Tax credit compliance telephone interview

Annie2233
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1361 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi 

I have received a letter from HMRC requesting me to attend a telephone interview. They are asking for childcare costs April 2019/2020

Wheb I have gone through my invoices and what I currently get allowance for this is about £3k under!

What will happen?

Will I be prosecuted?

Thanks  in advance for any help 

Hello and welcome to CAG.

If I remember rightly, compliance isn't usually as scary as it sounds.

The best thing to do is to have your information assembled and to tell the truth. I don't think anyone who has posted here has been prosecuted, the tax credit people normally arrange for you to repay what's been overpaid by deductions from future benefits.

Have a read around our HMRC forum for cases similar to yours where people have come back and told us the outcome.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks for getting back to me HB and thank you for the welcome. I’ve had a read around and that’s why I posted. I’ve read the great advice given. Compliance does sound scary,  in fact the HMRC scares me! 

I know by looking at what I was awarded which is far more than what I pay for child care. I don’t think I worked out the child care element properly when my son started school 

short answer is no you wont be prosecuted.

it's not that scary at all

just be honest, and all you'll have to eventually do is pay it back in small sums.

i've moved you too the HMRC forum

lots of like threads here recently

just have a read

but do it HERE on CAG

not all the exaggerated scare stories on other sites ...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Annie.

Could you show us a pdf image of their leaflet please? All I can say is that nobody here has come back and said they're been fined for as long as I can remember. Everybody has had deductions made from future payments.

HB

I don’t know, I told them child care costs were £120 a week which they were. He started  school i rang them to advise. Told them I would still need child care as there would be school holidays. I wrongly assumed they would work out my allowance. And never reviewed it myself 

thats the std letter they send to everyone.if it's for a £100 or £10'000+

you won't be prosecuted...

they only prosecute serious purposeful defrauders whereby the sum is in the many £10k's and serial criminal gangs that do it.

simply be honest at all times.

and you'll be fine

• Thanks 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

From what you say, it doesn't sound negligent or deliberately misleading.

Everybody who comes here feels like you do so please believe us when we say we haven't seen anyone fined or prosecuted. Read a few more threads that were resolved. :)

HB

• Thanks 1

You will likely end up having slightly lower payments in future. In fact you can even Google the amount they are allowed to take off, it’s pretty small.

Nothing to worry about.

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks London1971

. I’m stressing a bit today.

As I didn’t check the review letter will they think I was trying to claim fraudulently?

And when I think about it it would also relate back to 2018 when my son started school

They have only mentioned since April 2019

I have since been on line (it’s so confusing)and tried to update my childcare allowance so it meets what I have paid out last year. 

Sorry for all the questions 

Edited by Annie2233
Missed a sentence out

Wont ever be fraud

• Thanks 1

and they

You can look up the stats, on tax credit fraud. Around 300 prosecutions PA, around 80,000 investigations.Yours is not an investigation. Most of the prosecutions are people working for HMRC, playing the system. 

Yours is just routine. Won’t be any fines or anything like that.

i actually think you might want to order an SAR , so that you have clarity over what has happened I lover the last few years. If you have forgotten, it will put the facts in front of you.

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

*Update*

I phoned tax credits as I had to change the telephone number. I ended up getting the lady to help me. We went through the childcare for last year and this year. As I told her I really didn’t want to get any further payments that I wasn’t entitled to.  If I’m completely honest I’m still confused how they go about working out childcare costs. For my stress levels I’m not perusing claiming. Although from what I understand I’m not entitled to them anyway (during this tax year)even though he will be going  during school summer holiday 🤷‍♀️

It turns out I have obviously had a big over payment by my calculations just under £5k. They’re going to work this out and send me out a new renewals. Exactly as dx100uk and London1971 advised....my repayments which will be taken off my payments monthly. No fine was mentioned. 

The lady said I wouldn’t need to the compliance telephone interview as the questions they’d have asked me would have been what we had already discussed. I’m guessing she’ll cancel this her end.

To anyone who needs help these letters are scary. They get you overthinking. On the flip side If I had not got mine I would never had paid much attention to the childcare as I had presumed they’d worked it out. Lessons learn always review your tax credit renewals and never assume!

As you can see, the advice given on here so far with regards to my case has been 100% accurate. Listen to what they are telling you. They know what they’re talking about. Thank you dx100uk and London1971.