• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Packlink and Hermes again **Won - plus costs**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1249 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have they still not complied with the SAR? And have you made a complaint to the ICO?

Just now, ng67860 said:

No, still no response to the SAR

I filled out the online form on the ICO website to complain. 

Do you have a complaint reference number

I checked and it says that due to the large number of complaints, it can take up to 3 months before my case is assigned to a case officer. Once this has happened I will get a case number. It has been almost 2 months now. 

You will have to keep on to them because I can assure you that after three months, you will very likely find that your complaint simply disappears.

The big GDPR thing that became so important a couple years ago has by largely backfired because it has produced such a volume of complaints and yet so few extra resources that the ICO and everybody else this want and the result is that data processors can get away with murder in the confident knowledge that nothing much is going to happen.

It actually used to be much better before GDPR. You could make a complaint and get a reference number within two or three days and a result within two or three weeks

The thread has gone rather a long time and I'm slightly out of touch. Please check the below and see if it is correct and addresses all the points

Tracking reference: X X X X. Defendant courier company undertook to deliver claimant's digital camera value £1500 to an address in the UK. Defendants lost the parcel through their negligent handling.
The claimant seeks compensation for defendants breach of contract or alternatively negligence: £1500 + courier fee £XX

Data Protection: claimants served a valid request for statutory disclosure of personal data upon defendants on 01/07 2020. Defendants have not complied and are in breach of  statutory duty. This is caused distress and additional difficult to the claimant who seeks compensation of £50. Acomplaint has been made to the Information Commissioner.

Claimant seeks [do the calculation] plus interest pursuant to s.69 County Courts act 1984

I started bringing in negligence of the cause of action in case a judge would say that the third parties act does not apply to contracts based on Spanish law – which appears to be the case with Packlink – although of course the contract itself was made here in the UK

• 1 month later...

Update:

Claim issued 01/09/2020 and Hermes filed an acknowledgement of service on 07/09/2020 ("I intend to defend all of this claim").

28 days have passed and there is still no defence - do I need to do anything?

Go onto the MoneyClaim website and see if you can apply for a judgement. If you can then go straight ahead and do it.

It may be that somehow they have overlooked it – or else it has gotten lost in the post. Go to the MoneyClaim website now and let us know

Thanks. I just tried this, but I get an error:

1. You can only request Judgment by default if the required number of days have passed.

Strange, I make it over 28 days since issue?

Its 33 including service

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Yes, the 28 days runs from the date of deemed service.

5.7 The claim form will be deemed to be served on the fifth day after the claim was issued irrespective of whether that day is a business day or not. ‘Business day’ has the same meaning as in rule 6.2(b).

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part07/pd_part07e

The usual pass the parcel to Packlink defence...wasnt us Guv.

• Haha 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Yes, this defence is even more facile than the usual garbage.

So basically what they're saying is that yes they lost the parcel.

They don't owe you any contractual responsibility because your contract was with Packlink

They want you to prove the value of the parcel.

On the issue of negligence by them, they want you to prove it.

They say that because they are simply the courier, that they don't have much tracking information 🤣😵🤣

On the question of breach of statutory duty under the data protection rules, they want you to prove it

These people are completely stupid – but we knew that anyway.

• Anyway, on the point of contractual responsibility – they are subject to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act – and they know this and frankly they're wasting everyone's time with this defence.

• On the point of the value of the parcel – you will have to prove this by evidence.

• On the issue of their negligence, clearly you can't prove their negligence because you weren't present. On the other hand, there is a legal principle called Res ipsa loquitur. This is Latin for "the thing speaks for itself" which basically means that there can't be any other possible explanation for the loss of the parcel – unless they want to say that it is standard procedure in some way for them to lose their parcels. When you assert "res ipsa" to the court, you are effectively saying that it is clear that the circumstances of the loss can't be known to you – but the only possible explanation is the defendant's negligence – and the burden of proof then passes to them to prove that they weren't negligent – which they won't be able to do.

• On the issue of not having enough tracking data – this is incredible! The parcel was put into their hands and remained in their hands throughout its entire journey. Packlink simply brokered the deal and organised it. They never saw the parcel or had sight of the parcel. Hermes admit that it came into their possession and they have actually supplied you with tracking evidence of that fact and they are actually supplying you with further tracking evidence showing the last time that it was seen – in their depot. How on earth they can say that they don't have enough tracking data, I have no idea and they are simply wasting everybody's time – yours and more importantly, the courts. It's extraordinary.

• On the question of breach of statutory duty, as long as you can show that you sent and they received a valid SAR, then they have no defence.

• On the issue of them being completely stupid – Res ipsa Loquitur
  • Like 2

:biggrin: res ipsa loquitur

(rayz ip-sah loh-quit-her) n. Latin for "the thing speaks for itself," a doctrine of law that one is presumed to be negligent if he/she/it had exclusive control of whatever caused the injury even though there is no specific evidence of an act of negligence, and without negligence the accident would not have happened. Examples:

a) a load of bricks on the roof of a building being constructed by Highrise Construction Co. falls and injures Paul Pedestrian below, and Highrise is liable for Pedestrian's injury even though no one saw the load fall.

b) While under anesthetic, Isabel Patient's nerve in her arm is damaged although it was not part of the surgical procedure, and she is unaware of which of a dozen medical people in the room caused the damage.

Under res ipsa loquitur all those connected with the operation are liable for negligence. Lawyers often shorten the doctrine to "res ips," and find it a handy shorthand for a complex doctrine.

• Thanks 2

You asked what you should do next.

The answer is – not very much. Wait for the directions questionnaire which will basically want the fee if you are prepared to go ahead to a hearing. It's highly likely that the hearing will be virtual rather than face-to-face. They will offer you mediation – and although frankly I don't like mediation, you have probably better say yes. However, follow the mediation link and see what we are saying about it. Hermes will see it simply as an opportunity to beat you down and to force you to compromise on the amount you are claiming.

If they really insist on defending and they refuse anything then they will push you completely to a hearing.

I shouldn't worry too much – you have an extremely good case and their defence is extremely poor by any standards.

However they are putting you to proof of the value of the item you sent – and you will have to produce this evidence.

I suggest that you start putting together some proper evidence of the value of it – including the actual value as well as the price for which you sold it.

It could be a good idea to prepare this in a very organised way and then send a copy to Hermes in advance and tell them that as they have raised the issue in their defence, you are now providing them with the evidence and they should indicate immediately whether they accept the valuation or they will be disputing it. Point out to them that it will be the in the interests of everybody's time and convenience – including the court – for the valuation to be agreed in advance so this can be flagged up to the judge or the mediator at the inevitable hearing.

If they refuse to do this then at least you will be able to show to a mediator that you have tried to reduce problems and tried to negotiate as much as possible in advance. If it goes to a judge then you will be able to show the judge the same thing and if Hermes, having disputed your valuation all the way, continue to dispute in front of a judge then that will simply go further to demonstrate their intransigence.

So prepare valuation in a very detailed and methodical way. Lots of evidence. Send a copy of it all to Hermes. Make sure that a copy of this valuation is included in your eventual court bundle

• Thanks 1

Of course, if Hermes were less stupid – and if they honestly don't realise that they have received an SAR, then they could at least mitigate their breach of statutory duty by approaching you directly and saying that they are very concerned because you apparently sent them an SAR and they haven't complied. They could then say to you that they are very anxious to remedy this and that if you would kindly send them the SAR again, they will implement it immediately and let you have the data disclosure without any further delay.

This would be a sensible and cooperative and reasonable thing to do – but of course Hermes is too stupid – as they have proved time and time again.

I don't know who runs their data protection department or their litigation department, but they are incompetent and they should be sacked

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any news?

We would really appreciate an update please

Yes please. Full details of any settlement and how it happened would be very useful for everyone who visits this forum. Thanks