Boss RE:SRA making an intervention order - Firm closed from tomorrow. - Devastating e-mail received

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1339 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.  Hope you you are all keeping safe and well.

I have worked for a law firm for nearly 21 years. 

I and a junior were the only staff not to be Furloughed. 

Yesterday teatime I received an email from my boss to say that on friday he was contacted by SRA to say that they were making an intervention order and Firm is closed as from tomorrow. 

No information on what will happen just said we are redundant with immediate effect. 

Obvs I have been scouring internet for information but my head is in pieces so just asking if anyone can offer me any information/advice on what I need to do. 

Anything would be much appreciated          

I'm sure this is very shocking and distressing news.

I suggest that you monitor this thread because I'm absolutely certain that one or two people who understand the whole area will probably come online and visit this thread and give you the advice you need.

• Thanks 1

Hi.

I'm so sorry about your news, it must have been a shock.

I haven't been in your situation but I would consider contacting the SRA tomorrow to find out what's happened. If your boss is telling the truth I imagine it's a serious breach of something.

I would also check out a benefits calculator like turn2us to find out what you might be entitled to in the way of benefits.

Sorry I can't help more.

HB

PS This is the SRA's web page on when a firm is closed down. I see there's a link for employees to follow. You may have seen it of course.

https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/solicitor-closed-down/intervention/

• Thanks 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi there 

First off, you need to check your employment agreement and  the company policy on Redundancy (assuming they have one).

There will be be statutory redundancy payments that you will be entitled to and any enhanced payments that the your company may offer.  

The most important factor is notice of redundancy, if they have not followed the procedure set out in your employment contract/policy then it is a breach of contract. 

Here is the link to work out your statutory entitlement 

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

The SRA only intervene like this if something is very very wrong - How long has the firm been running?

Back to your issue. Honeybee has given you good advice. Check what you are entitled to and then place a claim for benefits if you are eligible. Dont delay - Claim today! 

You must do this online if it Universal Credit. Start your claim here - https://www.universal-credit.service.gov.uk/

It doesnt take long if you have everything to hand :)

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

• dx100uk changed the title to Boss RE:SRA making an intervention order - Firm closed from tomorrow. - Devastating e-mail received
12 minutes ago, Consumer_Sue said:

Hi there 

First off, you need to check your employment agreement and  the company policy on Redundancy (assuming they have one). There will be be statutory redundancy payments that you will be entitled to and any enhanced payments that the your company may offer.  

The most important factor is notice of redundancy, if they have not followed the procedure set out in your employment contract/policy then it is a breach of contract. 

If the firm doesn't have enough money then redundancy pay would be via the liquidator or the National Insurance fund if there's nothing left.

Statutory Redundancy pay AIUI is just a calculation.

HB

hello HB

The calculator is what you are entitled to as a minimum. You are right it is a calculator, however payments will still be due. Until we know for sure, the circumstances of the closure, it is a bit of a challenge to advise in the correct direction.

Best, Sue 

There are a couple of snippets on the SRA page that say it's taken control of papers and finances. I think that's all the more reason to ring them tomorrow, ladyh0.

Documents and papers

When the SRA closes down a firm, we take all documents and papers that relate to its clients, including files and accounting records. We keep the documents safe and, if appropriate, return them to the people they belong to. Where are my documents?

Money

When the SRA closes down a firm, we take all money held by the firm, including its clients' money. We return this money to the people it belongs to if we can trace them. What happens to my money?

I don't find some of the links very helpful, they seem very generic.

Hi all. thank you for your kind replies.  We are a small firm ( i am not a partner or anything, just an employee) 6 work at Firm.  We got a normal SRA audit about 18 months ago and thought nothing of it.  In my years of working there I know they do random audits but before lockdown they kept coming back to do further audits.  He must have known.  Email said no allegations of fraud or dishonesty!! This is obvs very early days but I need to know what I should do  RE :redundancy.  Can I start the process now ? Many thanks for your kind replies x

2 hours ago, Consumer_Sue said:

Hi there 

First off, you need to check your employment agreement and  the company policy on Redundancy (assuming they have one).

There will be be statutory redundancy payments that you will be entitled to and any enhanced payments that the your company may offer.  

Hi. He has not given any notice period as Firm has closed so am I right (from reading) that I am entitled to 12 weeks notice pay.  I do not have a  written contract of employment  

4 hours ago, fkofilee said:

The SRA only intervene like this if something is very very wrong - How long has the firm been running?

Back to your issue. Honeybee has given you good advice. Check what you are entitled to and then place a claim for benefits if you are eligible. Dont delay - Claim today! 

You must do this online if it Universal Credit. Start your claim here - https://www.universal-credit.service.gov.uk/

It doesnt take long if you have everything to hand :)

The firm has been running for over 40 years.  I have been there 21 and in my time there very few complaints and no negligence claims.  He says it was a historical breach of accounting rules which he could not rectify!!!  

1 hour ago, honeybee13 said:

There are a couple of snippets on the SRA page that say it's taken control of papers and finances. I think that's all the more reason to ring them tomorrow, ladyh0.

Documents and papers

When the SRA closes down a firm, we take all documents and papers that relate to its clients, including files and accounting records. We keep the documents safe and, if appropriate, return them to the people they belong to. Where are my documents?

Money

When the SRA closes down a firm, we take all money held by the firm, including its clients' money. We return this money to the people it belongs to if we can trace them. What happens to my money?

I don't find some of the links very helpful, they seem very generic.

Thank you.  I have read this also and not very helpful.  I will contact SRA tomorrow  

1 minute ago, honeybee13 said:

Are you going to ring the SRA, ladyh0?

HB

Yes I will call them tomorrow.  The date of intervention is tomorrow so hoping they will have some information for me   

4 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

Are you going to ring the SRA, ladyh0?

HB

Yes I will call them tomorrow.  The date of intervention is tomorrow so hoping they will have some information for me   

Hi

I agree you need to contact the SRA as you need confirmation that the intervention from them is correct as stated by your Employer.

Your Legal Rights as an Employee still remain the responsibility of your Employer even with this Invervention by the SRA. See this SRA link: https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/solicitor-closed-down/intervention-employees-effect/

Also this SRA Link gives you a list of 50 most recent decisions where you can see why they intervened:
https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/solicitor-check/recent-decisions/

• Thanks 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

From what I have found out it is due to breaches of accounting rules dating back a number of years but only discovered on a recent audit.  The intervention is today.  We are all obviously concerned about redundancy pay.  I understand that the firm accounts will be frozen but not sure if he is able to pay us the salary that is owed.

9 hours ago, Consumer_Sue said:

Yes, definitely ring them tomorrow.

Sounds pretty serious and I wish you all the best. It's rotten when a company you have served for so many years gets themselves into such a mess.

All the best, Sue x

Thank you so much.  I am lucky enough to have never been out of work.  Boss is being all apologetic and saying he will do all he can for us so I hope he follows through 😓

Straight onto here also

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Find out what benefits you are entitled to. Depending on savings level you might be entitled to a decent amount of UC. Also if you have kids under 18, child benefit.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread