Self Employment Income Support Scheme

On 10th April 2020 my mum posted my Tax return for me (Computer was not working and was unable to file online).

I went online -  applied for the government grant : the system said 'im not eligible because I had not submitted my return. PANIC.  I called them and they advised they had not received it and I had to do it again.

I was self isolating on the 10th April, so Mum had to post the return for me.  She got proof of postage but cannot find it - She thinks dad might have binned it :(

Mum wrote a statement to whom it may concern (Shes a Pastoral Assistant at our local church) stating she had posted on said date.  this was posted together with another return.

HMRC wrote again and said Im not eligible "This is because you had not submitted your Self Assesment tax return by 23 April 2020"

I called HMRC - I kindy asked them to review this decision given my circumstances, the fact that I was following government guidelines and self isolating due to C19 symptoms, unable to get to the post office and the fact that it was posted.  Also asked them to consider several unfortunate circumstances that I have at home (single parent/kids have no father so therefore no contributions/kids in counselling following horrific trauma with their dad/child being assessed for Autism - and of course the fact that I will be unable now to work until September).  They said they would review.

Another letter received today again 'You are not eligible for the scheme, This is because you had not submitted your Tax return by 23rd April'

I called them again just now, he said there is Nothing you can do! Your not eligible and that's that.  I asked them what they needed for me to be eligible- would they accept an Affidavit from my mum ,what about a witness statement from the post office? He said all I can do is write a complaint but this wont change their decision.

I don't need to say what a nightmare this has landed me in. I was completely reliant on this and did everything I was advised to make sure this was sorted well in time! 

Can anyone assist me with a complaint, he suggested that it would not change their decision but..god I wish I could find that proof of postage!!! :( :(  :( 

Can ask how long you have been self employed?

Are you claiming universal credit or any benefits?

Have you got any income coming in?

I wont be offended if you don't answer any of my questions :)

95% of HMRC staff are working from home.  I just wonder whether your tax return has not been scanned into their document system, so it could be processed by these home working staff.

Agree with what you have been told. Follow the Government complaints process.  And also get your local MP involved, as that should cause HMRC complaints to be more thorough in searching for your tax return.

https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-hmrc

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 1 month later...

Update on SEISS (Self Emplyment Income Support Scheme) - my application refusal as I was not eligible as my tax return was not received by the deadline.

I contacted my local MP's office and they have been dealing with HMRC on this matter.

I was over the moon that my mum manage to finally locate the proof of postage from the 10th April and my local MP kindly sent this over to HMRC on my behalf.  When I initially spoke to HMRC on the phone about this they indicated that as long as I had the proof of postage then I would still be eligible but in HMRC's final response to the MP yesterday they state:

"Had you provided a recorded delivery receipt, we could have tried to trace receipt of this document as we would have had to sign for the document. Proof of posting only shows when the document was posted and not when we received it. As previously advised, we cannot be held responsible for documents held up in the post. Our system clearly states that we received this document at midday on 29 May 20. I regret therefore that we cannot overturn our previous decision that Ms XXXXXXXXXX is not eligible to claim the SEISS grant.

I know that Ms XXXXXXXXXX will be disappointed with my reply and I am sorry for any upset this may cause her, but we must adhere strictly to the guidelines set by the Treasury department and we cannot accept a late return in order to claim the grant."

To say im upset is an understatement! Ive been unable to work for months and although I am eligible Im not.

Whats worst is that we have turned my parents house upside down looking for this proof of posting and the amount of time taken to write letters/emails has all been a complete waste of time.

I have located the proof of postage from 10th April when I posted my paper tax return but HMRC will still not allow me to have the self employment support grant.  The second application is now available and they are now saying that I am not eligible for this either.

I think its very unfair to not allow me the grant when I have in my hands the proof that i posted to them way before the deadline date!