• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Why has nobody WON against Egg??

darthbane2k
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They're hard boiled. But see barcote's thread.

Also, note that no-one has lost either.

NatWest Charges: £3708.81. Allocated to fast track 14/10/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 23/10/06 5% donation made

HSBC Default Removal and £186 charges: N1 claim issued 28/11/06 *WON* 28/02/07 5% donation made

Egg Charges: £370. N1 claim issued 24/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 12/01/07 5% donation made

Natwest Student: £150. N1 claim issued 24/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 10/12/06 5% donation made

Natwest Credit card: £317.01 INCLUDING CONTRACTUAL INTEREST, *WON* 30/11/06 5% Donation Made

Ikano Data Protection Act deception and non-complience: N1 claim issued 28/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 12/12/06 5% donation made

I am not a lawyer. All advice is merely my own opinion. Nevertheless, I've won £4675 so far!

Tip my scales if you like my advice :)

That doesnt really answer my question.

Before I take the risk of starting a claim, paying court costs etc, I'd like to know why no one has won. What makes Eggs defence more airtight than say any of the other banks. If they cannot be beaten, then why bother?

From what I have read Barcotes situation was a one off that ended up in court. He won because Egg didnt show up and they are now appealing, so he hasnt even won just yet.

Another thing that concerns me (from reading posts) is that the only way you have a remote chance against Egg is if your account is closed or balance paid off fully. What if we are not in a position to do this? Will it mean Egg can simply counter claim?

If Egg are so damn smart, why arent the other (larger) banks using their methods to defend themselves in similar claims

That's the attitude they want you to reach. But claims take a while to go through, and some of them are getting close now, particularly those that have a good chance (like mine and some others) and can set a precedent.

You're right to say that if Egg were so smart then other banks would be doing the same - but Egg aren't smart, they're just unscrupulous, and are using bullying tactics because they're in a desperate situation.

I am about to make a claim to EGG. I had an egg credit card while I was a student, but got into a bit of a mess during my Teaching Practice when I had to quit my part time job. They charged me loads for paying late, made me spiral out of control with fees for late payments and overlimit, then offered me a loan to clear it off and closed down the credit card account. Unfortunately I have no record of the account number for the card but that shouldn't matter to them as they should still have the details linked to my loan.

I have read that they are a bit tough to crack, but I am sure if you keep at it you will succeed. I am determined to get my money back, as a large chunk of the loan they suggested I take out with them was to pay off exessive fees.

Now I am in even more debt and it will take forever to pay off... but anyway... I am feeling positive and so should you... don't be frightened off by their bullying. You are within your rights to cliam YOUR money back... so go for it, I am!!

Moodle

I am about to make a claim to EGG. I had an egg credit card while I was a student, but got into a bit of a mess during my Teaching Practice when I had to quit my part time job. They charged me loads for paying late, made me spiral out of control with fees for late payments and overlimit, then offered me a loan to clear it off and closed down the credit card account. Unfortunately I have no record of the account number for the card but that shouldn't matter to them as they should still have the details linked to my loan.

I have read that they are a bit tough to crack, but I am sure if you keep at it you will succeed. I am determined to get my money back, as a large chunk of the loan they suggested I take out with them was to pay off exessive fees.

Now I am in even more debt and it will take forever to pay off... but anyway... I am feeling positive and so should you... don't be frightened off by their bullying. You are within your rights to cliam YOUR money back... so go for it, I am!!

Oh I know im well within my rights and have sucessfully beaten Natwest and Capital One. However what concerns me is that I cannot fine a single success story of someone claiming against Egg. All I can see are warnings that Egg will counterclaim and force you to close your account if you still have an outstanding balance. I dont want to close the account (Cant afford to pay the balance up front at the moment) I just want my charges back.

Oh I know im well within my rights and have sucessfully beaten NatWest and Capital One. However what concerns me is that I cannot fine a single success story of someone claiming against Egg. All I can see are warnings that Egg will counterclaim and force you to close your account if you still have an outstanding balance. I dont want to close the account (Cant afford to pay the balance up front at the moment) I just want my charges back.

I really don't think that any credit card company or bank can actually force you to pay the full balance up front, if you do not have the funds to do so. Even if they take you to court, if you provide a statement detailing all your incomings and outgoings, some method of repayment will be agreed which suits BOTH parties.

Don't let them scare you with their bullying tactics. They can't touch you.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about claiming against Egg. I have a credit card with the balance currently paid off and a loan with about £200 left to pay. I've had this card nearly 6 years so should be quite a few charges on there but am also wondering if I should bother. It does seem strange no-one has really won against them. :confused:

FIGHT IT. If there was a decent reason for Egg to have won any cases and actually push forward with this, the other (actually reputable) banks would be doing it too.

The fact is that Egg would rather try to bully and intimidate people rather than pay up what they should. It's most likely that given they're such a dire company, they can't afford to pay back what they owe.

Fight them and add to the numbers - they make offers before going to court anyway, so it's worth doing for that alone.

There's a raft of court dates with Egg which will be reaching a head soon, so expect some deliberations then - I think it's very likely they'll have to change their tactics after that.

From newspaper coverage it appears that Egg are a loss making subsiduary of Prudential. This may explain (but not justify) their reluctance to pay. The basic facts don't change however, legally their charges are still unsustainable, and they still have not defended any claims.

J

Egg were the least helpful people when I was struggling. When things were good they constantly raised my credit card limit without me asking from an initial 3500 to 9000. When I asked for a loan to pay it off they kept the card balance on there and open which actually meant I had more than 25000 unsecured debt which I thought wasn't allowed.

They have lent huge amounts out and are now in a very poor financial situation and that is why they are scaring people into not claiming. Stick with it there was a case recently where someone won and the judge told Egg the charges should be a max £5.....if I am wrong on that then I will stand corrected ;)

Yes, they treated me in the same way. I was lucky though, and found myself in a position where I could pay off the credit card and a large loan. Prior to this they had happily raised my credit limit on a seemingly automatic basis. The direct debit is obviously their backstop.

When I tried to pay the card and loan off, I was quoted one settlement figure, which I promptly paid, only to receive a further bill one month later with additional interest added to my zero balance. After challange, they backed down on this one and finally zeroed the account.

Their psychology seems simple, they go after every last penny and then come back for your pockets! I wonder if their financial position is worse than alluded to in the press.

Todate I have dealt with Barclays,F.D,MBNA,Beneficial,B/Card and Egg are by far the most tricky and obstructive. I think that this attitude is counter productive however, and just encourages claimants to dig their heels in. Thats what it did to me !!

Good luck and keep up the fight (thats what it feels like !!)

J.:-)

J.

Is there still no calims that have been won by the consumer yet?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

Yes Un1boy,

Yasmin won her full refund, search for her posting on 4th December 2006. Another rcorrepondent J*** PM'ed me to say she too won full refund, attached to condition of keeping confidentiality. I have suggested all winners to sign in with username only (thus not breaching confidentiality) under thread "VE Day - Victory over Egg". Lets hope they do.

Oh that's great - can you let me know at what stage?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

• 3 weeks later...

I have just started 2 claims with HSBC.

I also want to start my claim with Egg but reading this thread, it looks like they are a tough nut to crack. I think I will wait until my HSBC dealings are over until I start on Egg.

Hi Rasta, my advice would be don't delay. The sooner you start it and all that.....and if you only have one other claim on the go, it should be managable! Don't let their tactics:rolleyes: prevent you, just go for it

Woolwich won in court/default removed Barclaycard Settled Halifax settled

Capital 1Settled GE Money Settled

Egg Settled-court action re.default 4th hearing!

Hi Yasmin, I have done all my claims now exept egg...I figured I'd need all my energy focused on that claim - can you please help me with the whole court bundle/process please?! :)

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Yup, seems like there are a few getting settlement offers from Egg - there appear to be some cracks in the shell at last :)

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

• 3 months later...