanding debt that you can pay,

and two - there is no way to have an outstanding debt because the account wouldn't have been closed, but it definitely has been. 

I need to get this sorted as it has trashed my credit rating without my knowledge (I should have paid closer attention to my file) but I have no idea how to untangle this and neither does it seem does Barclays. Help!

first thing to do is place a marker on the entry to state that this entry is being challenged.

The credit reference agency people will help you with this if need be.

the other thing is to make a formal complaint to the bank and tell them you are happy to take it to the financial ombudsman if they don't correct their errors ( several errors that could land them in trouble)  and this will set them back more than the amount you possibly owe just to pay for the matter to be considered by the FOS

start getting things in writing from now on

Signing into this, as I have had the same problem since the late 90's on my student Barclays accounts and have been getting chased for the last 18 years for non existent defaults. Do you know if any debt collecting agencies are trying to collect this alleged default ?

stop using the phone

writing only!!

send Barclays an sar too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

click it and read

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

11 minutes ago, kitkatplum said:

No - no debt collation agencies involved at all. 

Do i speak with exuifax/experian directly or would someone like checkmyfile be able to put a marker on this?

Sign up to one of these, go through the verification process and find out what markers and searches have been left on your credit report.

Also as per DX, do a DSAR, it's an absolute treasure trove and sorted out my problems everytime I had to go to court over these "defaults"

And NEVER EVER SPEAK ON THE PHONE TO THEM!!!!!!

My personal interest in this, is these alleged debts from Barclays get sold to a company called Aktiv Kapital (or one of their myriad of sub companies), what their strategy is to sit on these debts for years and then wait for a significant life event such as changing job, buying a house before popping up and demanding their money which will be grossly inflated at that point.